NEurope
Grazza

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

As good as Retro are, it's not good for them (or the Wii U - especially at the moment) to release franchises that don't have mass market appeal.

DKC Returns sold nearly 6 million copies worldwide. Second only to the original DKC in sales for that franchise.

Yes...it outsold DKC 2/3. :o

The DK games have sold over 30 million copies worldwide with the DKC trilogy (and the subsequent re-releases on handheld platforms) largely to thank for those numbers.

I contrast, as 'cool' as Metroid is, it has only sold near 18 million copies since its inception. Prime is the best selling game in the franchise with nearly 3 million copies sold. After that, the Metroid franchise has struggled to approach the two million units sold barrier.

Metroid prime corruption sold 1.96million copies.

Prime trilogy sold 0.96 million.

Nintendo gave Samus a second chance with Team Ninja, appealing to the 'mature' and 2D fanbase. Other M sold 1.12 million copies worldwide.

We can all shout for new IP's and more Samus - but Nintendo currently don't have the luxury of risking their time or money without the third party support of other systems - instead they can rely on franchises that sell in their millions and drive the install base.

DKCR2 makes sense in the current climate.

Edited by tapedeck

Reggie says 'DK was Nintendo's big E3 Surprise. The game they've been holding back to show.'

Retro's staff is big enough for two titles...especially as the engine for this game exists already

As good as Retro are, it's not good for them (or the Wii U - especially at the moment) to release franchises that don't have mass market appeal.

DKC Returns sold nearly 6 million copies worldwide. Second only to the original DKC in sales for that franchise.

Yes...it outsold DKC 2/3. :o

The DK games have sold over 30 million copies worldwide with the DKC trilogy (and the subsequent re-releases on handheld platforms) largely to thank for those numbers.

I contrast, as 'cool' as Metroid is, it has only sold near 18 million copies since its inception. Prime is the best selling game in the franchise with nearly 3 million copies sold. After that, the Metroid franchise has struggled to approach the two million units sold barrier.

Metroid prime corruption sold 1.96million copies.

Prime trilogy sold 0.96 million.

Nintendo gave Samus a second chance with Team Ninja, appealing to the 'mature' and 2D fanbase. Other M sold 1.12 million copies worldwide.

We can all shout for new IP's and more Samus - but Nintendo currently don't have the luxury of risking their time or money without the third party support of other systems - instead they can rely on franchises that sell in their millions and drive the install base.

DKCR2 makes sense in the current climate.

I feel sick. What an injustice, I don't know what to think anymore.

HOLY MOTHER FUCKING SHIT DAVID WISE IS COMPOSING!?

http://www.destructoid.com/david-wise-composing-donkey-kong-country-tropical-freeze-256058.phtml

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!!!! :D

Nintendo win E3. Instantly. :bowdown:

Retro's staff is big enough for two titles...especially as the engine for this game exists already

How do you know they are using the same engine? :confused:

Edited by tapedeck
Automerged Doublepost

Honestly surprised that Retro making a DKC game has turned out to be negative news.

Wow, people.

Done. Tired. Boring. 2D platforming was good when it was groundbreaking, now it's just cheap and generic. EVERYONE makes 2D platformers to cash in on the Mario success - games like this just bore me. If I want to may Mario 1-SMW - I will.

Honestly surprised that Retro making a DKC game has turned out to be negative news.

Wow, people.

Did you honestly think this was what Retro had been working on for their big Wii U title. That's why we're disappointed.

People seem to be gutted due to two things:

1) Retro are uber talented and becaus of this they MUST make a mature title. Otherwise they are 'wasting' their talent.

2) Nintendo need a mature title to succeed...even though a title such as Wii Fit sold 22million copies last gen.

I'd like to say something on each point:

1) From an artistic viewpoint it is actually less impressive to copy real life. Creating a world where an ape in a tie fights Viking penguins to save his land is FAR harder to do in an impressive manner.

2) Nintendo dont need a mature title in their portfolio. Third parties bring those games. I'll be playing Splinter Cell, Watch Dogs, Assassins Creed and Batman this Christmas on Wii U.

Done. Tired. Boring. 2D platforming was good when it was groundbreaking, now it's just cheap and generic. EVERYONE makes 2D platformers to cash in on the Mario success - games like this just bore me. If I want to may Mario 1-SMW - I will.

