NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Wii U General Discussion

Looks like the couple of days effort trying to get myself a cheap Wii U has had this effect on me.

10345848_10154120775600720_2645602135576096836_n.jpg

One of us. One of us. :p

Well done mate! Stonking value you got in the end! (Especially since you also get another free game thanks to the MK8 promo!)

Welcome to the Wii U club : peace: You've got some severe catching up to do :)

Well I've had it for a few days now and so far, I'm enjoying my time with it.

Lego City seemed a bit lacking at first but that's a problem I find when starting any open world game. I had the same issue with GTA IV but really enjoyed that game by the end. And Lego is having a very similar effect. Nothing remotely ground breaking but as my first full Lego experience, only played demos of other games, I'm enjoying it far more than I suspect I would Zelda.

I started playing DKC today as well and after initialling having a feeling of more of the same as soon as I could move DK, the level throws you into some water and this happened...

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

and I suddenly remember that Returns was awesome and more of the same is a fantastic offering in anyone's book. I've finished world 1 (including the K stage) and called it quits but I can't wait to get back. I was definitely in the camp of it being a waste of Retro's time and talent upon reveal but I was most definitely wrong.

Rayman did arrive yesterday but I've not opened it yet. I still haven't actually finished Origins, as I was playing the entire game co-op with my brother and his life keeps getting in the way of game time. So I was unsure whether to just crack on given the game takes more than a few levels out of Origins anyway.

There may not be many games I want, but for the price it cost me, it's starting to feel like an absolute bargain.

with very little effort you will be able to pick up some great games for as little as £5.

One of us. One of us. :p

No fucking joke, when I saw you had quoted me I knew it would be "One of us" or something similar haha

But yeah, off to grab the pro controller I saw yesterday soon! I figured that the Wii basic was technically going to cost me about the same price as this premium bundle (as I was going to get Mario Kart and an external to use), so it would have been silly not to get it at this price.

EDIT: Aaaaaand got one!

10341695_10154123099530720_7467539232474826841_n.jpg

Edited by Debug Mode

all the hype surrounding Mario Kart, got me thinking about 90's Arcade Racer. Has this been cancelled? Last I heard it was due for "mid 2014" release, but that was months ago and have not heard anything else since then.

Would there be much difference at all in the build quality of a Japanese pro controller to that of an European one?

Because it seems that they are available for quite a bit cheaper (less than £20) in places so I'm sorely tempted to get one (my brother will need one for his Wii U) to potentially save some time/hassle in the long run.

-----------------------------------------------------

Decided to take the plunge as I found a seller on eBay apparently selling Pro controllers within the UK for £13.49... I went for three of them so I've either got a bargain or three second-rate, third-party controllers for £40. ::shrug:

For anyone else interested/tempted...

Wii U Pro Controller

I'll let you know what arrives in the post either way but I thought it was worth a shot... :indeed: you can buy them in white or black - separate auctions - and there are more than 10 available at the moment. : peace:

I'm just fed up of not being able to buy any extra pro controllers at a reasonable price, it's a ridiculous situation really. :blank:

Even if they do turn out to be genuine, just watch as Nintendo brings out some new type of controller at E3 or some special edition version that will make me wish I hadn't bought these. :heh:

Even if they do turn out to be genuine, just watch as Nintendo brings out some new type of controller at E3 or some special edition version that will make me wish I hadn't bought these. :heh:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/05/pdp_confirms_the_gamecube_inspired_wired_fight_pad_for_wii_and_wii_u

3rd party but Nintendo licensed. Being inspired by the Cube pad makes me very happy.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/05/pdp_confirms_the_gamecube_inspired_wired_fight_pad_for_wii_and_wii_u

3rd party but Nintendo licensed. Being inspired by the Cube pad makes me very happy.

wait! you have to plug it into the wiimote first.

Er that = No buy!

Why the fcuk would I wanna do that.

oh and another 3rd party multi-platform game skipping Wii U

Edited by khilafah

So you have to plug into the wiimote which can mean some sort of lag or just plain annoyance. Or if you dont have a wiimote you have to go and buy one so infact your purchasing two controllers.

Seems pretty stupid to me.

Edited by liger05

If they're making a wired pad why they don't just stick it in the USB is beyond me!

If they're making a wired pad why they don't just stick it in the USB is beyond me!

Because the Wii U doesn't support USB controllers.

Decided to take the plunge as I found a seller on eBay apparently selling Pro controllers within the UK for £13.49... I went for three of them so I've either got a bargain or three second-rate, third-party controllers for £40. ::shrug:

For anyone else interested/tempted...

Wii U Pro Controller

That listing says that it is a Wii (not Wii U) controller that is not compatible with the Wii or Wii games.

That listing says that it is a Wii (not Wii U) controller that is not compatible with the Wii or Wii games.

Yes the listing is very contradictory as the title of the auction says...

'New U Wireless Gamepad Joypad Hand Controller for Nintendo Wii Black UK'

And it uses pictures of the official Pro controller, I just hoped that because it states that the products are coming from the UK that there might be a chance of them being genuine but they could just as easily be fake or third-party I suppose. ::shrug:

Because the Wii U doesn't support USB controllers...

