NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
gmanprime

"A Quiet Revolution?"

I think this time Nintendo has more hype than last gen. I remember what an impact the DS made at E3 and I think with the Revo they will built on that success and release it close after E3 when everyone is talking about the system.

I recently had to get my hair cut and talked with my barber about games, he's over 30 an playing PC from time to time. He said he's also anticipating the Revolution and if they pull the control thing off quite good, he'll also get a Revo. He goes as far as to say he wants a Revo purely for the fun, the graphics are always weaker than the PC and that was the reason for him not to buy a console so far.

If Nintendo manages to attract him, surely there are many other people attracted who losts interested in gaming or weren't interested so far.

The DS is a little indication on that, although the PSP has better graphics, more multimedia functions and the Sony logo on it, the DS is still at least on par and many developers favour the DS over the PSP. Surely in the handheld market Nintendo was already strong but with the DS they also built up some reputation that their innovations work. I guess a lot of DS owners will also get a Revo, especially if there is a good connectivity and you can download demos on your DS via Revolution.

This time I think the market share is pretty equally divided in terms of console sales. I guess every company will get about 1/3 but ultimately the console sales are more important but I don't want to make any predicition on that.

any of the big three could win, a mix of skill and luck is involved, some may need more than others, and some possibilities seem more likely to us, but we all know what we would like.

I won't build an semi elaborate story round this, but

360 vs PS3, PS3 wins.

Rev has a different control system, either does a DS, or a GC, or perhaps a mix of the two?

It all depends on console prices, marketing, and pure simple luck. It's a bit hard to judge how the Rev. will perform since we don't know jack all about it. I'm going to wait until E3 before I launch a proper prediction.

well i dont really know which way to call it. but 1 thing i will say is that luck has nothing to do with it. it is all about marketing.

Nintendo make more money from gaming than ANYONE else!! More than SOny and more than EA.

On the flipside I also agree with the person who defended MS decision to lose money to make money - ever heard of speculate to accumulate!?! Morally its wrong, but it does work. Microsoft lose lots of money last gen to build up the userbase, this gen they make money from their new adoring fanbase - simple!!! WIll it work, probably, but hopefully not!!!

Personally ive gone past caring who 'wins' I love NIntendo's products, ill continue to buy them, on a genuine level I really believe they have revolutionised gaming with the DS (which I think is incredible, fresh, exciting and many other superlatives) and what they could potentially do with the revolution excites more than anything gaming has ever excited me before!!! SO I would like everyone else to buy NIntendo products and it become number 1 all over the world, as that would mean more games would come over - pro evo, virtua tennis etc etc. But im not that bothered if not!!

Well I think the Revolution is going to pull an even bigger DS on us! And while m$ tries to keep up with sony by flashing the cash around, nintendo will easily capture a lot of new ground with the casual gamers, which will ultimately be a lot more profitable than the hardcore gamers. There are a lot more potential "non gamers who'd like a brain training game or a learn-to-speak-english-game" than "hard core attic gamer nerds who crave for the newest halo". No offence meant, halo is great, but I think you know what I'm trying to say here. If there's one company going for the mass market, it sure is nintendo this time round. There's a big buck to be made with the new and untapped female and adult gamer market.

By the way, the problem with microsoft is that they want a place in the industry by throwing money around, whereas imo sony an nintendo put just that little bit more effort into bringing actual quality software to their consoles to justify the buck spent. The only microsoft franchises worth mentioning imo are halo and fable. The rest is either third party or a combo of marketed money and hype. I think the reason microsoft is putting off all those japanese people is because of their upfront money mtv attitude. They're just licking butt too much. It's embarassingly obvious. I liked some of the xbox software but now with the 360 they've just gone too family happy happy greedy for me. Just look at their software launch lineup. 90% of it is rehashed bull with a couple of better shaved balls. You can see the money drool all over their faces when they're talking about how they are "driving the industry forward" bwahaha! Come on, surely even they must know what a load of crap they're saying by using the word innovation. Expantion would be a better word for microsoft, just look at how good they're expanding x-live.

But hey, don't get me wrong, I'll probably buy a 360 when the price is like HALF!!! and fable 2's out.

Sony have a generation of young people with money to blow as loyal consumers, they have been building this base up since the 90s.. and they wont go away easily.

Playstation has always been marketted as the toy for big boys, and while Nintendo are going after a different market I doubt it will be 'Quiet' think about the iPod effect.

