NEurope
Murr

Formula 1 2014

I'm happy with the cars in Qualifying, although the on boards are a bit disappointingly quiet when all the cars are out together it sounds great. It's great to hear things like the tyres as well and the whir of the turbo.

@Goron_3 I'm more disappointed with Ferrari than Kimi at this stage. Alonso did almost double the testing mileage he did whilst nearly every other team tried to work together and share it out equally. I'm not surprised he's more confident. I'm surprised Kimi has been able to get as close as he has tbh. He's said he was coming in on the lap he crashed anyway as he was in such bad traffic, and he was adjusting settings when it happened.

Really happy for Daniel :D (almost a shame he's at Red Bull doing this)! and yep I'm glad he outperformed Seb. Magnussen > Jenson too.

I think it's clear that Ferrari have focused on creating a reliable car first, and the performance will come once we hit Europe and the updates get added. Aero parts are working as expected which is great news and I'm sure Ferrari will bring updates in all areas, not just aero but also electronic and software. These 4 races simply about maximising results and seeing the chequered flag :)

True, but they need both drivers comfortable and scoring. Nico and Lewis for example gave away an afternoon to one another when need be throughout testing, so that both of them were equally up to speed and on top of the car. Kimi's lack of laps is already showing.

Excellent to see three different teams on the podium, and the underdog of each team to boot...very exciting start to the season. I really like how the engines have quietened, hearing the tyre squeal as Raikkonnen locked up, the gear shifts in the onboard views, it's awesome. Glad I woke up early for it, even if it was on a dodgy stream - definitely need to get Sky Sports once I move to my new flat in May!

Great race! There wasn't a lot of overtaking but there never is in Melbourne tbf. Gutted to see Lewis retire but I loved the fact that Vettel was 17s a lap SLOWER than Rosberg on lap 3 haha.

Gutted for Ricciardo though. Red Bull are appealing against the decision which is fair enough but they were warned during the race and chose not to do anything. It's a shame for Australia really because they've waited a long time to see an Aussie on the podium, but hey ho.

Looking forward to Malaysia. Lewis and Seb's problems today show just how much of a factor reliability will be this season.

Not an out-and-out classic but an incredibly interesting and important one. Riccardio has finally arrived and Kevin was on at least on par with Lewis' incredible debut seven years ago. Delighted that Williams are back in the pack. Gutted for Lewis, sometimes it seems like if he didn't have bad luck he wouldn't have any but it does show how up in the air the reliability issue is. Gutted also for Massa & Kamui piling out as well, I really hope both can look forward to a better year. Looks like it might be a few races before the championship picture starts to emerge.

Nice to hear the German National Anthem that did not feature Vettel at the podium. As much as i don't like seeing cars retiring, if it features Vettel then i don't mind. Ok, it wasn't an all-out classic race. But this race can only improve things later in the season, i reckon by Silverstone we'll have all the cars fine-tuned and give out 110% performance and have a good race. Unlucky for Hamilton, who knows what the race would have bought if his car was at 100%.

Still, nice win for Rosberg. And congrats to Ricciardo on his debut for Red Bull and Magnusson for McLaren, both have got a bright future in the sport. Watched it via Sky Sports (recorded it). But when i can watch the Live races, the coverage sounds more impressive this year than last. Near enough a camera on each car, replays whenever you want.

Edit: Just read Ricciardo's been DQ'd. Magnusson and Button shift up a place each, so not too shabby. 2 McLaren drivers on the podium.

Edited by Jimbob

If it stands I think that makes KM's F1 debut the most successful on record, unless I'm very much mistaken?

If it stands I think that makes KM's F1 debut the most successful on record, unless I'm very much mistaken?

I believe that Hamilton matched that result in his debut :) He then went on to score 9 consecutive podiums.

I believe that Hamilton matched that result in his debut :) He then went on to score 9 consecutive podiums.

What I mean is if the appeal fails he gets 2nd and trumps Lewis' 3rd place at his first F1 race.

What I mean is if the appeal fails he gets 2nd and trumps Lewis' 3rd place at his first F1 race.

Oh yes! You're right! He was brilliant all weekend :)

I'm 100% convinced Alonso will be at Mclaren next season. Ferrari are nowhere and Honda's engine isn't frozen yet (and won't be for another 12 months) so they'll have the ability to keep developing it.

As for Ron and Alonso...they both want to win. Regardless of the past, Dennis knows he needs the best driver(s) in the team and I can see Button and Alonso swapping at the end of the year.

I'm 100% convinced Alonso will be at Mclaren next season. Ferrari are nowhere and Honda's engine isn't frozen yet (and won't be for another 12 months) so they'll have the ability to keep developing it.

As for Ron and Alonso...they both want to win. Regardless of the past, Dennis knows he needs the best driver(s) in the team and I can see Button and Alonso swapping at the end of the year.

That's a bold statement but I definitely agree Alonso is looking less and less happy there. Some were saying there'll be conflict between him & Kimi but I continue to assume any conflict will be between management and drivers.

That's a bold statement but I definitely agree Alonso is looking less and less happy there. Some were saying there'll be conflict between him & Kimi but I continue to assume any conflict will be between management and drivers.

