NEurope
Murr

Formula 1 2014

Lewis Hamilton has claimed that Rosberg admitted purposely crashing into him, I hear from my Dad that Mercedes confirmed this claim on the radio:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/28921431

If so that is just shockingly poor sportsmanship from the German and the FIA need to take some retrospective action here.

Edited by Emerald Emblem

It's weird for him to admit it even if it is true. He must have just been trying to prove a point to Lewis over the team orders thing; a sort of "I can ruin your race too". Whilst I normally prefer Nico to Lewis, I'd expect the FIA to DQ him from the race and take his 18 points away. Since Lewis retired as well, and we can basically not include any of the other drivers in the reckoning, it would effectively nullify the race result in terms of the World Championship.

Actually, I wonder what the odds would be on Ricciardo sneaking up behind them and snatching it with the double pointer at the end. If Lewis and Nico keep tripping each other up it would definitely be possible...

I can't believe that's what Nico meant... are we sure he didn't say it sarcastically?

There's no way Nico could know he would give Lewis a puncture, and that he wouldn't loose more than just his front endplate. It just doesn't make sense to do it.

Anyways, that race was amazing! :D

Ok so Bottas came along with his stupid Mercedes engine and spoilt Kimi's podium :p but I like Bottas too.

Amazing from Ricciardo, happy for Nico to be on the podium, and Kimi got a decent result :)

Fucking Rosberg.

Lewis Hamilton has claimed that Rosberg admitted purposely crashing into him, I hear from my Dad that Mercedes confirmed this claim on the radio:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/28921431

If so that is just shockingly poor sportsmanship from the German and the FIA need to take some retrospective action here.

We need to be realistic here..it was not deliverate and just because Lewis said it, it doesn't mean it's true. Toto also clarified the comment. There is a big difference between deliberately crashing into someone and putting the car in a position that could lead into the accident.

Since Bahrain 2012, the onus has always been on the driver in front to not turn into the guy behind him. Vettel was penalised at Monza 2012 for not leaving space for Alonso and the stewards have said that Massa would have got a penalty had he not retired for his incident at Germany 2014.

Rosberg clearly backed out of the move but Lewis just didn't realise Nico was there. He should have left another meter or so of space because he easily had the lead through the corner.

My biggest worry about Lewis is that under pressure, he cracks..a lot. It's been the same since 2007 and I just don't believe he has the bottle to win the championship. Can you imagine a driver like Alonso having that incident with Rosberg? He's too inconsistent and gets tangled up with others far too often.

Lewis left enough space, if anything Rosberg should of moved to the left.

Lewis left enough space, if anything Rosberg should of moved to the left.

I don't think Rosberg was even trying to pass at that point as he lifts off. I don't think Lewis knew he was that close though.

That said, we are in for a CRACKING few races now! I am DESPERATE for a proper 1 on 1 battle between them, like Bahrain.

Anybody else watch yesterdays GP?

May as well start with the whole Rosberg-Hamilton saga, get it out of the way. After Hamilton had a bad start due to an eletrical issue (apparantly), he goes onto win the GP after overtaking Rosberg after he (for the 2nd time in the race) missed the corner and went straight on. This allowed Hamilton, who was only 1.4 seconds behind to overtake on the corner. He ended up getting something like a 4 second lead, which was impressive.

There is some conspiricy theories out there saying Rosberg was deliberate in doing what he did to allow Hamilton to pass, but looking at the race in general Hamilton would have passed Rosberg as he was catching him after (once again i might add), defying team orders. Rosberg was on a fuel saving program, Hamilton was not.

Still, now the gap is only 22 points going into Singapore.

Now, going into the middle of the pack where the action is. That was something great i thought. Back and forth between Button and Perez during the entire race. I certainly enjoyed seeing that, that is motorsport for me right there. Seeing Ricciardo's driving style, seemingly suited to Monza. But climbing up to 5th (i think), that was good, wish it was a little higher. I'm kind of enjoying his racing this season. And i felt sorry for Alonzo, first mechanical failure in about 4 years. That's not bad going, but still sucks to see.

Max Chilton took on the role of Maldonado early on, very funny to see.

Overall, not a bad race. Bring on Singapore.

Pretty good race I thought. I think win or lose Lewis is at the height of his powers right now, he's still got his racer instincts but also got the technical understanding & mental fortitude that he didn't have at the start of his career. So glad to see Massa on the podium too.

The race was also notable for highlighting how tragic the Ferrari is this year. They're probably going to have spend the duration of next season just making sure they've got the boat turned around. Performing this badly on any circuit let alone their home race is unforgivable. Alonso is the only man saving their blushes these days.

tumblr_inline_nbj99p9dTH1qmtina.gif

Awesome race yesterday!

In fact, it was another fantastic in a season full of proper racing and overtaking. I just hope we have these durable tyres for a while because we've seen some amazing battles!

Also, Ricciardo was absolutely incredible yesterday! Those 2 dummies he sold whilst overtaking Mag and Vettel...god damn, SO GOOD. The guy is an absolute beast and he will surely win championships. I haven't been this impressed with a driver since Lewis in 07...He simply has it all! :D

Gutted for Rosberg as it looks like the pressure is getting to him. What happened at Monza has put him on the backfoot despite it increasing his lead...The momentum is with Hamilton now and I can see him winning in Singapore.

I just love Monza, and Ricciardo made it a special one for sure! There was some fantastic racing and overtakes in the midfield.

