NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

This doesn't mean it'll have bad specs though.

I never said it would. However, if the specs don't suit the needs of 3rd parties then we are back again in the same situation as the Wii U.

My main concern is with red ocean comment. They aren't gonna enter the specs race due to it being a blood bath but, at the same time, the expanded market is hardly a safe zone and could arguably be a more bloodier battle due to the pull of phones and tablets. Its certainly a precarious position they are in.

It's Nintendo of course it will have bad specs.

In the past, blue/red ocean was used to justify just that. Not going into the highest specs console war and doing something unexpected. Thing is, it's still possible to sink in the blue ocean.

We have to see what blue ocean Nintendo go for, and you are right, it doesn't necessarily mean the software will be constrained by weak hardware... but it is, from looking at past experiences, a little concerning. For me even a fantastically well received piece of hardware like the wii would be disappointing. But then I won't be their target audience for a while in any case! I'm getting my 5 years out of the Wii U before I consider buying an NX!

It's Nintendo of course it will have bad specs.

with the exception of internet and hard drive, the Gamecube stood up very well against the xbox and beat the ps2 in terms of specs. In fact I'm not sure the gamecube wasn't arguably the most powerful console of its generation in terms of RAM, CPU and GPU.

I never said it would. However, if the specs don't suit the needs of 3rd parties then we are back again in the same situation as the Wii U.

My main concern is with red ocean comment. They aren't gonna enter the specs race due to it being a blood bath but, at the same time, the expanded market is hardly a safe zone and could arguably be a more bloodier battle due to the pull of phones and tablets. Its certainly a precarious position they are in.

Well for the foreseeable future, there aren't to be any Scorpio or Neo exclusive games, so developers need to cater for the originals, and the NX is likely on par with those, so it should be fine

with the exception of internet and hard drive, the Gamecube stood up very well against the xbox and beat the ps2 in terms of specs. In fact I'm not sure the gamecube wasn't arguably the most powerful console of its generation in terms of RAM, CPU and GPU.

And was released in 2001.

This is not the same Nintendo, we all know that.

They've changed since then, they can change back. There is evidence of new blood coming forward (with splatoon and apparently zelda is being well received). The NX may, with any luck, have been a little influenced by this new blood. I think the Wii U has humbled Nintendo, even if they put up a bold front of being stubborn and set in their ways, it looks like they took the knock and have begun to take steps to respond to the negative reaction to the Wii U.

I don't see any reason to be so pessimistic.. sure no need to be optimistic either, other than it's a bit more fun. Plenty of doom and gloom in the world without imagining up more.

They've changed since then, they can change back. There is evidence of new blood coming forward (with splatoon and apparently zelda is being well received). The NX may, with any luck, have been a little influenced by this new blood. I think the Wii U has humbled Nintendo, even if they put up a bold front of being stubborn and set in their ways, it looks like they took the knock and have begun to take steps to respond to the negative reaction to the Wii U.

I don't see any reason to be so pessimistic.. sure no need to be optimistic either, other than it's a bit more fun. Plenty of doom and gloom in the world without imagining up more.

Wholeheartedly agree. : peace:

I love that gif, but mostly for Yoshi's little face when he still has hope.

Well for the foreseeable future, there aren't to be any Scorpio or Neo exclusive games, so developers need to cater for the originals, and the NX is likely on par with those, so it should be fine

The console still needs to shift numbers though for third parties to get on board.

Nintendo are going to have competition on price in a slim xbone S which has a UHD Blu ray player. That alone makes the NX a tough sell when it's likely to not be anymore powerful as well as not having the same amount of software support. That's without even thinking about the PS4.

They may claim to be fighting for a different audience but they are in the home console market and there market is video gamers whether they like it or not.

Miyamoto says they're looking to work on a "new kind" of Mario that they might show at E3 next year. Low key confirmation that there won't be a Mario title at launch or just not a "new kind" of one? Or just speculating while we wait?

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/06/16/e3-2016-nintendo-a-new-kind-of-mario-is-coming

I'll be disappointed if the console doesn't launch with a 3D Mario.

The best thing about the interview is that it once again highlights that the new, younger developers are making them question things. First Splatoon, then Zelda and now Mario. There's a few of us on here that have said many times that the old guard need to step aside and let others take a crack at things. It's refreshing to see/hear that this is starting to happen.

The console still needs Nintendo to throw money at third parties to get them onboard.

Fixed that for you

I'll be disappointed if the console doesn't launch with a 3D Mario.

The best thing about the interview is that it once again highlights that the new, younger developers are making them question things. First Splatoon, then Zelda and now Mario. There's a few of us on here that have said many times that the old guard need to step aside and let others take a crack at things. It's refreshing to see/hear that this is starting to happen.

Fun fact. The last time a Nintendo console launched with a 3D Mario game was 1996. 2004 if you count the DS with the remake of that game.

Edited by Serebii
Automerged Doublepost

Fixed that for you

Well yes that would help when the console bombs at retail like the wii u did. Publishers do not leave money on the table. If the can make money getting games on Nintendo hardware they will.

Fun fact. The last time a Nintendo console launched with a 3D Mario game was 1996. 2004 if you count the DS with the remake of that game.

Fixed that for you.

I'm well aware that the N64 was the last time Nintendo launched a console with a 3D Mario. It still doesn't stop me from being disappointed if they don't have one for the NX.

The launch of the N64 with a standout Mario game was an event and it's one I would like see repeated for the NX.