I don't think there's any rivalry between Alonso and Kimi tbh. Alonso probably knows he's better over the course and Kimi is too laid back to care. I think Merc are just too strong though and Alonso would fancy a new challenge.

@gaggle64 Yeah that's the way I see it too at Ferrari now, Fernando and Kimi are an absolute wall... one hell of force together now that I don't think Ferrari's managerial bullshit will be able to penetrate any longer. Gone now are Ferrari's driver scapegoats, neither driver will put up with it, I think they're rock solid together knowing exactly how hard one another works and what the other is capable of.

I prey for the day that LdM steps down, but that's as much of a fantasy as Ferrari accepting where the real blame lies and that's with the management and designers.

That was a very enjoyable race. Really impressed with Magnessun. And it worked out well for McLaren getting a double podium. Shame it was at the expense of Ricciardo though.

And Bottas... Damn, if he hadn't clipped that wall, who knows, probable podium finish.

Don't know if anyone would be interested, but myself and my fellow co-blogger did a write up of the Australian GP here: http://geeksleeprinserepeat.wordpress.com/2014/03/17/f1-2014-round-1-australia/

I don't mind the new sound, but still!...

and not a set of ear defenders in sight! Plus it just instantly makes it appear slower and like a leisurely day out at a race event.

Edited by Retro_Link

Savour it while you can, if battery development carries on at the current pace everything from F1 down will be all-electric in 20 years. :heh:

Incidentally I looked up the specs for the most recent Le Mans winner for comparison's sale - It was an Audi with a 3.2ltr V6 hybrid diesel with a 58ltr tank.

Awesome qualifying session today! I have to admit that I'm loving the new engines and it's great to see the cars going sideways so often!

I do hope it stays dry tomorrow though so Red Bull fall back a bit and Ferrari and Williams move forward :) Hoping for a Hamilton-Alonso-Bottas podium but I'm pretty sure that's just wishful thinking ;)

What, Bottas from 18th or whatever it is? :p

It had better be dry! only way we can send RedBull backwards ;)

I believe Kimi will have a great race tomorrow! Podium please!!

Anyone see the race earlier?

Nice result for Hamilton, finally showing what performance his car can deliver when operational. Kimi should have been up near the podium spots, if it wasn't for that puncture from that earlier collision.

Anyone see the race earlier?

Nice result for Hamilton, finally showing what performance his car can deliver when operational. Kimi should have been up near the podium spots, if it wasn't for that puncture from that earlier collision.

Yeah it was a decent race! Not incredibly entertaining but there was always going to be a field spread this early on in the season and Mercedes have clearly nocked it out of the park as far as the PU is concerned. Also, I loved that new graphics that show you how much fuel the drivers have used! Lewis was cruising at the front whilst saving loads of fuel and then you have guys like Bottas and Massa who were using next to nothing!

Disappointed for Kimi and Ricciardo (again!) but Nico Hulkenburg did a fantastic job as always. It came out of nowhere tbh...pretty impressed, but then again he never disappoints.

I enjoy looking at the fuel graphics. As you said, seeing Lewis out in front using a heck of a lot less fuel than the likes of Vettel, Rosberg + Hulkenburg. And yet, Lewis was still earning seconds on the lead every few laps. Just goes to show how much power that Merc has.

Felt sorry for Kimi, if it wasn't for that puncture which practically ruined his race who knows how far up the board he could have reached. And Ricciardo, i blame the pit crew for that.

I enjoy looking at the fuel graphics. As you said, seeing Lewis out in front using a heck of a lot less fuel than the likes of Vettel, Rosberg + Hulkenburg. And yet, Lewis was still earning seconds on the lead every few laps. Just goes to show how much power that Merc has.

Felt sorry for Kimi, if it wasn't for that puncture which practically ruined his race who knows how far up the board he could have reached. And Ricciardo, i blame the pit crew for that.

Yeah when they were showing the fuel usage statistics both Williams were alot more conservative with the amount used.

Is that just the car is more fuel effective than the rest of the grid or Massa and Bottas just fuel efficient driving mode on constantly. They were normally always 3 or 4% less fuel used than the rest of the grid.

Good race though, and it doesn't look like it'll be a complete Mercedes domination. If Ricciardo had a bit of luck Redbull would be contending more.

Still holding out hope that McLaren and Williams keeping finishing in the points.

Hulk... damn, he's just consistently good despite what car he's given to work with. Surely he'll end up at a "biggy" next season?

Yeah when they were showing the fuel usage statistics both Williams were alot more conservative with the amount used.

Is that just the car is more fuel effective than the rest of the grid or Massa and Bottas just fuel efficient driving mode on constantly. They were normally always 3 or 4% less fuel used than the rest of the grid.

Good race though, and it doesn't look like it'll be a complete Mercedes domination. If Ricciardo had a bit of luck Redbull would be contending more.

Still holding out hope that McLaren and Williams keeping finishing in the points.

Hulk... damn, he's just consistently good despite what car he's given to work with. Surely he'll end up at a "biggy" next season?

I can see Hulk going to Mclaren if they aren't happy with Jenson. As much as I like Jenson, he's getting to the end of his career and if I was Ron Dennis, I'd jump at Hulk straight away.