NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

There's no way on hell or Earth that the 3DS lasts longer in sleep than the Vita. The 3DS is infamous for its shit battery (it lasts considerably less than the Vita and has far less impressive specs).

The 3DS lasts maybe a few days at most if you close the lid, and even then the battery has depleted considerably (possibly due in part to Streetpass). My Vita can last just over a week in sleep.

My Vita can barely last a day and half before it starts flashing manically needing a charge. Piss poor battery

My Vita can barely last a day and half before it starts flashing manically needing a charge. Piss poor battery

Sounds like there's something wrong with your unit then.

Given how rarely I'm guessing you play it that could also be an issue. Batteries can die when not used often.

My Vita and 3DS both last in standby for plenty of time. Actual use both with 4-5 hours as I adjust brightness. My Vita no longer turns on sadly though.

With Nintendo moving into movies, do you reckon they'll expand the eshop to include media akin to the PS and Xbox stores? Obviously they could just sell their own stuff, but given the money the competitors make from their storefronts it might be beneficial.

12 hours is WAY beyond what the 3DS and Vita are capable of. I think the DS Lite could do that if you put the screen down to the lowest brightness setting.

I think I get about a month from my Vita on standby and 6-8 hours of gameplay. 3DS is much less impressive but I don't have the new 3DS to compare.

I was referring to standby time. Maybe Sheikah is right given the thing was collecting dust (a LOT of dust) in my drawer for so long, maybe that drained the battery.

I was referring to standby time. Maybe Sheikah is right given the thing was collecting dust (a LOT of dust) in my drawer for so long, maybe that drained the battery.

Why do you have dust in your drawer? :grin:

Seriously though, battery life is so important for a controller. The Gamepad, 3DS and Dualshock 4 are so damn frustrating as they need charging so often. The worst thing about the gamepad is that you can't charge it through the console so I have to charge it from the other side of the room where there is a spare socket. It makes co-op a bit weird when me and the girlfriend are sat so far away from each other.

Oddly enough I think it was much better last generation with the DS Lite and PS3.

Why do you have dust in your drawer? :grin:

Seriously though, battery life is so important for a controller. The Gamepad, 3DS and Dualshock 4 are so damn frustrating as they need charging so often. The worst thing about the gamepad is that you can't charge it through the console so I have to charge it from the other side of the room where there is a spare socket. It makes co-op a bit weird when me and the girlfriend are sat so far away from each other.

Oddly enough I think it was much better last generation with the DS Lite and PS3.

http://www.amazon.com/Charger-Cable-Nintendo-Gamepad-Controller-u/dp/B00FRD777E

Not an issue for myself.. and probably not something you are interested in investing in at this stage of the Wii U's life. Might have been a good idea for Nintendo to release something like that with the Wii U itself though, particularly with the premium that comes with the cradle.. I never use that charging cradle because of the inconvenience of switching the power cable.

With the gamepad, battery life is shocking.. I recall the high capacity battery going quite cheap a while back, I missed out on the deal by about an hour it seems, but was hopeful an equal or better deal would turn up down the line. Sadly no :(

But for the 3DS I really don't find it is an issue.. perhaps because I have a usb charging cable for that and I charge it up whenever I find myself out and about and near a powered usb socket. I know that's not great for the battery health but as I said, it still lasts easily on 3 days.. and if it's not on standby generally it gets charged ever day or two anyway. For me it needs to last 2 days with moderate use, and the 3ds does that comfortably. I guess it is feasible that battery life isn't equal even with the same model... knowing your battery has an inherent fault would require too much effort measuring it etc, and the battery life stated tends to say "upto" according to use. Screen brightness, use of sound etc. and even the games used will all presumably influence how quickly the battery discharges, as well as the pattern of charging and discharging.

I've heard the extremes of battery use - rarely fully discharging and regularly recharging and the second strategy of fully discharging and charging back up to full charge, are either the best or the worst strategies for the battery health (depending on the source :P). So I don't care any more and tend to use both according to which proves the most convenient at that particular moment :D

Edited by Pestneb

I got that deal but there is a hidden downside - the full battery does make the gamepad much heavier. For an already heavy device it is a bit of an issue. It means I would much rather play with the light as a feather pro controller instead.

I got that deal but there is a hidden downside - the full battery does make the gamepad much heavier. For an already heavy device it is a bit of an issue. It means I would much rather play with the light as a feather pro controller instead.

I always wondered why they didn't include the high capacity battery - now I know!

Talking of battery life (I never found a problem with the Gamepad, but then I only played for a couple of hours max, and then stored it in the cradle) the PS4 controller seems to be getting worse and worse. I think my main problem is that it's on while I'm watching a bluray, and draining battery the whole time. Some sort of low power mode while watching something would be better.

I think my main problem is that it's on while I'm watching a bluray

Turn it off, then?

It's funny, I never had any problems controllers. My DS4, 3DS, Vita, Pro Controller, penis, etc all last longer than what you guys are experiencing. ::shrug:

The Gamepad is horrible, though. Not that it's an issue as I don't use my Wii U anymore :p

Ok, I might try that, but then you have to turn in on when you want to pause the bluray. A low power mode which didn't drain the battery, but waited for inputs would be better.

It literally takes half a second to turn the controller back on and 2 seconds to turn it off again...

Yes, a standby mode would be slightly more convenient but is hardly necessary.

Gamepad battery life is horrific. DS4 isn't great either. They claim 10 hours but mine has never lasted that long. Not even close.

DS4 battery life doesn't bother me as I have my laptop within cord distance at all times. With the GamePad, I'm not always near a plug socket. Although ironically the way my bedroom is set up at the moment, I do, but the Gamepad is gathering dust so it doesn't matter.

Anything new? Whats the likelihood of Nintendo doing a 180 and showcasing NX at E3? Has it been done before?

Ok, I might try that, but then you have to turn in on when you want to pause the bluray. A low power mode which didn't drain the battery, but waited for inputs would be better.

Might be worth checking your TV remote . A lot of modern TVs can pass commands to the PS3/PS4.

Might be worth checking your TV remote . A lot of modern TVs can pass commands to the PS3/PS4.

That's worth a try. I did what Drahkon said, and it works, but it's a faff pulling up the menu to turn off the controller, during which the blu ray continues to play, so you miss stuff.

I might just set up a USB cable near the sofa so I can keep the controller plugged in when watching something.

Anything new? Whats the likelihood of Nintendo doing a 180 and showcasing NX at E3? Has it been done before?

They could and should, but Nintendo are stubborn

I wouldn't get your hopes up lol, that would be a giant 180 so close to the event

You've got a better chance of 1080 than that 180.

Thank you and good night!