NEurope
Ashley

Orange is the New Black

Wow I'm really surprised people didn't take to it! I loved it. And as for the theme song - it is an absolute tune. Regine Spektor is great anyway, but this song made me like her more!

Shame that Bayonetta, sorry - Alex may not be coming back for a full stint on series 2 (according to rumours), as that would kinda ruin the whole thing!

I see what you mean. Personally, i would have watched the whole episode, but Bobette lost interest quickly and we had to turn it over to something else.

I really liked this show. Watched most of it within 3 days. Very entertaining and quite comedic. I'm very excited for a season 2 but I fear Alex won't come back because of the fact she's a scientologist and they're massive homophobes.

I'm very excited for a season 2 but I fear Alex won't come back because of the fact she's a scientologist and they're massive homophobes.

If that was the case why did she even do the first season?:blank:

Would seem odd to not do a 2nd season for a reason that didn't seem to bother her in season 1?

Anyway just finished watching this.

Was enjoyable, not brilliant but had some good moments.

Though I gotta say I enjoyed the backstories of the supporting Characters and wanted to learn more about them than I did Piper. As the show went on I started to feel Piper was not as likable as a main character should have been (if that makes any sense). I don't think I was even that concerned for her wellbeing at the end much :heh:

But will watch season 2 when it comes out :)

I think Laura Prepon's religious beliefs have been widely overblamed (is that even a think?) She is working on other things and is in the middle of writing/directing a film. Her first scene in the show was a naked shower with another woman, so it's not like she didn't know what she was getting herself on board for.

Mokong - Jenji Kohan has said that they used Piper as a "gateway" character. It's hard to sell a show about a group of ethnically diverse women (sadly), so they sold the show through Piper as a way of introducing these characters. A clever move really, just a shame it has to be used.

Started watching this a couple of days ago... it's not bad, but nothing remotely incredible either... I'm enjoying some characters, others not so much. It doesn't seem to stray much from the Oz-lite formula, though, which is a shame.

If that was the case why did she even do the first season?:blank:

Would seem odd to not do a 2nd season for a reason that didn't seem to bother her in season 1?

Anyway just finished watching this.

Was enjoyable, not brilliant but had some good moments.

Though I gotta say I enjoyed the backstories of the supporting Characters and wanted to learn more about them than I did Piper. As the show went on I started to feel Piper was not as likable as a main character should have been (if that makes any sense). I don't think I was even that concerned for her wellbeing at the end much :heh:

But will watch season 2 when it comes out :)

See this is something that is hard to write so to speak. It's the typical fish out of water comedy formula but in order for it to really work the character has to have some form of likeability something Piper perhaps lacks. Take Will in the Inbetweeners a private school posh kid suddenly in a comprehensive school but struggling we root for him because beneath it all despite his heightened view of himself he is just trying to get through high school something we can all relate to, I'd argue as a geek and someone who moved around a lot during early school days as well I routed for him that little more.

Piper comes across as unlikable unfortunately by having a similar air and is something they do address as the series goes on and she becomes just another inmate in many ways and less judgmental.

Like Ashley said she is used as a gateway much like Jen is in The IT Crowd or for a none comedy character Ellen Page in Inception sometimes they work sometimes they don't. I think for it to really work they have to have their own redeeming qualities.

Dat series 2 ending yo. Pretty much perfect. I can't stop listening to Don't Fear the Reaper now though.

Red is still fucking awesome.

Vee is a brilliantly despisable character.

Crazy Eyes went from likable to a twat.

Doggett is still a massive bitch. Really don't like her.

Still don't like Piper or any part of her story.

The old people kick ass.

Nichols is still pretty rad.

The black girls' story was ok, but nothing special. Poussey's part was the most interesting.

Morello is still adorable and I really liked the twist on her story.

Figueroa was still a complete bitch, but had likable moments.

And my favourite line from Healy during thearapy:

"Are you always so quick to anger?"

"Are you always such a patronising cunt?"

Brilliant delivery on that one.

Where can one view season2?

Same place as Season 1, Netflix

I have 3 episodes left of season 2. I haven't enjoyed this series as much as the first. There's a couple of characters who have become massively unlike able since the introduction of Vee who I also don't really like.

It's all about Red for me. Brilliant character played by a brilliant actress.

The last couple of episodes look to be better than the earlier ones of this season so looking forward to watching tonight.

I have 3 episodes left of season 2. I haven't enjoyed this series as much as the first. There's a couple of characters who have become massively unlike able since the introduction of Vee who I also don't really like.

It's all about Red for me. Brilliant character played by a brilliant actress.

The last couple of episodes look to be better than the earlier ones of this season so looking forward to watching tonight.

You will fucking love the ending. It kind of comes out of nowhere and is a bit of a cop out, but it still put one hell of a smile on my face.

You will fucking love the ending. It kind of comes out of nowhere and is a bit of a cop out, but it still put one hell of a smile on my face.

I have to say, your previous post did excite me! : peace:

I had a feeling that an epic ending was being built but have no idea what's gonna happen.

Will post back once I've watched! I've been doing an episode a night so expect my next post on Tuesday night / Weds morning! :heh:

I have to say, your previous post did excite me! : peace:

I had a feeling that an epic ending was being built but have no idea what's gonna happen.

Will post back once I've watched! I've been doing an episode a night so expect my next post on Tuesday night / Weds morning! :heh:

I wouldn't say the ending is epic as there's no real build up. It's not like there's a well planned out, complicated finale. It's just that the final scene, even if it is a bit silly and unbelievable, is such a "yes" moment.

I also forgot to mention Sophia. Her character (not just in season 2) is great. I love how she wasn't just made a novelty character and is every bit as fleshed out as the others. Shame she wasn't in season 2 as much.

I read that in "sophia's episode" in s01 her rl twin brother played the "pre-surgery" sophia. TRUFAX.

I don't really know how to rate the 2nd series. The first series was mostly being in piper's shoes and not really knowing what the show had in store or where it would go, or what characters to pay attention to. This series was a lot broader - still very watchable, but I felt that the storylines from the first season lost a lot of pace in favour of investing time in bolstering the audience's understanding of, essentially, the bit-players of the story. The whole season was basically Vee's story. I think this was a good vehicle to disect and expand on the stories behind many other characters.

I'm bored of typing. Filler season. But useful character expansion. What happened to Piper in gen pop?