N-Europe

Until Dawn (PS4)

Hero-of-Time

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good man! I look forward to reading your thoughts on the game. Hopefully I haven't hyped it up too much. :D

Depending on how much of MGSV I get through during the week, I may have another run through of this game over the weekend. I need to get everyone killed for a trophy and still find all the collectables.

I'm not super hyped mainly because I'm not 100% sure what to expect. I am excited, though. Just seemed like so much fun at E3 with the audience, I'm hoping it makes a good creaming-at-the-TV party game. Ha!

I'll be taking the camera around to my friend's too.

I love horror games so I'll definitely get this. Is it genuinely scary or is it mainly jump scares? I hate jump scares, I find them cheap and lazy and make me groan more than scare me; don't mind the odd one, but if it relies on them I may not bother.

Don't bother.

I'm not super hyped mainly because I'm not 100% sure what to expect. I am excited, though. Just seemed like so much fun at E3 with the audience, I'm hoping it makes a good creaming-at-the-TV party game. Ha!

I'll be taking the camera around to my friend's too.

Yeah, as a party game the experience will be fantastic. Be sure to upload the camera footage!

I think Until Dawn is scary enough for me. I now know not playing Alien was a good decision. Although in regards of jump scares in Until Dawn, I think it has more than that, especially in the last few chapters. It's probably no Alien, but it's not all jump scares.

Got my platinum yesterday after 3.5 playthroughs.

I think Until Dawn is scary enough for me. I now know not playing Alien was a good decision. Although in regards of jump scares in Until Dawn, I think it has more than that, especially in the last few chapters. It's probably no Alien, but it's not all jump scares.

Got my platinum yesterday after 3.5 playthroughs.

Thanks Tales, not difficult to actually answer someones question and be civill!

Curt short response with the usuals "thanking" because it's so so funny!!!

Love these boards!!!

Passive aggressive sarcasm, because that's also so, so funny and totally constructive.

I love these boards, but mainly I love Until Dawn. There are a load of jump scares, but they're made move effective by the fact that there is an almost constant tension in the moments in between. The camera angles, the soundtrack, the lighting, they all add to the sense of being watched, to the point where I'm looking at every corner of the screen nervously, waiting for someone to appear briefly. When the jump scares do come, they genuinely make me jump, since I'm so tense that my arsehole could crush diamonds.

In short, brilliant game so far.

Thanks Tales, not difficult to actually answer someones question and be civill!

Curt short response with the usuals "thanking" because it's so so funny!!!

Love these boards!!!

The thanking was because it was a short and sweet response to someone being typically negative towards games on these boards. It sometimes seems like you want to be offended by games so you can have a moan about it, especially when you make opening posts like that...

Also, like Goafer says...the sarcasm just makes you look a bit silly.

Edited by Sheikah

There are a load of jump scares, but they're made move effective by the fact that there is an almost constant tension in the moments in between. The camera angles, the soundtrack, the lighting, they all add to the sense of being watched, to the point where I'm looking at every corner of the screen nervously, waiting for someone to appear briefly. When the jump scares do come, they genuinely make me jump, since I'm so tense that my arsehole could crush diamonds.

In short, brilliant game so far.

Exactly how I felt when playing the game. The game has an incredible atmosphere to it.

I told one of my mates about the game. He bought it on Tuesday night and was up until 3am in the morning playing it. He text me later on in the day to say how he loved the game to bits and he eventually finished it last night.

So that's my nephew who finished it in one sitting. He's gamer who doesn't really like single player stuff and prefers online games. Then my mate, who still plays games but rarely finishes one, finishing it in two days. There's clearly something special about this game.

The thanking was because it was a short and sweet response to someone being typically negative towards games on these boards. It sometimes seems like you want to be offended by games so you can have a moan about it, especially when you make opening posts like that...

Also, like Goafer says...the sarcasm just makes you look a bit silly.

