NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
NoA denies streaming of Smash Bros Melee at EVO 2013

That's...interesting. No doubt some games journalists will reach out to them for a comment and we'll get more info as to why(lol no we won't). If it was a more recent game I'd understand, but melee's been out well long enough and a stream of people playing a game isn't exactly the biggest enough copyright infringement to jeopardise SSB4 or anything as far as I'd guess...so yeah. Definitely a bit of a WTF Ninty situation. I'd prefer to wait and see if we get any official word on it, though.

If anything I'd say having Melee in a huge fighting game tournament being streamed for free by various providers would be the ultimate sort of stuff to get people well hyped up for SSB4.

Supposedly, according to what people have heard from EVO's customer service, the reason why this all happened in the first place is because EVO didn't notify Nintendo of their intention to stream, nor did they fill out any of Nintendo's paperwork.

Considering how fast the problem got sorted, I reckon there's a decent chance of it being true. Amazing how quickly and easily things can get blown way out of proportion :laughing:

Yeah, some of the over-reactions to this are ridiculous.

I saw people demanding their donation back.

I saw people saying that this shows Nintendo doesn't support cancer research

I saw people say that this is evidence that Nintendo doesn't have decent network structure (?)

I saw people calling for a boycott of Smash Bros games from now on.

I saw people question why Nintendo are doing this instead of marketing the Wii U (like they're all one department in there)

I know firsthand how literal Nintendo of America's legal department can be. That's all this was. EVO didn't fulfil legal obligations in requesting/notifying Nintendo of America about their intent. Legal said no as they would do. This has since been overturned

Supposedly, according to what people have heard from EVO's customer service, the reason why this all happened in the first place is because EVO didn't notify Nintendo of their intention to stream, nor did they fill out any of Nintendo's paperwork.

Considering how fast the problem got sorted, I reckon there's a decent chance of it being true. Amazing how quickly and easily things can get blown way out of proportion :laughing:

Ahhh, then this explains everything. Silly EVO, nice job damaging Nintendo's name just a little bit more.

Yeah, I was going to say something about how the hell could this happen when there's been no problems for the past 12 years.

I was still half awake when this kicked off last night - Neogaf was particularly enraged, is it clarified that Evo hadn't done the paperwork necessary to stream the game? There seems to be a lot of misinformation flying around, but I'm glad it has been resolved.

The problem is, if it's actually Evo's fault for not going through the right processes - why was it Evo themselves reporting it as if it was Nintendo's issue?? It's a bit mad really, should at least apologise if that's the case.

Cynical but entirely possible; it's a real shitty move if that's the case though.

I was still half awake when this kicked off last night - Neogaf was particularly enraged, is it clarified that Evo hadn't done the paperwork necessary to stream the game? There seems to be a lot of misinformation flying around, but I'm glad it has been resolved.

Apparently people close to EVO's PR say it was on EVO's side

Nintendo got a lot of bad press from this incident on word of mouth alone. If the organisers truly are at fault they should have the decency to issue a statement. Same goes for Nintendo though, someone done goofed here.

It's amazing how many people have signed up for this tournament. For a game as old as Melee to get well over 750 attendees is incredible! The hype is simply off the charts.

Basically, what happened was that they spoke to a couple of people "at Nintendo" and they saw no problem with it, but decided to not contact the legal department because they can "shut things down so quickly". Obviously Nintendo's legal department then had a problem with it, as no matter what when raising money, even if for charity, you ask for permission.

Unfortunately, people are no misconstruing Nintendo wanting to stop it to be Nintendo attempt to shut down EVO -_-

Edited by Serebii

The latest news out of EVO was that they didn't have enough GameCubes/TVs to run the Melee matches.

Apparently the community stepped in with the goods but what the hell kind of tournament is this?

Seems so poorly organised.

Sign in to follow this