Comparing DKC to Mario is hugely insulting.

I'm mostly gutted because I generally haven't cared much for DK games other than DK64(fooking stellar!) - I just never was that much into them if I had the choice. I only played them as a kid as borrows/lends, and whilst they were good they didn't blow me away. This is more of the same; I understand the appeal but it just isn't for me. I'm not 7 years old in the 90s anymore. I've seen plenty 2D platformers to be bored enough of it all now.

Not sure if serious. Nintendo are strong at making platformers, because they've been doing it for decades. Not just groundbreaking platformers like Galaxy, but the evolutions of previous games, too. Super Mario Bros. 3 for example.

Cheap and generic are not the words I would use to describe this game. It's very harsh, in my opinion. In fact, I'd say it's wrong.

Did you honestly think this was what Retro had been working on for their big Wii U title. That's why we're disappointed.

Well, some of the garbage you hear about what Retro are doing is implausible half the time. "Oh, they're working on F Zero!" "Oh, it's Starfox!" Where does this info come from? It's made out of thin air.

Did I think Retro were working on DK? It doesn't shock me, because they did it on the Wii and were superb at it. They did Metroid Prime on the GC and nobody cried buckets when they did Metroid Prime 3. Nobody at the time moaned "oh, but they could be doing Starfox, F Zero, ICE CLIMBER (seriously, wtf now?)".

Comparing DKC to Mario is hugely insulting.

OK. Maybe. I didn't play enough, as just said, to know/make a decision. But why? What do they offer over it? What does this offer over DKC in the 90s? What does it do that hasn't be done before?

Not sure if serious. Nintendo are strong at making platformers, because they've been doing it for decades. Not just groundbreaking platformers like Galaxy, but the evolutions of previous games, too. Super Mario Bros. 3 for example.

Cheap and generic are not the words I would use to describe this game. It's very harsh, in my opinion. In fact, I'd say it's wrong.

See previous. What is it doing that's new? Also I said 2D platformers, whilst I'll agree Galaxy was linear as fuck that it practically WAS a 2D platformer, I wouldn't have included it here. EDIT: Actually, I'd love to hear what ground it broke, too.

And yes, I'm totally serious. Nothing comes close to touching or matching SM64, that's a real crying shame.

Edited by Rummy
Automerged Doublepost

OK. Maybe. I didn't play enough, as just said, to know/make a decision. But why? What do they offer over it? What does this offer over DKC in the 90s? What does it do that hasn't be done before?

(I don't see why it has to do anything new beyond more levels, but;)

What does DKC(TF,R) offer over Mario;

- Better music

- Glorious fluidity

- More challenging

- More variety

- More enjoyable gameplay in general, more moves etc. Things like climbing vines, hopping in minekarts, barrels, rockets, rolling....its all just so brilliant, the pace and feel of the game, combined with all of its aspects - it makes it such a delightful package.

What is this one doing new in comparison to other DKC's;

- Dynamic camera angles, different perspectives which isn't groundbreaking but its nice.

- First one in HD.

- Etc.

(Lol...but yeah, I don't see why a game HAS to do something new, if the base is already so good).

Improving the enemies is more than enough for me. But this gives us cool new worlds AND DIXIE KONG.

Makes you think, maybe half the studio were making Wii U engines and tools after all.

Extended trailer :-

Developer Direct :-

Direct confirms there's a secret third Kong in the game! Funky? Kiddy Kong?

2) Nintendo dont need a mature title in their portfolio. Third parties bring those games. I'll be playing Splinter Cell, Watch Dogs, Assassins Creed and Batman this Christmas on Wii U.

That's nice and all but next Christmas what will you be playing from 3rd parties? I think after this wave of 3rd party games Wii U could be in serious trouble going forward. There was no new 3rd party announcements in the E3 Nintendo Direct.

Of course DKCR2 is going to be a great game, that's something I think we can all agree on. But, I put it like this, if someone gave you a choice between being given €10 million or €100 million, which are you going to choose?

They didn't say say Kong ... they said character. [cross fingers for playable K.Rool]

See previous. What is it doing that's new? Also I said 2D platformers, whilst I'll agree Galaxy was linear as fuck that it practically WAS a 2D platformer, I wouldn't have included it here. EDIT: Actually, I'd love to hear what ground it broke, too.