How was I being negative? I was asking a question, a perfectly normal question. Just because I've been negative in the past about some games, the usual; defensive attitude on these boards comes out and people have to act like this. And it happens a LOT here, just because I don't like Sony I always get obnoxious, snide responses from people. I very rarely get a straight response on anything. Pathetic.

And you're justifying the response from my previous negative thoughts, yet how many times have you moaned in the nintendo threads about being judged on previous posts? It's unlike you to be a hypocrite....

Not in my experience - you tend to get very thoughtful responses here all the time (this being an exception, and only because you're being such a negative Nancy). Like, very detailed explanations about games, questions about your tastes, and generally being helpful. You see people asking questions here all the time about the PS4 and games, and whether it would be for them. This board is generally a lot of fun - in all honesty, when you are negative people don't tend to flame you either. It's not like the Nintendo boards where negativity is met with personal remarks (for instance Serebii, who recently got himself banned from a topic for flaming me...)

Another way to see this is that you're asking for people's opinions again but when you get them, you often don't listen to them. Like when Hero et al. suggested you shouldn't buy a PS4 as it probably wasn't for you, then you did, and then you complained about it. So...yeah.

Edited by Sheikah

Not in my experience - you tend to get very thoughtful responses here all the time (this being an exception, because you're such a negative Nancy). Like, very detailed explanations about games, questions about your tastes, and generally being helpful. It's why being on this board is about 10 times more fun than the Nintendo one.

Another way to see this is that you're asking for people's opinions again but when you get them, you often don't listen to them. Like when Hero et al. suggested you shouldn't buy a PS4 as it probably wasn't for you, then you did, and then you complained about it.

Negative nancy? Really? And you can't see how childish all this feels?

And no, I don't think they are, well i don't because these boards are very bizarrely defensive and clique-ey and because I don't love the ps4 I rarely, very very rarely get a normal response , I got nothing, or curt responses.

And I don't listen to peoples opinions based on the fact i didn't listen to people trying to tell me what I will do with my money?! Funny that.... Great deductive work though, I don't listen to people telling me what to do with my money so that must mean I don't listen to people about anything...

The people from these boards almost drove me away from the nintendo boards, but they've definitely driven me away from these ones! Pleasant folk!

lol, PS4 boards are the least defensive boards in existence. What really is there to defend? The console is doing gangbusters. :heh:

Anything we don't like we quite rightly air here. Like wankshaftery DLC prices. We're not insecure like that.

And I don't listen to peoples opinions based on the fact i didn't listen to people trying to tell me what I will do with my money?! Funny that.... Great deductive work though, I don't listen to people telling me what to do with my money so that must mean I don't listen to people about anything...

I'm confused.

Are you asking for people's opinion or not? Like here, you're seemingly asking for an opinion, but not...an opinion about what to do with your money? Surely you understand when people are telling you not to buy a game it's not because they fancy being your finance manager, right?

Edited by Sheikah

I think potentially because you phrased your post in a way that set the game out to fail. It's not meant to be a conventional scary game, it's a pastiche of the horror movie genre. I think it's meant to be as much a laugh as it is scary, and that doesn't really lend itself well to a sense of creeping dread. And that's been known about the game for quite a while, at least since E3. There's a reason why there's an option to have the camera take a photo of you when the scares happen.

It's pretty unique for a horror game.

So it sounds like what you're looking for @dazzybee, the game isn't really offering. And it wasn't ever trying to...except maybe when it was a Move game.

Also, Somme and Hero already pretty much answered your question before you asked it on the previous page. So, you know...there's that, too.

lol, PS4 boards are the least defensive boards in existence. What really is there to defend? The console is doing gangbusters. :heh:

Anything we don't like we quite rightly air here. Like wankshaftery DLC prices. We're not insecure like that.

I'm confused.

Are you asking for people's opinion or not? Like here, you're seemingly asking for an opinion, but not...an opinion about what to do with your money? Surely you understand when people are telling you not to buy a game it's not because they fancy being your finance manager, right?

