NEurope
Hero-of-Time

GameTrailers Shutting Down

Anyone know where I can watch that final twitch stream? (Or do they archive on twitch... literally never beeen on it aside from when everyone was watching the weird crowdsourced pokemon playthrough).

I keep checking in through some sort of reflex and remembering it's gone - what a downer. Very disappointing news - I feel like the current team were a pretty genuine and fun bunch, particularly compared to a few years ago when the site seemed a lot more corporate. I'll always remember the great reactions to Sony's e3 last year.

Also found the consistency they had by having Brandon Jone's voice in every video really made the video production seem notably better than any other game review videos, which often seem to use journos totally ill suited to voice work. Hope he gets picked up somewhere.

Interesting that it happened in the same week as The Independant folded in the UK - speaks a lot about the shifting media landscape. Overall: sad news!

Anyone know where I can watch that final twitch stream? (Or do they archive on twitch... literally never beeen on it aside from when everyone was watching the weird crowdsourced pokemon playthrough).

I keep checking in through some sort of reflex and remembering it's gone - what a downer. Very disappointing news - I feel like the current team were a pretty genuine and fun bunch, particularly compared to a few years ago when the site seemed a lot more corporate. I'll always remember the great reactions to Sony's e3 last year.

Also found the consistency they had by having Brandon Jone's voice in every video really made the video production seem notably better than any other game review videos, which often seem to use journos totally ill suited to voice work. Hope he gets picked up somewhere.

Interesting that it happened in the same week as The Independant folded in the UK - speaks a lot about the shifting media landscape. Overall: sad news!

The video appeared on my Smart TV in the bedroom last night but I don't have the link for you. It was on YouTube, though, if that helps :smile:

http://www.twitch.tv/gametrailers/v/42596137 :(

I've been following the Gaf thread about the closure of GT and a lot of people have made the same comments as some of us on here.

Someone pointed out that something like GT got shut down but something like the following video is allowed the thrive.

Dude has a hell of a lot of subscribers yet he's an absolute idiot! I had a quick look at a few of his other videos and a lot of them are like that. I honestly just don't get it. ::shrug:

I bet there's a crazy amount of others out there you are just like him and can pull in a lot of viewers and yet are a lot less professional than what GT used to do.

I've been following the Gaf thread about the closure of GT and a lot of people have made the same comments as some of us on here.

Someone pointed out that something like GT got shut down but something like the following video is allowed the thrive.

Dude has a hell of a lot of subscribers yet he's an absolute idiot! I had a quick look at a few of his other videos and a lot of them are like that. I honestly just don't get it. ::shrug:

I bet there's a crazy amount of others out there you are just like him and can pull in a lot of viewers and yet are a lot less professional than what GT used to do.

The fact that he feels the need to write "hilarious" in his video name/description says it all really :blank:

I didn't want to click that video because quite frankly I didn't want to give him another view. When I did click it, I managed 20 seconds.

---

At least there's this...

It really goes to show how awful the Internet can be when something as fun as Gametrailers shuts down because people are watching videos by pathetic YouTube personalities instead. I'd estimate that at least 80% of the tech and gaming channels on YouTube are full of content that is just an inane 'personality' talking over generic footage of games - literally no effort involved.

I hope that the guys involved in Game Trailers can end up producing high quality content for YouTube, I want more content like theirs, something that looks like it has some production value and effort behind it. The N-Europe Show is a good example of what we need, clearly DIY but created with a lot of love and with the intention of informing a particular audience, rather than blindly aiming for as many views as they can get.

It really goes to show how awful the Internet can be when something as fun as Gametrailers shuts down because people are watching videos by pathetic YouTube personalities instead. I'd estimate that at least 80% of the tech and gaming channels on YouTube are full of content that is just an inane 'personality' talking over generic footage of games - literally no effort involved.

I hope that the guys involved in Game Trailers can end up producing high quality content for YouTube, I want more content like theirs, something that looks like it has some production value and effort behind it. The N-Europe Show is a good example of what we need, clearly DIY but created with a lot of love and with the intention of informing a particular audience, rather than blindly aiming for as many views as they can get.

I'd be proud if we could achieve even a fraction of what the guys at Gametrailers did. I still see them as the gold standard as far as VG related video content goes! : peace:

The former GT crew have been tweeting this image.

CdPyy4gVAAALzzQ.jpg

Looks like an announcement is happening very soon!

Glad to see them back together, but sad to see the current "GameTrailers" brand going away, and all those content... is going to be as good as gone...