NEurope
Happenstance

Report: Kojima starting up new studio, in talks with Sony

Hideo Kojima has started his own studio, and is in talks with Sony to make games for PlayStation, according to a recent report from Japanese publication Nikkei.

The report, translated from the Japanese, follows Kojima's protracted departure from Konami, with the Metal Gear Solid creator reportedly leaving his long-time employer back in October, news which Konami then bizarrely denied. Earlier reports had suggested Kojima would be staying at Konami until his contract expired towards the end of the year - a point which has seemingly now passed, with the 15th December his final day.

The latter stages of Metal Gear Solid 5's development were riddled with drama, with Konami removing Kojima's name from marketing, closing his studio and, most recently, closing the LA studio that helped developing Phantom Pain's online mode. In the midst of all that, Silent Hills - a project being developed by Kojima in collaboration with Guillermo Del Toro - was also cancelled. Earlier this month, The Game Awards host Geoff Keighley suggested that Hideo Kojima was prohibited from attending the show by Konami.

The rights to Metal Gear Solid remain at Konami, so Kojima will be moving away from the series with which he's been so closely associated. We've asked Sony if it can shed any light at all on the report.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-12-15-report-kojima-starting-up-new-studio-in-talks-with-sony

Good stuff!

Given his history with Sony, and how they give proven developers time to nurture their game, this seems like a no brainer.

I'm hoping he takes a break from story heavy stuff and delivers some crazy mech action again, as seen in the ZoE games.

Good for him. I wish he could pull MGS out of Konami's ghastly grip, but if he did his psychotic fans would demand more. The poor man has wanted to move away from that series for a while and unable to.

It'll be nice to hopefully see his name attached to more varied games again. ZoE, hopefully a quiet knolls (most definitely not silent hills) game, Snatcher still has a following. Games along those lines. He's a pretty big name, gamers will follow him rather than the studio. The same as Clover to Platinum.

:bouncy: Awesome. Great news to wake up to :D

Kojimaproductions.jp

We are Homo Ludens(Those who play).

From the moment we enter this world,

we instinctively invent ways to have "fun",

and share our inventions with those around us.

We are not asked to do this,

nor do we need reasons to create. It is simply who we are.

We find one another

and compete with one another.

We laugh together and cry together all while playing together.

Our experiences bind us and liberate us.

To share our most valuable experiences,

we create stories, invent tools, and evolve the art of play.

Play has been our ally since the dawn of civilization.

"Playing" is not simply a pastime,

it is the primordial basis of imagination and creation.

Truth be told, Homo Ludens(Those who Play) are

simultaneously Homo Faber(Those who Create).

Even if the earth were stripped

of life and reduced to a barren wasteland, our imagination and desire

to create would survive beyond survival,

it would provide hope that flowers may one day bloom again.

Through the invention of play, our new evolution awaits.

KOJIMA PRODUCTIONS We are Homo Ludens.

We are those who play.

Hideo Kojima

funamivnr8y.gif

Also, someone on Gaf pointed this out...

Big Boss working under Cypher:

OWaBDHh.png

Big boss working for himself, free from the clutches of Cypher:

o0JEub8.png

Kojima working under Konami:

3WOo2DZ.png

Kojima working for himself, free from the clutches of Konami:

Jd0zTzj.jpg

:D

Amazing to see it happen so fast. Sony was the natural choice for him, given his long standing relationship with them (and his blatant Sony fanboyism in general :p )

Looking forward to seeing him finally get to work on something new! :D

Now I'm not exactly well versed in languages, but I'm pretty sure that is not how you translate Homo Ludens. Homo is suppose to be Man (or maybe people) correct? Bugs me a bit but whatever, good news all the same.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1157909

Well that's interesting... Looks like it's coming to PC as well! (after the PS4 version releases).

You'd think that Sony would want to lock it down completely :heh:

No need really, not worth the moneyhat. Their main competition is the X1.

The amount of people who would have bought a PS4 for this but now no longer will and will instead wait for a PC version is probably a pretty small slice.

No need really, not worth the moneyhat. Their main competition is the X1.

The amount of people who would have bought a PS4 for this but now no longer will and will instead wait for a PC version is probably a pretty small slice.

Exactly.

Sony have been very smart with their partnerships and how to invest in 3rd party content this generation. Why start making stupid decisions now? :D

Sony have been very smart with their partnerships and how to invest in 3rd party content this generation.

Indeed. Sony's showing the competition how it's done. Hope a certain company takes a good look...

Let's see if Kojima will release the game before 2019 :laughing:

Indeed. Sony's showing the competition how it's done. Hope a certain company takes a good look...

Let's see if Kojima will release the game before 2019 :laughing:

The race between Kojima's new game and FFXV is on. :D

The race between Kojima's new game and FFXV is on. :D

Not quite topic but as a total non-FF fan - is it as big a franchise as its legacy seems to be? Kojima still seems to have a lot of love from the fans, but I do wonder about FF these days.

Not quite topic but as a total non-FF fan - is it as big a franchise as its legacy seems to be? Kojima still seems to have a lot of love from the fans, but I do wonder about FF these days.

Yeah, FF is still a big hitter. The series has been mishandled in recent years ( although I had zero issues with things like Type-0, FFXIII, various ports etc.) but there is still a very large and vocal following.

Yeah FF is a massive deal. It is always hotly anticipated and the main series titles fly off the shelves.

Edited by Sheikah

I guess I implied it wasn't big anymore; I just wondered if it's still as big as it was. Do you guys get as hyped for new ones as you might have for old ones? Trying to put it on a par with some of my other franchise fatigue, if it's comparable at all. I realise it's still quite big, but is it as big as it's always been? Would the hype for Kojima be bigger than FF at this point?

I doubt it, at least not without knowing more about what Kojima is making.

I am very excited for FFXV because it looks amazing. Also off-the-scale excited for FF7 which looks all kinds of awesome.

FFXIV ARR recently showed me that the company really does know what it's doing. Easily one of the best online RPGs ever made.

He has the right outlook on life. 52 and overweight, time to just have fun.