And yes, I'm totally serious. Nothing comes close to touching or matching SM64, that's a real crying shame.

(I don't see why it has to do anything new beyond more levels, but;)

What does DKC(TF,R) offer over Mario;

- Better music

- Glorious fluidity

- More challenging

- More variety

- More enjoyable gameplay in general, more moves etc. Things like climbing vines, hopping in minekarts, barrels, rockets, rolling....its all just so brilliant, the pace and feel of the game, combined with all of its aspects - it makes it such a delightful package.

What is this one doing new in comparison to other DKC's;

- Dynamic camera angles, different perspectives which isn't groundbreaking but its nice.

- First one in HD.

- Etc.

(Lol...but yeah, I don't see why a game HAS to do something new, if the base is already so good).

Improving the enemies is more than enough for me. But this gives us cool new worlds AND DIXIE KONG.

ReZ nailed it.

As for nothing coming close to SM64. Galaxy did, rather before it crapped on it. Galaxy is superior in every way, imo.

A sequel to one of the best Wii games?

Yes.

But more importantly....DKC. And more importantly still....

DIXIE KONG

So fucking happy.

Also'; worst thing about DKCR - the TERRIBLE enemy design - this has FUCKING WICKED COOL enemy designs!

Totally understand now you're love for the series and disappointment / rage at me for not exploring what is, IMO, one of the greatest platformers ever.

I got a little too excited when I saw Dixie. This looks fuckin awesome. Can't wait. :yay:

Edited by Aneres11

That's nice and all but next Christmas what will you be playing from 3rd parties? I think after this wave of 3rd party games Wii U could be in serious trouble going forward. There was no new 3rd party announcements in the E3 Nintendo Direct.

Of course DKCR2 is going to be a great game, that's something I think we can all agree on. But, I put it like this, if someone gave you a choice between being given €10 million or €100 million, which are you going to choose?

I'll have to consult my crystal ball to see what's coming next Christmas from third parties. There are no guarantees that people will want to fork out £400+ to get involved with next gen, especially with monthly charges to play online and some of the same games on the 360/PS3/Wii U. This could result in more third party support for Wii U, especially when the install base is established. That Wii U 2014 lineup is insane afterall. If Mario Kart U sells half of the Wii version that's a good 17million sales. It's all up in the air but the whole Nintendoomed outlook is far from done. They are sitting on the industries biggest franchises and as costs rise, devs may need an outlet to make money.

Who's to say that Ubi won't release a ZombiU or Red steel sequel next year? Activision's CoD should launch on Wii U annually (historically does) and EA can't turn down cash for long...

Your money metaphor: if the ten million made you über happy or the 100 million made you unhappy what would you take? It's subjective.. but DKC still stands as a strong franchise and good seller.

ReZ nailed it.

As for nothing coming close to SM64. Galaxy did, rather before it crapped on it. Galaxy is superior in every way, imo.

This...I disagree with. The comparison ReZ makes is against the 2D marios I presume, as that is what I compare DKC to(and always sort of have done). Re: Galaxy vs Sm64, that isn't this thread relevant per se - but I feel the latter is superior for being more accidentally open world, with a hub world and secrets in itself. If you genuinely play galaxy and find it more enjoyable, I cannot argue with that. I just do not myself.

My issue with this game, as I posed to you both - is I don't see what it is doing that's new? What's new and good about this that I should wish to purchase it, to play it?

I thought the game looked great. No doubt that it will play even better, but I think most people are just dissapointed by the fact that Retro Studios aren't using their resources for another new/re-imagined IP.

Nothing has been confirmed on that side, in fact they could have easily split up the dev team and used the majority of the team that developed the previous DKCR games and set aside other developers for another project. We'll have to wait and see.

9016277411_0f678c444c_o.jpg

9017468088_2abb375b8c_o.jpg

Retro Studios Had a Hard Time Deciding

Michael Kelbaugh from Retro Studios says that it was hard to decide between making a new Metroid or Donkey Kong game.

Revealed in a tweet by an ONM writer, Donkey Kong was chosen because Retro felt they had unfinished business with the franchise. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is one of this year's Wii U tent-pole games and a follow up to Retro's Donkey Kong Country Returns.