NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

Nintendo Financials Q&A

Mario Kart and Smash Bros. is mentioned quite a bit.

I know they said that E3 will show more new titles, but I don't think they can count on those two to be as influential as Pokemon was for the Game Boy.

It's quite an interesting read.

I'm still a believer that one game can change a systems fate but it does really need to be something special, with a mass market appeal. Pokemon worked perfectly for the Gameboy and resonated with both kids and gamers of all ages. They need something like that again. Something fresh and unexpected.

I'm still a believer that one game can change a systems fate but it does really need to be something special, with a mass market appeal. Pokemon worked perfectly for the Gameboy and resonated with both kids and gamers of all ages. They need something like that again. Something fresh and unexpected.

Pokemon really just seems like a once in a lifetime thing to re-create or emulate.

But I still believe there is huge potential for an addictive console Pokemon experience, other than stadium battles.

Zelda - new and remake combo can make a dent.

Call me pessimistic, but I get the feeling fresh and unexpected normally gets a response of poor sales these days. I'm sure most gamers are satisfied playing the same thing over and over.

Were Pokemon to be introduced today, western gamers would not eat it up as much as they did back then. At least that's what I think.

True but remember that the Gameboy was VERY cheap back then, unlike the Wii U which is relatively expensive.

Also, whilst Pokemon the game was huge, it was much bigger than just a game, as you had the TV show and cards etc. Most people I know were huge fans of Pokemon before they even had a gameboy.

I prefer Iwata's logic back in the Gamecube days. The whole 'we need diverse software to meet the needs of all gamers' approach suits me much better :)

I think the days of one game changing it are long gone. Its all about a diverse library and a platform getting regular releases to convince people to lay down £200+ on a console.

One game can help but one game alone isnt enough to sustain any kind of bump.

Boring Q & A

Do note, Iwata's not saying that they're relying on a single game to change fortunes of the system. He's saying that it can take just one game to change it.

Do note, Iwata's not saying that they're relying on a single game to change fortunes of the system. He's saying that it can take just one game to change it.

Yeah, I could have put that clearer... Sorry.

But, I disagree with Iwata. I don't think that one game can change a console's fate that dramatically anymore.

Yeah, I could have put that clearer... Sorry.

But, I disagree with Iwata. I don't think that one game can change a console's fate that dramatically anymore.

Anything is possible.

Great read. Interesting points - they are definitely moving to an account based system with nnid, and their future seems to rely io it. He mentions in 2 years revealing how they're going to show how they're going to reinvent video game systems.... It was all rather flippant and no ones picking up on it, so maybe I'm reading it wrong. And finally the new business development he's created, though I presume this is the team leveraging their ip - film studio and theme park please!

Interesting that he goes out of his way to quell fears about their QOL platform being designed to supplant their VG business.

The new Business Development Division sounds interesting, a bit like what The Pokemon Company does for the game series, but on a macro scale across the company.

That 2 year timeframe they put out for their "redefining of video games" makes me think that this concept is referring to the next generation Nintendo handheld and the start of the combined hardware architecture across all of their devices. 2016 sounds about right for a 3DS successor too (3DS came out in March 2011, so that means a life cycle of around 5-6 years; a bit less than the DS but a lot more than the GBA)

So plenty more years left of life in the little 3 dimensional wonder then :)

Edited by Dcubed

Sign in to follow this