NEurope
drahkon

Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions

The game looks stunning but I'm finding the price to be really steep. I'll end up getting it at some point, most likely when a good deal comes along.

So this is pretty much the greatest game ever made. Looks like @Daft is the only one on my friends list playing so far, though. Who's blasting away on ps4? add me on TheStorkHimself.

So this is pretty much the greatest game ever made. Looks like @Daft is the only one on my friends list playing so far, though. Who's blasting away on ps4? add me on TheStorkHimself.

: peace: Will add you today.

I don't understand how to play this well.

Practice, practice, practice (I know, practically the worst advice there is) :p

The more you play the easier it is for you to understand the enemies' behaviour. You'll know where to shoot, where to move, where to look. The latter is basically the most important thing to learn.

Look ahead, plan ahead.

That's the beauty of Geometry Wars. You only have splitseconds to react and plan. But when you are on a roll...nothing can stop you.

It currently feels like a more stripped-down and unforgiving Super Stardust HD.

I don't understand how to play this well.

Practice, practice, practice (I know, practically the worst advice there is) :p

The more you play the easier it is for you to understand the enemies' behaviour. You'll know where to shoot, where to move, where to look. The latter is basically the most important thing to learn.

Look ahead, plan ahead.

That's the beauty of Geometry Wars. You only have splitseconds to react and plan. But when you are on a roll...nothing can stop you.

I'd second what Drahkon says in this instance. Although I did feel like the level structure makes practice harder in a sense as your going from one to the next. That's why I just play each level in order until I hit that star wall and then go back and sequentially try to master each level and get 3 stars. I have Dyson who seemingly had unobtainable scores and I've beaten a couple of them. Last night was in the zone on one level when I eventually bit the bullet I didn't even realise how high my score was.

Free update on the way. :yay:

The update adds 40 new stages to Adventure Mode, new boss battles, 3D grid shapes and gameplay types. The previous level gating system has been revised to make it easier for players to progress and unlock modes.

Elsewhere, Hardcore mode lets you play 20 dedicated levels without using a drone or super. There are individual leaderboards for this, too.

Evolved is a free download for existing Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions and will be available on 31st March on PlayStation 4 and PS3, PC, Mac and Linux via Steam. It launches on 1st April on Xbox One and Xbox 360.

Source

Have played the coop levels with a mate last week. We 3-stared every level. Was a blast :)

Just got the update. It seems to have removed the stars requirement in mission mode, makes it easier to progress without having to replay levels.

Just realized the update was out. Damn you, Bloodborne.

Will give this a go later : peace:

Edit: Seems to be an incredible update. Lots of content, interesting new mechanics. And it's a free upgrade. : peace:

Edited by drahkon

Why have I never realised this was a.) out b.) actually on 360 and PS3? It is, right? What's the price for it? Is there any major difference between PS360 and PS4XBone?

Why have I never realised this was a.) out b.) actually on 360 and PS3? It is, right? What's the price for it? Is there any major difference between PS360 and PS4XBone?

I have it 360 and it seems to have the full package. Can't vouch for the graphics but can't imagine them being much better.

Kind of loving the game but I sort of feel like there are actually too many modes? Like, I'm not sure which leaderboards to focus on. Liking the new extreme ones though.

Also co-op is great fun but I'm a bit bummed out that the update didn't add in some extra levels!

In any case, I challenge anyone to attempt to top my life affirming pacifism classic score...

2ewgrah.jpg

That's an amazing score : peace:

Really need to get back to Geometry Wars :( Damn you, Bloodborne and The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth :laughing:

So this is on a sale! £6.30 atm, thought it was worth a go at that price. Played about half hour or so already(kept replaying levels, but I'll go back later on now) - basically just beaten the first boss.

@Fierce_LiNk I know you've just bought some stuff in the Halloween sale but if this was taking your fancy I think £6.30 isn't that bad a price for it; the 'one more go' factor can really rack up one's playtime! Drahkon's beasted my friends leaderboards though(which is like...him and 4 people from here).

Did you have to remind me of this game? I still need a couple of trophies for the Platinum...

Drahkon's beasted my friends leaderboards though

That's what you get, bitch. :p

So this is on a sale! £6.30 atm, thought it was worth a go at that price. Played about half hour or so already(kept replaying levels, but I'll go back later on now) - basically just beaten the first boss.

@Fierce_LiNk I know you've just bought some stuff in the Halloween sale but if this was taking your fancy I think £6.30 isn't that bad a price for it; the 'one more go' factor can really rack up one's playtime! Drahkon's beasted my friends leaderboards though(which is like...him and 4 people from here).

I've been mega-tempted to get it for ages and I probably should just jump in and do it. Hmm. Are you enjoying it? What would you rate it so far?

I've been mega-tempted to get it for ages and I probably should just jump in and do it. Hmm. Are you enjoying it? What would you rate it so far?

I am enjoying it - but I enjoyed previous(think it was the DS version? I recall it had drones too) and I'm not sure it's reflective with a game like this - you either like it or not?

It's set in progressive levels, each being of a specific mode type which gives some variety when it's different, and there's 'boss' levels too. The different mode types do get you thinking about your approach each time.

The other thing is ofc the 3D nature of levels giving variety too; some are still 2D but some are fully 3D like cubes(or peanuts!) which can be a bit disorientating at first but I found my adjustment to be pretty quick.