Ha, well we've to just differ on that, I genuinely feel it's incredibly defensive, but it's not a big deal, it's fine to be, but sometimes it's very prickly for 'outsiders' to come in.

As for being confused, sorry I don't think I was clear, wasn't on about this game were I genuinely wanted an opinion on it, I was talking about people telling me to buy a ps4.

I think potentially because you phrased your post in a way that set the game out to fail. It's not meant to be a conventional scary game, it's a pastiche of the horror movie genre. I think it's meant to be as much a laugh as it is scary, and that doesn't really lend itself well to a sense of creeping dread. And that's been known about the game for quite a while, at least since E3. There's a reason why there's an option to have the camera take a photo of you when the scares happen.

It's pretty unique for a horror game.

So it sounds like what you're looking for @dazzybee, the game isn't really offering. And it wasn't ever trying to...except maybe when it was a Move game.

Also, Somme and Hero already pretty much answered your question before you asked it on the previous page. So, you know...there's that, too.

Thanks for actually responding, though the last sentence was a bit unnecessary, I guess there was a lot of talk about jump scares and such and i just wanted clarification, but it seems there is more to it than that so I'm glad I asked... sort of :)

So you feel it IS just jump scares, if it's a bit more clever than that I'm fine with that too, satire, like Scream? I love games like Dead Space, Resident Evil, Eternal Darkness etc The PD Demo was incredible. Even games which shouldn't be creepy but shit me up like Gone Home. I don't mind it being lighter, I just hate things relying on saying BOO really loudly in your face, it's not scary, it's just surprising and jumpy, that's all I was asking

Thanks for actually responding, though the last sentence was a bit unnecessary, I guess there was a lot of talk about jump scares and such and i just wanted clarification, but it seems there is more to it than that so I'm glad I asked... sort of :)

So you feel it IS just jump scares, if it's a bit more clever than that I'm fine with that too, satire, like Scream? I love games like Dead Space, Resident Evil, Eternal Darkness etc The PD Demo was incredible. Even games which shouldn't be creepy but shit me up like Gone Home. I don't mind it being lighter, I just hate things relying on saying BOO really loudly in your face, it's not scary, it's just surprising and jumpy, that's all I was asking

What I've heard is that it's basically everything Heavy Rain wanted to be with the added bonus of not suffering a chronically bad David Cage narrative and instead just shooting for Hollywood horror (both the good and the bad).

That doesn't really answer your question but I'm tempted to say that answering your question doesn't really convey what the game really is. Which is a horror narrative that's designed to involve you more than it is to terrify you.

And, just to clarify, I've not yet put t in the machine yet – saving it for Friday night with a load of friends – so I could be wrong. Basically I literally do not know about jump scares. Maybe watch the E3 demonstration for a better idea. Or even check out someone streaming it on Twitch.

What I've heard is that it's basically everything Heavy Rain wanted to be with the added bonus of not suffering a chronically bad David Cage narrative and instead just shooting for Hollywood horror (both the good and the bad).

That doesn't really answer your question but I'm tempted to say that answering your question doesn't really convey what the game really is. Which is a horror narrative that's designed to involve you more than it is to terrify you.

And, just to clarify, I've not yet put t in the machine yet – saving it for Friday night with a load of friends – so I could be wrong.

is it wrong that I actually really liked Heavy Rain :) The writing wasn't great, but I enjoyed how different it was and the gameplay style. So if it's like that, but a clever hour game sounds kind of exactly what i would love.

I enjoyed Heavy Rain for the same reasons. It's always great when a game tries something new even if it does fall a bit flat hear and there. And you know, we might not have Until Dawn if it wasn't for Heavy Rain and I will always look forward to the next Quantic Dream game because despite their shortfalls they never fail to make gripping games.

Sweet.

Are there any natural breaks like Chapters or Episodes?

Yep, very much so. It almost seems like one of Telltales episodic games but rather than being released one by one they released them all together.

Each take on average about 40mins to an hour.