Many people buy iPods, to get the matching mac mini is marketted as any accesory, and hopefully many revolution customers will go for a revolution to partner with their DS.

If they don't include DS : revolution interoperabilities besides it acting as a wireless access point I will be disapointed because they will be losing out on a lot of 'on the fence' consumers.

the cost of a DS and a revolution does not even beging to compare to that of a PS3 and a PSP.. nintendo just have to get them to work well and they can reap the rewards, this is not to say many people will buy a revolution and then consider getting a DS after.. most mac owners own an iPod because it's the only thing that works properly.. but obviously this is not a totally fair analogy.

edit. there is a considerable amount of fanboy factor in this thread i would like to point out the DS is my first nintendo console since the original gameboy and until recently i've owned a PS1 and PS2.. so my comments are reasonably balanced.

The loyal Fanbase of sony... o.k. the most of them must be around 24 years old now. Good time to sell a mediacenter because now most of them earn money now and probably get their own home. But You miss something: The most hardcore gamers do nok have a work. Through games like GTA many people turned into something like we saw in the movie KIDS! Taking drugs, skating and gangbang...it´s like that. i know what i´m talking about! So a PS3 is only affordable for those who got drugdealers!!!

If the ps3 costs 499$ or more Sony is screwd. Most people won't spend that much on a gaming consolle. And especially not if the 360 costs half the price and has the same gfx. And even if sony sell it for 499$ thats with about 200$ loss.

Imo microsoft will come out on topp thans to Live and easy development.

If revolution is as good as i hope it will atleast land on second.

But If sony manages to releases PS3 for an afordable price PS3 might win. (Even though i still doubt it)

Nintendo will not gain ground on Sony.

That'll never happen - it's not like Nintendo's aiming to steal away gamers buying Sony consoles and buying the Rev. It's not their market.

Instead, Nintendo will make more ground by getting new gamers. The PS3 will not fail because of the Revolution because they don't really compete directly. I'm pretty confident that the Rev'll outsell the Cube no problem, but not by stealing PS and Xbox fanbase.

Actually I think that Nintendo's step also expands the 360 and PS3 userbase because Nintendo is not aiming for the 'old' games market anymore. I think a lot of Cube buyers will be tempted to buy a 360 or PS3, just to have 'the Revolution' and/or 'a regular'.

I don't get why everyone says that the revolution won't be able to take fans away from sony. My brother has been a sony fan boy since the PS came out when he was 15 and I showed him the revolution trailor and he was won over.

With sony pushing such high prices with out evan changing the controller to its console I realy believe if Nintendo markets properly it should be able to win back some of the "Hard Core" gamers.

Edit: Just to add I think not only will alot of gamers look to revolution as there second system but I think many sony and MS fan will see revolution as thier only system. Own multiple platforms cost a lot of money to the middle classman. Heck evan if they only get a PS3 it would be like a 800 dollar investment at least including Games/controllers/memorie and what not.

Ya know we've all forgotten people no longer buy consoles exclusively. Nintendo knows this, in fact i think they are counting on it. Nintendo's being pretty ambitious but we have to remember they are aiming to compete by not competing, that makes it a whole lot easier and cheaper for them to come out on top

I don't get why everyone says that the revolution won't be able to take fans away from sony. My brother has been a sony fan boy since the PS came out when he was 15 and I showed him the revolution trailor and he was won over.

With sony pushing such high prices with out evan changing the controller to its console I realy believe if Nintendo markets properly it should be able to win back some of the "Hard Core" gamers.

I'm not saying they won't, but I think the impact on the PS or XB userbase will not make a big difference. Of course, Nintendo'll 'convince' some gamers to the Revolution, but likewise Nintendo fans will be scared off by the Revolution. The PS and Xbox gamers are not the audience Nintendo is mainly aiming for.

If Nintendo get more "mature" geams on teh console this time round I'm sure it will do them A LOT of good, as well as advertising and cheapness of it all (as well as being a well build machine as 'tendo are known for)

I think it's anything goes, really it's all down to the customer and what they're made to think they want.

I took a glimpse at the bottom of your post and decided not to read the whole thing for one perfect reason, it was a prediction and has no facts.

But i took one look at the top, i incredibly doubt PS3 will decline in sales because of a marketing campaign by Nintendo. Maybe in japan, a slight chance in america, and definitly not in europe.

