Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Wii U General Discussion

Hero-of-Time

No, I'm thinking about everyone here who loves playing games. Who love playing Nintendo games. QoL? Who on Earth would want that instead of acquiring and setting up new studios around the world.

Imagine if QoL really does prove successful. Why brother making games at all.

No, I'm thinking about everyone here who loves playing games. Who love playing Nintendo games. QoL? Who on Earth would want that instead of acquiring and setting up new studios around the world.

Imagine if QoL really does prove successful. Why brother making games at all.

For the love of...

THEY ARE DOING BOTH.

The QoL stuff is not to take over the games. It's to support the company. Stop acting like it's taking away from things, because it's not.

Edited by Serebii

The QoL stuff is not to take over the games. It's to support the company. Stop acting like it's taking away from things, because it's not.

I think what Daft wants to say is: The money spent on QoL should be used on the gaming stuff, meaning it kinda does 'take away' resources - or rather distributes resources 'wrongly'.

Edit: Aaaaaaaaand @Daft was quicker :p

But it is taking away from things. This is energy and investment that could be spent in much better places.

Seriously, who wants this QoL crap?

The gaming industry, at the moment, is incredibly loss leading. Nintendo need these extra avenues so that it doesn't all collapse around them.

Look at FY3/2012. 3DS had a price cut. I believe it was at around $70 loss per unit. 3DS took off and sold around 13m at that price in the year. That resulted in horrific losses (that's $840,000,000 lost on the 3DS console alone, and a net loss of around $420m for the company that FY) despite success, and software sales only go so far. Cost of development of software has also drastically gone up

This is why microtransactions, paywalls etc. have become a big thing, to try and offset these massive costs that are damaging the industry, yet are necessary for the industry in its current state.

If Nintendo were to follow the other consoles with costs etc. and keep their policies, then it would destroy them. These other avenues open up potential profit away from the toxic game industry to help the company thrive, and with the games still as their focus, help support it. If they were to just throw even more money at gaming, it wouldn't necessarily work out well for the company.

Nintendo as a company has always done multiple things. Your reaction is exactly what Iwata was talking about, that despite having various avenues of income, people just see it as a pure video game company, which it isn't.

Edited by Serebii

Look at FY3/2011. 3DS had a price cut. I believe it was at around $70 loss per unit. 3DS took off and sold around 13m at that price in the year. That resulted in horrific losses (that's $840,000,000 lost on the 3DS console alone, and a net loss of around $420m for the company that FY) despite success, and software sales only go so far. Cost of development of software has also drastically gone up

Not really sure what the proves other than Iwata misread the market and ended up producing a handheld which was too expensive to make resulting in a too high retail price which meant a huge price cut was needed to kickstart sales.

Those losses are on him.

There are so many wrong assertions in that post.

The biggest loss-leading console out at the moment is the Wii U. Don't the XBone and PS4 break into profit with a year's online subscription?

Microstransactions? How many games genuinely go the full microtransaction route that aren't F2P (which is obviously a different business model)? I don't remember seeing them in Infamous. Or Titanfall. Sure EA might be big on them but it isn't a rule you can paint the whole industry with. As for Paywalls...well, Online Passes were phased out unanimously. XBL has the only real paywall and people definitely aren't happy about that.

What do you mean the industry's current state? What is wrong with the industry? Because as far as I can see we're are absolutely spoilt for choice.

Seriously, if you can answer that question I might begin to understand where you're coming from.

The gaming industry, at the moment, is incredibly loss leading. Nintendo need these extra avenues so that it doesn't all collapse around them.

Look at FY3/2012. 3DS had a price cut. I believe it was at around $70 loss per unit. 3DS took off and sold around 13m at that price in the year. That resulted in horrific losses (that's $840,000,000 lost on the 3DS console alone, and a net loss of around $420m for the company that FY) despite success, and software sales only go so far. Cost of development of software has also drastically gone up

This is why microtransactions, paywalls etc. have become a big thing, to try and offset these massive costs that are damaging the industry, yet are necessary for the industry in its current state.

If Nintendo were to follow the other consoles with costs etc. and keep their policies, then it would destroy them. These other avenues open up potential profit away from the toxic game industry to help the company thrive, and with the games still as their focus, help support it. If they were to just throw even more money at gaming, it wouldn't necessarily work out well for the company.

Nintendo as a company has always done multiple things. Your reaction is exactly what Iwata was talking about, that despite having various avenues of income, people just see it as a pure video game company, which it isn't.

The console losing the most and using the 'make a loss on hardware' strategy IS Nintendo. And the 3DS only lost that much money because Nintendo completely misread the market and charged $250 for a handheld console. That's Nintendo's fault, not the market.

But it is taking away from things. This is energy and investment that could be spent in much better places.

Seriously, who wants this QoL crap?

I think thats a little short-sighted.

People said exactly that about the Wii and the Wiimote and the 'last gen graphics'. It turned out to be the most successful Nintendo home console in history.

Think of it what you may, but Nintendo innovations do (or can) rake in the £££, and whilst they do that, they still cater for their core (in most respects).

Going by the figures Serebii posted I would say the Wii was a sales fluke, and the norm was always about N64/GC level - meaning they weren't 'failures'.

Iwata:

If Wii Doesn't Outsell GameCube, We've Failed

The GC didnt have to sell 100 mil to be a success but 20 mil units wasnt the norm or what nintendo were expecting.

If 20 mil is not failure then nintendo might as well stop producing home consoles as 20 mil units worldwide will never be enough to justify the cost of producing said consoles.

