NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Wii U General Discussion

The thing with conferences that bugs me is the constant self-stroking of egos and the mostly pre-recorded/staged demonstrations.

You are correct in that E3 is a trade show, but Nintendo DO hold conferences for retailers etc. there and did last year. They just don't hold huge press events and that's what people seem to mean by conferences. The huge self-congratulatory ones filled with celebrities, fluff and bullshit, and I for one am glad Nintendo have dropped them.

Also note that last year Nintendo actually booked the theatre they usually use for conferences for the same time they normally do...they just used it for the Smash tournament, so it's not like they saved money

Edited by Serebii

Me, lostmario and Blade were on about this last night. Lostmario suggested they've rented it to watch Sonys press conference. :D

Yeah, they may actually show their first decent exclusive in 2 years on being on the market!! Exciting times!!

Last year's Digital Event was great, I loved it. I'd happily see Ninty go down that route again + lots of live treehouse demos. Maybe keep the big on stage presentations to new console announcements.

Yeah, they may actually show their first decent exclusive in 2 years on being on the market!! Exciting times!!

Maybe they'll show oodles of awesome third party games instead?

Not like the consumer really cares where else they're releasing anyway.

Swing and a miss.

I'd rather a conference than a Direct, there's something about it being live that I like (that Twilight Princess reveal was electric), but to also have the Treehouse bit too as that was fantastic!

I'd rather a conference than a Direct, there's something about it being live that I like (that Twilight Princess reveal was electric), but to also have the Treehouse bit too as that was fantastic!

Same. Not all conferences will be good but I think E3 is about conferences.

Surely Nintendo will go back to a conference when they have new hardware to announce. It would be absurd not too.

I'm pretty sure we'll see another Smash tournament this year (maybe Reggie will take on Hungrybox as he promised last year?), and we'll probably see them do the same for Splatoon with some luck.

I'm pretty sure we'll see another Smash tournament this year (maybe Reggie will take on Hungrybox as he promised last year?), and we'll probably see them do the same for Splatoon with some luck.

Yeah so they're likely to rent out the theatre again.

A Splatoon tournament would be great! (Only if there's voice chat though, obvs)

They should gag all the participants though so they can't talk whilst playing. :p

Jesting aside, I would like to see a Splatoon tournament.

A Splatoon tournament would be great! (Only if there's voice chat though, obvs)

Haha, I love how we both just had to make some comment. :D

I do love a good conference. It's simply the best way to deliver important news and generate hype and interest. People saying it's not that important; it absolutely is if they want to be seen as a relevant contender.

More than that though, people want a show. They want to tune in and see that hysteria that can come about from a conference like this. Awkward moments and exec trumpet blowing are part of the package and not really a negative, more like the filler that pads out awesome reveals (and to me adds to the tension). We've also had some great moments over the years that we'd never have had if it was done any other way.

I do love a good conference. It's simply the best way to deliver important news and generate hype and interest. People saying it's not that important; it absolutely is if they want to be seen as a relevant contender.

More than that though, people want a show. They want to tune in and see that hysteria that can come about from a conference like this. Awkward moments and exec trumpet blowing are part of the package and not really a negative, more like the filler that pads out awesome reveals (and to me adds to the tension). We've also had some great moments over the years that we'd never have had if it was done any other way.

If that's all true then why the common belief that Nintendo "won" last year's E3? Their digital presentation was just non stop news and announcements, no time wasted, all about the games. Yes conferences are grander but I disagree they're the best way to deliver information. The Sony and MS conferences last year put me to sleep after an hour and a half. Though that could have been the fact that every game looked identical to the last.

I love how people justify conferences by mentioning how amazing Twilight Princess... that's one conference in about 70 since that one... Last years direct was the best "event" any of them have had for a decade. Sometimes a conference is exactly what is needed, but I'd say the direct is better for now, maybe with hardware it will be different. Maybe.

It's superficial. You can still get goosebumps with a Direct. The only people who should care if it's a Direct or not are the people who are actually there.

The press conferences are just awkward and a trial to watch. Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo's past ones. People just remember the few highlights and act like it justifies the whole crap. It doesn't.

I love watching and staying up late for the Press Conferences. They're like some sort of sports event like the Australian Grand Prix or Superbowl for gamers :p

Great atmosphere having a crowd present there and a show being put on; you accept any technical issues/fake applause, it's part of it and just adds to the reasons you remember them. Chat is great too.

The Nintendo Treehouse was fantastic. Nintendo Directs for E3, not so much. At least once a year I think it's great to put on a show.

Edited by Retro_Link

If that's all true then why the common belief that Nintendo "won" last year's E3? Their digital presentation was just non stop news and announcements, no time wasted, all about the games. Yes conferences are grander but I disagree they're the best way to deliver information. The Sony and MS conferences last year put me to sleep after an hour and a half. Though that could have been the fact that every game looked identical to the last.

Dunno what you're toking but PS4 won it hands down for me. Bloodborne, No Man's Sky, Witcher 3, Destiny, Grim Fandango. Different tastes and all that, though.