But atm, it is a quiet revolution, hardly any one knows anything about the revolution (well any of us).

my guess will be the PSP vs DS all over again, Revo launches, PS3 Launches, Nintendo ship 4 times as many units as Sony, Revo sells half of its shipped units, PS3 sells out, average consumer assumes PS3 has sold better because its not available anywhere, PS3 comes back in stock, Revo sales slow right down because the "more popular" console that "has" sold way more units is now back in stock, Revo gets moved to back of shop.

During all this the Xbox 360 is selling very few units because its been out a year already and is the "mid-range" model (be honest, how often does a mid-range model of anything sell the best? most people will decide an extra £50 or so is worth it to get a PS3) and the Xbox moves back beside the Revo.

Ultimate result: Sony own 70% of the shelve space in every games shop

Based on how people in my area talk about the Next Generation (Or, you could say it's the turnover now), Xbox 360 might ctually come out as a winner. Lately people I know are talking much about Xbox 360, little about PS3, but none of them even know there's a new Nintendo coming out. a sure sign Nintendo will need to hype the Revolution before it's too late, well, from my point of view. I also think it's Xbox' turn to shine, with a possible two generation dominance, and then to Nintendo.

PS3 isn't being hyped enough as I would normally expect, at least, where I'm living, people used to be going on about it like crazy, but now, they've forgotten, the 360 has consumed them. But then again, they didn't know it was coming out until about a month before launch.

Revolution needs better marketing this time 'round or else nobody will even care. Better hype, much better games, (It appears they've thrown in a few FPS' so far, not "thrown in" as rushed, mind you).

Nobody I've showed the controller to thinks it's good. They don't seem to understand what the whole motion sensors thing is. I try to explain, but they're still under the impression that you have to use the A and B buttons and the D-Pad for everything. So they say it looks really awkward and it'll suck. I suppose, if the Rveolution is any good, I'll be giving them a try, and then they'll be able to form an opinion on it.

Anyway, more adult appeal, but not too much is also a good key. 'Cube lacked in Adult Appeal, the ads mainly featured the more cartoony titles (Note: I don't really like calling them "kiddy", there just cartoony you might say, what's kiddy can't really be judged. I've seen 8 year olds who love GTA, so GTA is kiddy. Can't really say what's "kiddy"). Most people who don't look into this things and judge by the first thing they see think "Oh man, that looks so uncool and kiddy (=( ), who'd play that".

I know Nintedno will take a more adult approach, but they shouldn't go overboard. I still want to have my good ol' non violent, cartoony games.

In conclusion: I rambled, bleh! I just say, Nintendo needs to Hype and make the controller look "cool".

my guess will be the PSP vs DS all over again, Revo launches, PS3 Launches, Nintendo ship 4 times as many units as Sony, Revo sells half of its shipped units, PS3 sells out, average consumer assumes PS3 has sold better because its not available anywhere, PS3 comes back in stock, Revo sales slow right down because the "more popular" console that "has" sold way more units is now back in stock, Revo gets moved to back of shop.

OK how is that like the PSP vs. DS, when the DS has clearly sold more units than the PSP

Nobody I've showed the controller to thinks it's good. They don't seem to understand what the whole motion sensors thing is. I try to explain, but they're still under the impression that you have to use the A and B buttons and the D-Pad for everything. So they say it looks really awkward and it'll suck. I suppose, if the Rveolution is any good, I'll be giving them a try, and then they'll be able to form an opinion on it.

Have you tried showing them the trailer from TGS?? Thats probably the best ad that nintendo have ever made. It just simply puts across/implies the functionality and verstility of the controller. Plenty of people (online anyway) have said that after they saw the trailer they "got it" but they were confused/shocked/disappointed before viewing the trailer

Nintendo will not gain ground on Sony.

Man so negative!

I think Sony will win if they don't fuck up to start with.

And they did... They really did.

Hey hey that was before E3. Sony's cocking up big time so I retract my statement. The Wii will thrash the PS3, especially during launch time.

The Playstation's user base is 60% casual gamers so Nintendo could be able to eat in that big time.

:o HE BUMPED TEH THREAD LOCK LOCK LOCK LOCK!!1!!1!

Yeh I think everyone thought the same back then. Sony winning, Nintendo still the losers with crap sales. But now I think it's the opposite.

Sign in to follow this