Edited by liger05

Iwata:

If Wii Doesn't Outsell GameCube, We've Failed

Well, yeah. The marketing was there for the Wii - it wasn't a purple box with a handle - and the loins of the console rested on gimmicks that got everyone raising eyebrows.

I'd say the Wii was far cheaper to produce than the Gamecube back in its time - Iwata had to say that.

I think thats a little short-sighted.

People said exactly that about the Wii and the Wiimote and the 'last gen graphics'. It turned out to be the most successful Nintendo home console in history.

Think of it what you may, but Nintendo innovations do (or can) rake in the £££, and whilst they do that, they still cater for their core (in most respects).

But the Wii wasn't aimed at the core. And the apathetic response to the Wii U is the result. They didn't invest the money invested from one flippant demographic (which didn't care one way or another about the Wii's follow up console) back into their core dependable market. So why would we expect the same now?

I'm sorry... I didn't know know we knew what qol was? And why do Nintendo get critisised and other companies don't? What about sonys wonder book? Or vita tv? Or other failures which TAKE AWAY from their main gaming...? Companies try new things, why do people have to bitch about EVERYTHING! And we don't even know anything about it!

I'm sorry... I didn't know know we knew what qol was? And why do Nintendo get critisised and other companies don't?

Because this is the Wii U General Discussion Thread in the Nintendo Gaming Board.

Other companies get criticised, too, however - as I mentioned - this isn't a thread about the other companies (and don't try to argue, that 'certain' people always bring MS, Sony, Sega, Nike, Durex, etc. into the equation, because you did the same thing just now ;) ).

Also: there are a lot of people here who want Nintendo not to do QoL stuff (no matter what that QoL will turn out to be - nobody knows, we all speculate and from that may come worries and/or hopes) and put all the focus on gaming, because that is what Nintendo is best at.

I'm sorry... I didn't know know we knew what qol was? And why do Nintendo get critisised and other companies don't? What about sonys wonder book? Or vita tv? Or other failures which TAKE AWAY from their main gaming...? Companies try new things, why do people have to bitch about EVERYTHING! And we don't even know anything about it!

Enough with the fanboy comments.

Sony and MS get plenty criticism when deserved. Were you not around when the PS3 launched? How about last year and the backlash MS got when they announced the first details of XB1?

If you want a place where everyone praises Iwata and Nintendo no matter what I suggest use another forum.

If you want a place where everyone praises Iwata and Nintendo no matter what I suggest use another forum.

Nah mate - you don't suggest people with a more balanced approach to debate to find another forum.

I can understand Dazzys plight - from a select few its just a constant cloud of dreary pessimism, criticism (a lot of the times unwarranted) and blah. From you specifically Liger, its the same old militant business/sales approach of why Nintendo isn't doing this or the other... I can't really tell if you like anything Nintendo has offered in this moment in time by your posting habits - though you maintain you own a Wii U and I assume a fan..?

Its not about being a fanboy, but if you're a fan you obviously enjoy something about Nintendo so why not be a bit more balanced with your views?

Nintendo is a failure, games are shit, Wii U is something the consumer never wanted... Ok, but then why are you here though?

I hate to be brash but the above comment kind of grated me.

I assume you've tried this, but these were on Nintendo's support site:

Also if you manually enter an IP address, use Google's DNS (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4). I suggest trying this.

Otherwise I'd suggest trying a different wireless router if you can, I'm guessing they provided one for you. Or use the LAN adapter like I suggested before.

You might need to talk to UPC Horizon if none of those work though, sounds like your Wii U is losing connection halfway through loading the page.

Thanks for the advice. Tried fiddling around some more and got nowhere so got in contact with UPC. Took well over an hour of changing settings but eventually I've got somewhere. Not sure if it's optimum, probably not but it's a damn sight better than it was before. The real test will come with Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate later.

Edited by Wii

Nintendo is a failure, games are shit, Wii U is something the consumer never wanted... Ok, but then why are you here though?

I find it so odd that if you're here with positive opinions you're 'allowed' to be here, but if your comments are negative (even if mostly negative) then you apparently don't deserve to stay. If you find someone 'boring' because their opinions are always negative, then just put them on your ignore list.

It doesn't matter if your opinions are 100% negative of Nintendo. So long as people make valid, non spammy points and justify their point then I welcome them.

I find it so odd that if you're here with positive opinions you're apparently allowed to be here, but if your comments are negative (even if mostly negative) then you apparently don't deserve to stay. If you find someone 'boring' because their opinions are always negative, then just put them on your ignore list.

It doesn't matter if your opinions are 100% negative of Nintendo. So long as people make valid, non spammy points and justify their point then I welcome them.

I don't think it's just negative comments he's going on about. It's the constant negative every single post continually and repeatedly.

I don't think it's just negative comments he's going on about. It's the constant negative every single post continually and repeatedly.

If people aren't able to cope with negativity towards an independent company then they should put those users on their ignore list. And maybe even seek help.

I find it so odd that if you're here with positive opinions you're 'allowed' to be here, but if your comments are negative (even if mostly negative) then you apparently don't deserve to stay. If you find someone 'boring' because their opinions are always negative, then just put them on your ignore list.

Define spammy. I define it by saying the same thing over and over and over again - Just like Serebii's (no offence :P) "No Pokemon RPG on Wii U" comments - gets repetitive and finally annoying.

Sometimes, it would be cool if the Wii U community here can actually brighten up a little bit - we're all fans, and rely on each other for discussion.

Im not against 'negativity' - it was primarily the comment I quoted that riled me because someone had a more optimistic approach.

Edited by King_V

If people aren't able to cope with negativity towards an independent company then they should put those users on their ignore list. And maybe even seek help.

People can cope, but that doesn't preclude it from being ridiculously frustrating.