One thing though - it can be hard at times. There's been a few sticking points, but that's the nature of the game, and progression helps.

For the levels there's the target score, and then two extra targets after - so even without friends there's scores to aim for like a medal system - though again I think this was in previous entries.

I think I maybe spent 2-3 hours on it in a couple different bursts yesterday - I think having more friends on my list(especially active players) with it so there's more scores to try and work towards beating will keep me interested - so I'm slightly selfish in suggesting other people pick it up, to make it more interesting for myself :p

Honestly though - I think for £7 and the fact I've already given it at least 2 hours, I'll definitely get my money's worth. There's still lots of levels to go too looking at the map.

I am enjoying it - but I enjoyed previous(think it was the DS version? I recall it had drones too) and I'm not sure it's reflective with a game like this - you either like it or not?

It's set in progressive levels, each being of a specific mode type which gives some variety when it's different, and there's 'boss' levels too. The different mode types do get you thinking about your approach each time.

The other thing is ofc the 3D nature of levels giving variety too; some are still 2D but some are fully 3D like cubes(or peanuts!) which can be a bit disorientating at first but I found my adjustment to be pretty quick.

One thing though - it can be hard at times. There's been a few sticking points, but that's the nature of the game, and progression helps.

For the levels there's the target score, and then two extra targets after - so even without friends there's scores to aim for like a medal system - though again I think this was in previous entries.

I think I maybe spent 2-3 hours on it in a couple different bursts yesterday - I think having more friends on my list(especially active players) with it so there's more scores to try and work towards beating will keep me interested - so I'm slightly selfish in suggesting other people pick it up, to make it more interesting for myself :p

Honestly though - I think for £7 and the fact I've already given it at least 2 hours, I'll definitely get my money's worth. There's still lots of levels to go too looking at the map.

Alright, you've convinced me.

I'll download it later.

Alright, you've convinced me.

I'll download it later.

Yessssssss! I imagine it'll be the sort of game I tend to have a bit of a crack on day to day - easy to 'have a quick game' whilst it turns into much more than that! The one more go nature definitely keeps me going with it.

I do have one major criticism though - one of the soundtracks for a specific mode has a little sequence in it that I'm certain reminds me of a TV gameshow, and it's pissing me off because I can't figure out what the hell it is. Slightly distracting halfway through a level :p

Yessssssss! I imagine it'll be the sort of game I tend to have a bit of a crack on day to day - easy to 'have a quick game' whilst it turns into much more than that! The one more go nature definitely keeps me going with it.

I do have one major criticism though - one of the soundtracks for a specific mode has a little sequence in it that I'm certain reminds me of a TV gameshow, and it's pissing me off because I can't figure out what the hell it is. Slightly distracting halfway through a level :p

I bet the gameshow is Blockbusters or something like that. Through the keyhole, aha.

Anyway, I've bought the game and it's pretty awesome. Veeeery hard, though. All of my scores are a bit poverty, I doubt I'll be top of any of these leaderboards. I'm not even top in my own house as @Eenuh is better at this than I am.

Yessssss! Moar friends!

I find I'm not particularly good myself Flink - though advancing does help a bit as you can access some new things etc. My mate's cousin saw a fb post I made and bought it - within hours he'd destroyed not only my scores but most of my other friends' scores too(except Drahkon, that is :p)! Definitely did help spur me on a bit to play and beat his score - sure I spent another 2-3 hours just on the first few stages the other day. Annoyingly I keep coming in just one or two hundred k below his tops, and just can't seem to do any better!

Yessssss! Moar friends!

I find I'm not particularly good myself Flink - though advancing does help a bit as you can access some new things etc. My mate's cousin saw a fb post I made and bought it - within hours he'd destroyed not only my scores but most of my other friends' scores too(except Drahkon, that is :p)! Definitely did help spur me on a bit to play and beat his score - sure I spent another 2-3 hours just on the first few stages the other day. Annoyingly I keep coming in just one or two hundred k below his tops, and just can't seem to do any better!

It's an enjoyable but frustrating game. I find myself either narrowly missing out or being too far away. It's satisfying when you reach your target though. I'll be lucky to just get to the end of this game...each level is very busy and it feels like you need to be a Master Jedi to get two stars, let alone three!

It's an enjoyable but frustrating game. I find myself either narrowly missing out or being too far away. It's satisfying when you reach your target though. I'll be lucky to just get to the end of this game...each level is very busy and it feels like you need to be a Master Jedi to get two stars, let alone three!

I felt a bit like that for a while, but after playing more and more and trying more I'm getting a bit better at levels(may even have 3 starred one or two, with a couple 2 stars too) - I think there drones/specials are the balancing here though. As you play more you get more points to spend/upgrade and then can get better etc - it's a small grind until you're there though(I think restarting rather than exiting after also doesn't count towards points, no idea how they work them actually). So far though I've gotten myself a fully upgraded attack drone, and fully upgraded control drone. I have the special/secondaries but I forget about them/don't tend to use them. I often forget about the smart bombs too.

Am I just missing it or there's no co-op pacifist unlocked from the start?

Am I just missing it or there's no co-op pacifist unlocked from the start?

I don't know the answer to that. But, I found this link which may have the answer. Sounds like there's a select few stages that are available for co-op. Guess that means no Pacifist stages?

@drahkon, your scores in this game are insane. How the fuck do you do it?!