The Wii U had Zelda and Xenoblade as the only 2 fresh/interesting games shown to me. Was not really interested in Splatoon.

But I bet the PS4 one put you to sleep, you Ninty boy, you!

oh-you-dog.jpg

Serious note though, if people preferred Ninty's lineup then that's the power of Zelda doing its rounds again. Think back to when Twilight Princess was revealed, an ultimately less-than-amazing game that generated epic levels of hype when Miyamoto hopped on stage donning sword n' shield.

I love watching and staying up late for the Press Conferences. They're like some sort of sports event like the Australian Grand Prix or Superbowl for gamers :p

Great atmosphere having a crowd present there and a show being put on; you accept any technical issues, it's part of it and just adds to the reasons you remember them. Chat is great too.

The Nintendo Treehouse was fantastic. Nintendo Directs for E3, not so much. At least once a year I think it's great to put on a show.

I can completely understand that and I somewhat agree. I do think the Skyward Sword on stage c0ck up played a big part in why they abandoned on stage presentations.

I love how people justify conferences by mentioning how amazing Twilight Princess... that's one conference in about 70 since that one... Last years direct was the best "event" any of them have had for a decade. Sometimes a conference is exactly what is needed, but I'd say the direct is better for now, maybe with hardware it will be different. Maybe.

That's what I've been saying. People put the pinnacle as a reason for conferences, but very rarely do they hit that level. Was it amazing? No doubt about it, but that's rare...especially nowadays when everything, outside of some Nintendo stuff, is leaked beforehand in one way or another.

Maybe, maybe not. But it won't be remembered in the same way, exclusives are always what defines a console. Always. And the PS4 is gobsmackingly poor in this regard. I would say up there with the Jaguar but that had Tempest 2000.... ;)

I love how people justify conferences by mentioning how amazing Twilight Princess... that's one conference in about 70 since that one...

Not sure what those stats have anything to do with?

They were showing off a new Zelda, last year, they had every opportunity to repeat similar levels of epicness.

I can completely understand that and I somewhat agree. I do think the Skyward Sword on stage c0ck up played a big part in why they abandoned on stage presentations.

Yeah, they should just pre-record the demos and pretend to play them on stage like everyone else so those cockups don't happen :p

Maybe, maybe not. But it won't be remembered in the same way, exclusives are always what defines a console. Always. And the PS4 is gobsmackingly poor in this regard. I would say up there with the Jaguar but that had Tempest 2000.... ;)

Well thank god most people don't view the world with such a cretinous mindset.

As I've said before, if you have both a PS4 and a Wii U, then for all intents and purposes the PS4 has far more exclusives. I have no need for an X1 and the subscription it brings with it, so to me it makes no difference if some of the games I buy are also releasing on X1. I can't get them elsewhere, so to me they're exclusives.

Dunno what you're toking but PS4 won it hands down for me.

Sure we each had our various tastes and preferences but on the whole, it seemed to be common belief in the community Nintendo had the best E3 overall. Sony and Microsoft showed off their shooters and hack and slashs on day 0 then nothing after that. Nintendo kept the momentum going with the Smash invitational, Treehouse stuff, and reveals like Codename Steam and Devil's Third.

Not sure what those stats have anything to do with?

They were showing off a new Zelda, last year, they had every opportunity to repeat similar levels of epicness.

Not they didn't, impossible. Twilight Princess wasn't just about having a great e3. All it was was a trailer at the end. What made that so special was the previous years, CONTEXT IS EVERYTHING. It was the fall out from wind waker, the bitching and moaning and the desire for a realistic zelda, never going to happens, gamecube is a bomb, then a few tiny little rumours but nothing really, then BAM!!!

It wasn't just because it was an awesome trailer.

As I've said before, if you have both a PS4 and a Wii U, then for all intents and purposes the PS4 has far more exclusives. I have no need for an X1 and the subscription it brings with it, so to me it makes no difference if some of the games I buy are also releasing on X1.

Shocker, the biggest nob on the forum resorts to insults... (yes, I know, hypocrite). Why are you so incapable of discussing things? You argue with so many people on here, do you not realise YOU are the reason these arguments happen? Someone disagrees so you have to start insulting.... shocker!!

So what is cretinous? You never actually explained? Probably too busy to throw an insult out as someone doesn't agree with you. I wonder if you're like this in real life, but it wouldn't surprise me if you were slightly socially retarded and use forums as a way to "express" yourself.

Nintendo had the best E3 last year, it seemed as though that was the industry consensus.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/why-nintendo-won-e3-2014/1100-6420391/

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/why-nintendo-won-e3-2014/1100-6420391/

Nintendo's showing was pure gold and it was done in an interesting and fresh way.

As I've said before, if you have both a PS4 and a Wii U, then for all intents and purposes the PS4 has far more exclusives. I have no need for an X1 and the subscription it brings with it, so to me it makes no difference if some of the games I buy are also releasing on X1. I can't get them elsewhere, so to me they're exclusives.

You are truly laughable, you attack another member and call their mindset 'cretinous', then you redefine multi-platform games as exclusives to try and score a point.

This is an amusing low, even for you!