They might have a new Mario to show next E3? Might?

What has the Mario team been doing since 3D world then?

I must admit I thought all of the delay and all of the new games that aren't being released was to make damn sure they did have a strong launch line up.

There could be a brand new IP I suppose.

They might have a new Mario to show next E3? Might?

What has the Mario team been doing since 3D world then?

I must admit I thought all of the delay and all of the new games that aren't being released was to make damn sure they did have a strong launch line up.

There could be a brand new IP I suppose.

Well let's see what we have on the cards

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Potentially that Smash Bros. remaster

Pikmin 4 has been "nearing completion" for year now and, unless it's "Pikmin 4 Mobile", it'll be NX

We also have what Retro have been working on. That'll probably be launch

I'd also be surprised if we went launch without anything Splatoon

You also seem to not realise game development times. They're not Activision/Ubisoft where they can churn stuff out yearly. The Mario team is one studio, and they did do some Captain Toad work since then.

They want to maximise launch window sales.. Zelda will likely be launch, a mario game is likely to be another big hitter. If they release March then mario being released in the "holiday" period at the end of the year makes sense. Having games like splatoon, maybe mariokart between then as multiplayer games would be sound (as well as various smaller titles). imo. I'd like mario at launch but realistically Zelda will need a few months before there is space for another single player game.

Remember that they said they want to have a steady stream of games for NX. They're probably actually gonna be sitting on completed games so that they can spread the schedule out.

Pikmin 4 is probably already done now, while Retro's next game may already be complete (DKCTF came out November 2013, that's a really long time ago!)

The new Mario might be nearing completion, but it doesn't mean that they have to release it straight away...

The problem I have is that I don't trust Nintendo enough to think that they will have games ready and so won't have droughts. For the simple fact that they'd been saying this for years regarding the WiiU.

Don't get me wrong, I hope the NX is what I've always wanted and that it draws 3rd Parties and does well... but I have much more faith in Nintendo giving it all up than I do in them getting it right.

BTW, someone pointed out something that I'm surprised that I didn't cop onto myself...

WLMBgtB.png

The scrolling menu in BOTW? Seems like it could be a bit clunky when you have tons of items, doesn't it?

Well, what if they're designed for the NX controller having the shoulder button scroll wheels? Now the menu design suddenly makes a lot more sense ;)

They want to maximise launch window sales.. Zelda will likely be launch, a mario game is likely to be another big hitter. If they release March then mario being released in the "holiday" period at the end of the year makes sense. Having games like splatoon, maybe mariokart between then as multiplayer games would be sound (as well as various smaller titles). imo. I'd like mario at launch but realistically Zelda will need a few months before there is space for another single player game.

I take issue with Zelda getting the spotlight. It's a Wii U game. I'd rather have a new 3D Mario game at launch, that has been built from the ground up using the new hardware.

While having Splatoon and Smash GOTY editions is nice, again, these are Wii U games.

EDIT: Nice find, @Dcubed! Detective Gaf doing the business or someone else?

Well let's see what we have on the cards

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Potentially that Smash Bros. remaster

Pikmin 4 has been "nearing completion" for year now and, unless it's "Pikmin 4 Mobile", it'll be NX

We also have what Retro have been working on. That'll probably be launch

I'd also be surprised if we went launch without anything Splatoon

You also seem to not realise game development times. They're not Activision/Ubisoft where they can churn stuff out yearly. The Mario team is one studio, and they did do some Captain Toad work since then.

They have not committed to Zelda being a launch title, and Zelda delays are always expected - espcially seeing the scope of the game.

Whilst all larger games have a long lead in, by the time the NX is out they will have had 2 and 1/4 years since Captain Toad (and I don't believe they won't have been working on the next mario game in some form during the development of that title).

A launch that had a smash and/or splatoon remaster and Pikmin 4 would have to have a pretty awesome Retro game to make it seem special.

EDIT: Nice find, @Dcubed! Detective Gaf doing the business or someone else?

Yup. Felt stupid after not noticing it myself :p

BTW, I'm gonna go on record here and state that I actually don't think Zelda BOTW will be a launch title... (it'll be near launch though I reckon; probably like May-June)

I take issue with Zelda getting the spotlight. It's a Wii U game. I'd rather have a new 3D Mario game at launch, that has been built from the ground up using the new hardware.

While having Splatoon and Smash GOTY editions is nice, again, these are Wii U games.

I also suspect that most of the near launch NX exclusive games would've started off as Wii U titles. It's actually standard fare for Nintendo to push their late gen titles to their next platform and almost all of their launch titles started early development on previous hardware (even Mario 64 spent its early development life on the Super FX dev kits for instance; while all of their Wii launch titles were made on GCN dev kits with Wiimotes attached - some like Wario Ware SM not even getting widescreen support added).

If they hadn't announced BOTW for Wii U to begin with and just showed it for NX, you'd probably be none the wiser really.

Edited by Dcubed

Yup. Felt stupid after not noticing it myself :p

BTW, I'm gonna go on record here and state that I actually don't think Zelda BOTW will be a launch title...

I also suspect that most of the near launch NX exclusive games would've started off as Wii U titles. It's actually standard fare for Nintendo to push their late gen titles to their next platform and almost all of their launch titles started early development on previous hardware (even Mario 64 spent its early development life on the Super FX dev kits)

So you really think Zelda will be later than next March?

I don't want to wait any longer than that :(