NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

Yep. Crazy. Wonder if fire emblems crazy success stopped it from happening and instead made the fe sequels happen. Let's hope for one on the nx. And battalion wars while they're at it.

Could be down to the Fire Emblem success. Still, shocking. It's one of the games @Eenuh and I were massively into when we first met.

Not forgetting 1080. Hopefully no for a nice winter '17 release.

I think we can safely say that 1080 is probably the one out of that group that is the least likely to happen. I can't imagine there would be a massive or big enough audience for that, whereas there could well still be for an F Zero-game. Not sure we'll see Wave Race again, either. I'd love all 3.

If Switch takes off like Wii did, they certainly will.

This will not come free to them. They will also need to consider the actual cost of including a screen with their next machines; they'll know they have an upper limit on cost (PS3 taught them that...) so they'll have to absorb the cost themselves which would likely mean they would need to reduce the cost of the components and therefore power.

Maybe it will happen but i'm not sure their consumer base would stomach knowing a second screen at the cost of raw horsepower. I can see both Sony and Microsoft maximising their phones as a portable console before they directly copy Nintendo.

Everytime these games get mentioned I just think of how great the Gamecube's line up was, and that I should just buy some back.

Blue Storm

Avalanche

Burnout 2

Battalion Wars

GX

I'd love a Pilotwings Resort sequel on Switch.

And yeah Excitebike > Truck.

Urgh, it's so frustrating thinking of games we'd like to see on Nintendo's console all the time, and them never coming to fruition.

I think we can safely say that 1080 is probably the one out of that group that is the least likely to happen. I can't imagine there would be a massive or big enough audience for that, whereas there could well still be for an F Zero-game. Not sure we'll see Wave Race again, either. I'd love all 3.

Ubisoft seems to think so:

It's very strange that Ubisoft of all companies would be taking a risk on a new Snowboarding/Sports game with Steep. Far bigger risk than a new 1080 would be... but the difference is, Ubisoft may well put a great/cool media campaign behind it. Nintendo never advertises outside of it's core games.

EDIT: Beaten to it :p

5CFOMEr.gif

Thius has reminded me of the age-old console demand...

Will it make toast? Theres's a decent chance with this one!!!

Maybe it will happen but i'm not sure their consumer base would stomach knowing a second screen at the cost of raw horsepower. I can see both Sony and Microsoft maximising their phones as a portable console before they directly copy Nintendo.
I've been thinking about the Vita.

The Switch handheld look very much like one; not quite as elegant IMO. Sony could add a bigger cartridge slot to a new model of Vita, which would come with a docking station... What else does it need to do?...

Yes the controllers can't come off the end of the Vita, but then that's probably the least appealing aspect of the Switch anyway.

Miis symbolise the things Nintendo did during Wii and Wii U to drive the gamers away. I may be in the minority here on this forum (although it would be interresting to see what the statistics say), but I'm definitely not in the minority in terms of the gaming industry as a whole.

The part of Miiverse you're talking about is great. Just drop the Miis and call it Switchverse or Nintendoverse and I'm all for it.

So you just want them to pretend the Wii/WiiU never happened?

I feel like as an approach, that's a total regression.

Don't pretend that absolutely everything to do with the Wii era was a mistake, because it wasn't.

The Virtual Console idea was made on the Wii. You want them to drop that?

And as much as you disdain them, the Mii's are one of the things they got right. The simplistic art style works well for Ninty, and I personally love rocking my Mii in Mario Kart, I like his stupid dopey voice, and they've provided more than a few hilarious moments on the Mario Kart League. Or would you much prefer the eerily creepy Playstation Home versions? Or the not quite as memorable XBox Avatars?

Dropping everything to do with the Wii is just killing progress. Sure it did things wrong, but it did things right as well. I get the impression your hatred for the Wii name is blinding you a bit.

I reckon if Nintendo implements Pokemon Go on the Switch in an intelligent way by the summer, Switch will sell like camels in the desert.

I thought pokemon would be part of the reveal to piggyback on the success of GO. I'm sure there will be something shown prior to launch.

I thought pokemon would be part of the reveal to piggyback on the success of GO. I'm sure there will be something shown prior to launch.

I reckon they're saving stuff like trading and trainer battles for the Switch.

But I'm just wondering how the Switch will be online outside of the home. Wifi hotspots? or maybe Pokestops will have hotspot information.

So you just want them to pretend the Wii/WiiU never happened?

I feel like as an approach, that's a total regression.

