N-Europe

Rumour: Zoonami dev leaks revo info?

Cold Fire

Came across this on my nightly revolution rounds. Gamespot forum seems to have got wind of it although the original material was posted on the 22/12/05. Did a search for it here but didnt get any results.

Basically, some guy who claims to work for the german gaming press says that he has been talking to a developer at Zoonami who has provided him with a huge ammount of information.

I am a member of the German gaming press and wanted to bring this to everyone’s attention. I have been in contact with a supposed employee of Zoonami in the UK concerning the rumored game “Guts N‘ Glory“. He has been in contact with me through these e-mails and over the phone. He pleads a very good case and from what I can tell from my talks with him he knows his stuff. On the same coin though I will have to consider all of this fake and mere speculation until real proof and credibility is provided. But even so, if it is fake you have to give credit where credit is due. He presents an amazing but somewhat unbelievable vision of this game. He is truly a visionary whether fake or not in my opinion simply because of the intricate details. Either way it is a decent read and we need more people in the industry to be like this. He shares an inside view at upcoming games in development and more. Fake or not in my opinion an excellent read. Enjoy.

All in all the guy posts ten threads with very long emails in, some parts seem plausable yet other's outlandish (Incest on a Nintendo console... i dont think so!).

He touches on the power of the revolution, and also states that the revolution disk drive will be HD-DVD! He talks about the controller attachments along with a lot of info regarding the new Zelda for the cube.

I am always scepticle about these leaks, and for a moment this guy nearly had me until he starts getting a bit too cocky with his claims. He does however go into great detail about a whole range of things raging from physics engines to graphics, future games for the PS3 and X360 etc. Make of it what you will. Either way it is a good read and perhaps can provoke some speculation.

The forum in question can be found here

Start with "New Info/Revolution game: Guts N' Glory" and work your way up.

It's a load of rubbish mate.

Zoonami are being extremely tight lipped about all their projects in progress. There's no way some random German member of the games press will have gotten anything yet.

did "guts and glory" not give it away? Who in their right mind (besides rockstar or some tiny press attention seeking developer) would call their game 'guts and glory'

Totally fake.

If I'm not mistaken, BigTac seemed to know something about this project and was really excited about it, he could say if it's a fake (plz!).

On my personal opinion, this is faken, the guy tries to put the responsibility on an imaginary person, so he doesn't has to deal with damage control.

I only read the first email and then stopped:

"As a result we have been able to have up to 90,000 characters on-screen at once each with a respective 600,000 polygons per character running at a locked 60fps."

That means a polygon rate of 54 000 000 000 whereas the official MS specs say that the Xbox360 is able to push about 500 000 000 polygons per second (in theory which means no AI, physics, etc.). So the Revolution can do 108 times more than the Xbox360? I guess not!

Furthermore they claim to use parts of different graphic engines and get help from at least 4 different developers. Why would Retro, Clover, Ubisoft, Human Head just help Zoonami - that is not very common at all.

Last but not least they implement the war in Iraq and hurricane "Katrina" in their game? As much as I like realism but I doubt that the majority of people will like this and Nintendo as a japanese company which is used to natural disasters won't like it either. I can't remember a single Nintendo game with a AO rating .... maybe in a different universe!

Current status: Confirmed FAKE!

Just from reading that he's said it'll be HD-DVD is enough to warrant this fake. That's just not going to happen, period.

That is 100% true. The Revolution is backwards compatible with GCN games. The GCN game discs are a proprietary format, owned by Panasonic and lisenced to Nintendo.

Therefore the disc drives in the Revolution must be made by Panasonic.

If anything, and this is outlandish, because it is highly unlikely, the Revolution will use a Blu Ray Disc drive.

That is 100% true. The Revolution is backwards compatible with GCN games. The GCN game discs are a proprietary format, owned by Panasonic and lisenced to Nintendo.

Therefore the disc drives in the Revolution must be made by Panasonic.

If anything, and this is outlandish, because it is highly unlikely, the Revolution will use a Blu Ray Disc drive.

Not saying that ut will have HD-DVD, but can't panasonic make a HD-DVD drive? Still, Nintendo said it would be a proprietary format, which makes sense in order to avoid piracy.

Panasonic is one of the founders of the Blue-Ray Association, meaning they do Blu-Ray and not HD-DVD. They will NOT make one.

Anyway the propietary format is dropped for the 9 gig DVD-9 standard. That's been confirmed by Matt Cassamina. That'll be enough for the Rev I hope.

One of the first few lines in the first e-mail already proves it's fake:

Our graphics engine is a proprietary concept based loosely on the Unreal Engine 3.0, Doom 3, Project Offset, Timeshift and F.E.A.R. engines and a combination of many others. We tried to incorporate all of the strengths of these engines and leave behind the respective weaknesses.

This person knows nothing of game design. He's mixing ten engines, each based on completely different technologies and design to make a game that pushes billions of polygons (far beyond the level of those engines)? That's just bullshite, pure and simple.

It would be good if it were true, some of it sounds plausible. I remember a game called "game zero" which was supposed to be a killer app for the gamecube and Nintendo were rumoured to have helped out a bit with the game. But the amount of polygons being mentioned in game are just crazy! This person if the stories are lies would've had to spend alot of time coming up with these ideas and remembering old news and rumours. Like Too Human and RE5 and the new game from Clover Studios. Most things sound plausible except for polygons. Also referring to DCK I think he was saying they copied their strengths not mixing the engines together. It could well be all bs and probably is but it was interesting, especially that game from Capcom called "The Joys Of Lights".

Some good posts guys.

One thing that i didnt mention in my posts which i think is worth 2c is the fact that throughout the emails the guy claims to of sent numerous amounts of screenshots to the supposed German Games media guy.

He also says that the press guy can release these shots further into the future at what i can gather are predetermined set times. Although he doesnt say when this will be.

If screenies do start to show (which i doubt they will) then that will be the only way that this can be proven to be anything other than fake.

I was boring so started to read all the emails, and even knowing this is probably false, I was getting excited when I read about some funcionalities of the pad. Oh and there's one statement about zelda where he states this:

"Furthermore this game really is a evolution of The Legend of Zelda, the story has a lot to do with the romance between Link and Princess Zelda."

Could this be someway connected with the recent declarations of zelda being hardcore?? yeah I shouldn't be reading this, but.....

ok ok I need to stop but look at this "speculation :indeed: ":

We were also shown at this meeting a twenty minute long teaser for the new GameBoy. Which is now simply dubbed GBSX. It showed some technical specs and demos that will utterly trounce the PSP, this thing will be head and shoulders on par with GameCube graphics. Right now its still in early prototype form but the design was really cool looking. It had a widescreen display that was backlit (just like the newly designed SP). Similar to the SP and DS it flipped up to reveal the screen on top and button layout on the bottom. The only difference is that a button is pushed and the screen comes up automatically. Of course this may change in the final product design. It has A, B, Y, X buttons on the face and two triggers on the top. It also had a Z button just behind the R trigger. The teaser also showed a new specially designed D-stick (which is basically an analog stick and D-pad combined). Its hard to explain so you’ll have to see for yourself how this functions. But there’s one on the left side of the face and a smaller roller ball button underneath the face buttons. At the end of the teaser it showed that another extraordinary innovative part is planned to make it to the GBSX but did not specify what it was.