What, really?! How retarded is that?!!!

So the Pro Controller plugging in is simply just for charging it and nothing else at all, it still transmits it's signals to the console wirelessly even if plugged into the USB?!

Nintendo not adding support like this, their inability and ineptitude with online and user accounts, as well as their inability to create a machine attractive/beneficial/or even helpful to 3rd Parties makes me wish they went 2nd/3rd Party all the more. They can't make decent hardware, software wise they're still great but hardware... tripe!

Nintendo not adding support like this, their inability and ineptitude with online and user accounts, as well as their inability to create a machine attractive/beneficial/or even helpful to 3rd Parties makes me wish they went 2nd/3rd Party all the more. They can't make decent hardware, software wise they're still great but hardware... tripe!

'It's the Nintendo difference!' :heh:

But seriously, the situation is bad in some areas this is true enough but hopefully at least some of the issues can be sorted soon after E3, perhaps another large patch to sort out some of the smaller issues the console has at least plus hopefully a real drive in producing more hardware/bundles/controllers well before Smash Bros comes out. :indeed:

I find it frustrating that it's so difficult to buy extra official controllers as a reasonable price, though this is an issue with the other consoles too but still, I can remember the days when no controller would cost more than £25 - £30 maximum. :(

As for the rest of the stuff, we'll just see what happens. ::shrug:

So the Pro Controller plugging in is simply just for charging it and nothing else at all, it still transmits it's signals to the console wirelessly even if plugged into the USB?!

Why does it matter if it sends signals via USB or Bluetooth if plugged in?

Sorry but I don't see the issue here. It's a big non-issue that people are making into an issue in order to trash Nintendo

Its basic stuff like this which makes me question what people at Nintendo HQ do. To release a console in 2012 which doesn’t support USB controllers is shocking. The bubble they operate in really needs bursting.

Sorry but I don't see the issue here. It's a big non-issue that people are making into an issue in order to trash Nintendo

So you feel buying a controller for the Wii U that has to be plugged into a wiimote to work is not an issue?

You honestly don’t believe it would be a lot easier if we could just buy the said controller without having to worry about whether we have a controller which was released on a console in 2006?

Edited by liger05

Its basic stuff like this which makes me question what people at Nintendo HQ do. To release a console in 2012 which doesn’t support USB controllers is shocking. The bubble they operate in really needs bursting.

So you feel buying a controller for the Wii U that has to be plugged into a wiimote to work is not an issue?

You honestly don’t believe it would be a lot easier if we could just buy the said controller without having to worry about whether we have a controller which was released on a console in 2006?

That wasn't the complaint I was responding to. I was responding to the statement that Nintendo are backwards because the Pro Controller still uses wireless when plugged in. Complaining about that is the epitome of making a big deal out of nothing.

That wasn't the complaint I was responding to. I was responding to the statement that Nintendo are backwards because the Pro Controller still uses wireless when plugged in. Complaining about that is the epitome of making a big deal out of nothing.

Not really as the complaint is down to the Wii U not supporting USB controllers which leads to bogus controllers like the one recently announced.

It will have an effect at tournaments, unfortunately, due to interference between hundreds of wireless controllers. For fighting games you need a wired controller.

Third party wireless controllers exist.

Actually, although I'm not one of these people, wireless controllers are more fault and latency prone than wired controllers. This is why having the signal sent via USB rather than wireless when plugged in would have been preferred.

This could also harm the chance of the new Smash Bro's game being used in tournaments such as Evo, because wireless controllers are banned due to the very likely case of interference and those who played with PlayStation pads rather than arcade sticks had to ensure they brought their charger cable and that it odds plugged in during every round they play.

Actually, although I'm not one of these people, wireless controllers are more fault and latency prone than wired controllers. This is why having the signal sent via USB rather than wireless when plugged in would have been preferred.

This could also harm the chance of the new Smash Bro's game being used in tournaments such as Evo, because wireless controllers are banned due to the very likely case of interference and those who played with PlayStation pads rather than arcade sticks had to ensure they brought their charger cable and that it odds plugged in during every round they play.

Surely the Wii U accepts wired controllers though? Seems a bit short sighted given how big this game was always going to be! Hopefully it won't cause problems at the E3 event.

Third party wireless controllers exist.

Not third party 'fightpads'.

I may well like the pad they release but simply down to having to use a wiimote wont get it as that to me makes no sense at all.

What would be the reason for not just making it a wired connection?

Surely the Wii U accepts wired controllers though? Seems a bit short sighted given how big this game was always going to be! Hopefully it won't cause problems at the E3 event.

Apparently not from what I can find! There's a "wired" gamecube pad in the works but guess where you have to plug it in! Not exactly wireless..

I still remember the faults during the Skyward Sword e3 showcase, they quickly blamed that on interference.

Not really as the complaint is down to the Wii U not supporting USB controllers which leads to bogus controllers like the one recently announced.

Serebii you misinterpreted my complaint. Liger had outlined my complaint though as he didn't look at it with a "defend Nintendo at all costs" view. I was surprised at the Pro Controller not doing so but my complaint wasn't directed at it. It is the fact the WiiU doesn't support USB controllers as Liger thankfully stated.