Don't pretend that absolutely everything to do with the Wii era was a mistake, because it wasn't.

The Virtual Console idea was made on the Wii. You want them to drop that?

And as much as you disdain them, the Mii's are one of the things they got right. The simplistic art style works well for Ninty, and I personally love rocking my Mii in Mario Kart, I like his stupid dopey voice, and they've provided more than a few hilarious moments on the Mario Kart League. Or would you much prefer the eerily creepy Playstation Home versions? Or the not quite as memorable XBox Avatars?

Dropping everything to do with the Wii is just killing progress. Sure it did things wrong, but it did things right as well. I get the impression your hatred for the Wii name is blinding you a bit.

I think they need to get rid of Miis and Miiverse in the sense they should be renamed.

Not everything from the Wii era was bad no, but it all needs to be rebranded. The names 'Mii' and 'Miiverse' are obviously linked to the Wii and so in that regard they need to be left behind. If they had a more generic name to begin then it would be fine.

Basically just update the avatars a bit, give us more options and then call them something different, same with Miiverse.

This obviously has no bearing on things like Virtual Console because, as far as the name of the service goes, it isn't so entwined with 'Wii'.

I think you can get away with Mii moving forward as just being a spin on Me.

Amiibo are every bit a part of the Wii/Mii brand, and they're moving forward with those.

I think they need to get rid of Miis and Miiverse in the sense they should be renamed.

Not everything from the Wii era was bad no, but it all needs to be rebranded. The names 'Mii' and 'Miiverse' are obviously linked to the Wii and so in that regard they need to be left behind. If they had a more generic name to begin then it would be fine.

Basically just update the avatars a bit, give us more options and then call them something different, same with Miiverse.

What, so just do what the 3DS did with the Mii maker, but then rename them?

I don't know, that seems a bit... pointless.

What would you even rename them? "Mii" is a very clever name, after all. And something like "Switchverse" doesn't quite roll off the tongue as nicely.

Honestly, if there's anyone who actually claims the reason they wouldn't buy a Switch is "Because Mii's are on it", a rebrand isn't gonna change their mind.

It's a really stupid reason to boot.

Edited by Glen-i

Ubisoft seems to think so:

Yeah, they both feature snow, so I guess they're the same kinda thing.

The Wii U problems were predominantly lack of software, people didn't buy the console because of Miinverse

I think these sort of shortish games (1080, Wave Race (Star Fox)) sell well as launch/launch window titles. Nintendo just need to totally revamp their marketing strategy and commit 100% - not the odd poster outside of a telephone booth that no one uses for any respectable reasons.

I think for games like 1080, Wave Race, F-Zero etc., they need to test the waters with smaller eShop exclusive titles and if they do well, then they can push for retail

I think for games like 1080, Wave Race, F-Zero etc., they need to test the waters with smaller eShop exclusive titles and if they do well, then they can push for retail

Sounds smart.

Sounds lame.

Either that or they don't happen because they don't make money. Your choice :p

Either that or they don't happen because they don't make money. Your choice :p
It's 100% not my choice as it happens. If it was they'd have happened by now. Nintendo has enough money to fall back on. They make a profit off everything they manufacture.

There was no eShop title to test the water for Splatoon... a completely unproven concept.

Not taking risks is cowardice. For every Uncharted 4 there should be a Tearaway. For Every 30 million unit selling Mario Kart there should be a WaveRace. Throw your loyal consumer base a bone.

It's 100% not my choice as it happens. If it was they'd have happened by now. Nintendo has enough money to fall back on. They make a profit off everything they manufacture.

There was no eShop title to test the water for Splatoon... a completely unproven concept.

Not taking risks is cowardice. For every Uncharted 4 there should be a Tearaway. For Every 30 million unit selling Mario Kart there should be a WaveRace. Throw your loyal consumer base a bone.

They do take risks, but those are titles that have proven to not sell. That's not taking a risk, that's pissing money away.

They do take risks, but those are titles that have proven to not sell. That's not taking a risk, that's pissing money away.
Is it? Arguably it costs you your user base in the long run.

Is it? Arguably it costs you your user base in the long run.

Obviously, the userbase that it hypothetically costs them isn't high because those games didn't sell.

Obviously, the userbase that it hypothetically costs them isn't high because those games didn't sell.
They all sell over half a million copies. There are countless games still getting sequels that sell half a millions copies.

An extra 500,000 consoles sold is a significant % for the Wii U.

Edited by Retro_Link