Singapore will be interesting because as far as I'm aware both Mercedes drivers are pretty mighty there. Rosberg had some incredible drives for Williams there and got his first podium there, in not very good cars.

Don't suppose anyone took the plunge and watched Formula E did they?

I didn't catch it live, but watched the highlight show. The idea of it sounds good, but I found it odd that they stop mid race and switch cars to one that is fully charged.

Unfortunately I didn't finish the whole highlight show as the excitement just wasn't there.

There wasn't a whole lot of overtaking and the cars all seemed to trail each other pretty closely for the amount of time I was watching the show.

I missed the crash that apparently was one of the highlights of the race.

There's a lot of backing with Virgin and Leonardo DiCaprio. But it'll take a while I think before it really makes an impact.

I did. It was a-ok. Stupid move by Prost on Heidfeld but it's definitely an interesting series off to a good start. It's early days but the fact it has it' owns clear vision & identity will probably help it thrive in ways other series' have failed to do so.

It's funny you guys have mentioned Formula E because me and Retro actually have our own Formula E website and twitter account :)

http://formulaediary.com/

And you can find us on twitter at @formulaediary :)

Overall I thought the race was pretty great although a few things need tweaking. The minimum pit stop time was far too long and it really took away some of the drama. I'm not sold on the soundtrack either.

Good start but tweaks needed.

So, the Singapore GP.

The biggest story from this was Nico Rosberg having to start from the pits due to dodgy electrics. And then having to retired due to the very reason. I felt sorry for him, having some bad luck earlier. But it's opened the World Championship up now for everyone, Lewis now having a 3 point lead after his victory earlier.

And Maldonado finished a race, didn't cause any accidents and kept all 4 wheels on the floor.

Not a bad race overall.

Yeah the title race has been blown wide open!

I can't help but feel that there's another bit of drama left with regards to reliability. No one really has any healthy PU's left and the high altitude Brazilian GP will surely causes some issues. You've then got Sochi will looks pretty intense of engines and Abu Double.

It's not going to be pretty.

Seems bit strange to me that McLaren seem to be Alonso's target rather than a potential swap with Vettel. Red Bull have just promoted from their young driver programme with Daniel, so it's not like they should feel compelled to go down that route again should Vettel leave, so why McLaren?

It's extremely unlikely the McLaren-Honda partnership will be potential winners next year, given it will be Honda's first engine, and every other team will be able to build on their 2014 cars and engines. Like Ferrari, McLaren have been struggling for a number of years now, and honestly I'd be surprised if Ferrari weren't the better option over the next two years.

But I guess he wants a change, McLaren will show him their strategy for success and Honda will bring the big bucks, but Red Bull, Williams and even Ferrari themselves currently seem like better options.

Maybe like Alonso's desire to win with Ferrari, he feels a win under the McLaren name (the team he always wanted to drive for) is just more attractive to him personally. But given his desire to win a 3rd title, surely performance is the way to go.

It's quite possible that McLaren could be competitive again next year. The engine seems to be the main thing holding them back, and I wouldn't say that Williams are a better prospect at the moment because they are a fairly average team with a fairly average car and a fantastic engine package. The potential for Honda to shoot McLaren to the front I'd say makes them more likely to be potential world champions than Williams or even Ferrari, I would have said.

I think Red Bull are fairly set on promoting through their program so if they were to lose Vettel there wouldn't necessarily be a seat there. Personally I'd rather see Ferrari take Bianchi than Vettel, though. If Vettel was to go to Ferrari it would be purely for romantic reasons / to get away from the embarrasment of being beaten by Ricciardo.

I think Alonso & Vettel might be thinking along similar lines, albeit in different directions - Vettel's achieved everything he wants with Red Bull and is ready to start somewhere new while Alonso might feel he has unfinished business with Mclaren, even if it ended in bad blood before. Also, money.

So Suzuka eh. Great race until that awful incident. I really hope he pulls through..it feels like Schumacher all over again :(

It took forever for the BBC team to find out what was going on. Even just watching the shots of scene of the accident you could see a wreck behind the tractor.

Hopes he makes a full recovery.

It took forever for the BBC team to find out what was going on. Even just watching the shots of scene of the accident you could see a wreck behind the tractor.

Hopes he makes a full recovery.

I had no idea what was going on and neither did Sky..I don't think many picked it up and tbh the images of the car are pretty terrifying. It really is a horrendous accident.

What an awful year it's been for Formula 1 in terms of accidents and incidents. Dread to think what state Schumacher is in.

Also an update from Sky on Bianchi:

Sky Sports confirm Bianchi is not breathing unaided, unfortunately, and remains in a critical condition following surgery #F1

Poor kid. He was going to drive that Ferrari one day.

What was a good result for Mercedes is shadowed by the incident that happened to Bianchi.

Hopefully he comes back to his best. But all I can think is Schumacher. Completely different circumstances of course, but the fact he was unresponsive to team radio when they asked if he was okay, and the medical team found him KO'd in the car. It's very worrying.

Now looking back on it though. Should the race have been stopped sooner? Should a safety car been deployed straight away. Is this just an unfortunate freak accident or did the weather really play into this?

Personally for me the safety car should have been launched as soon as Sutil hit the barrier, As for the decision to keep the race on after the inital stop. I agree the race should have taken place. The drivers are the best there is.

I see the incident as a very unfortunate freak accident. It could have been prevented by earlier safety car deployment, but the race itself taking place was the right decision.

Just hope that Bianchi makes a recovery.