NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Charlie

Wish I Was Here (Zach Braff)

Zach Braff wants to make a follow up film to his masterpiece, Garden State. He's opted to go through Kickstarter so he will get final cut and make the movie that he wants to make.

If anyone hasn't seen Garden State, go watch it now.

There is absolutely no way in hell this won't be funded. Garden State was extremely well received and Braff is an extremely popular guy.

Don't be such a k...

too easy.

Edit: Wow $1.4m in a day, $2m target, 30 days remaining... they gonna be laughin'!

Edited by Shorty

Don't be such a k...

too easy.

Edit: Wow $1.4m in a day, $2m target, 30 days remaining... they gonna be laughin'!

klobb?

Yeah i would imagine they'll end up with a lot more than 2 million. Braff really knows how to work his social medias.

ferk, i was hoping to wait until next pay day to contribute! >.>

It doesn't end for another 29 days.

And you don't pay until the end (is what Cube was getting at there).

Looks like it may break all the records VM broke!

That's bull. Who the fuck has the right to tell other people how to spend their money?

Braff has said that he could have got the movie made but it would have come at an artistic cost. Kickstarters from unknowns may be in the same boat - they may have had financiers but they would have had to answer to someone else, or make it using product placement, or include their hackneyed child who thinks they can act. We can't just take the assumption that anyone who is famous must be trying to con people and can afford to do it themselves, while anyone else is legit.

I donated to the VM one because I wanted to see the movie. Yes, I essentially paid $60 for a movie ticket (with a few extras such as the DVD), but it was my prerogative. There was a lot of bashing at the time that stating "oh they're rich, they can make it". How do we know they're rich? KB has not done a movie in about a year now, has a new born and I can't imagine she commands that much of a salary. Rob Thomas has several children (2 I think) and likewise hasn't really done much work since Party Down finished. The $2 million they needed wouldn't have covered everything, I imagine they chipped in what they could and are working on the cheap (or for a % of returns). It's a dickish move of WB to say "oh well if you can get the extra money, we'll do it" but these are people that wanted to make a movie that needed money, and fans that wanted a movie made and was willing to pay for it. Nobody would have donated expecting a cut of the profits.

Is it a shame that movie studios are pulling these kind of moves? Yes. But don't take it out on artists that want to do a personal project as they are playing within their confines. If Kickstarter is used to pay towards Iron Man 4, then that's a cause for alarm but these essentially are indie projects (the apparent ethos of kickstarter), but with 'big' names attached.

We can't just take the assumption that anyone who is famous must be trying to con people and can afford to do it themselves, while anyone else is legit.

I also think that there are legal reasons that they can't use all their money on a project like this.

Oh, and @bob, that isn't Ken Levine of Bioshock fame.

I also think that there are legal reasons that they can't use all their money on a project like this.

Oh, and @bob, that isn't Ken Levine of Bioshock fame.

Who? I thought it was the lead singer of Maroon 5....

That's bull. Who the fuck has the right to tell other people how to spend their money?

Braff has said that he could have got the movie made but it would have come at an artistic cost. Kickstarters from unknowns may be in the same boat - they may have had financiers but they would have had to answer to someone else, or make it using product placement, or include their hackneyed child who thinks they can act. We can't just take the assumption that anyone who is famous must be trying to con people and can afford to do it themselves, while anyone else is legit.

I donated to the VM one because I wanted to see the movie. Yes, I essentially paid $60 for a movie ticket (with a few extras such as the DVD), but it was my prerogative. There was a lot of bashing at the time that stating "oh they're rich, they can make it". How do we know they're rich? KB has not done a movie in about a year now, has a new born and I can't imagine she commands that much of a salary. Rob Thomas has several children (2 I think) and likewise hasn't really done much work since Party Down finished. The $2 million they needed wouldn't have covered everything, I imagine they chipped in what they could and are working on the cheap (or for a % of returns). It's a dickish move of WB to say "oh well if you can get the extra money, we'll do it" but these are people that wanted to make a movie that needed money, and fans that wanted a movie made and was willing to pay for it. Nobody would have donated expecting a cut of the profits.

Is it a shame that movie studios are pulling these kind of moves? Yes. But don't take it out on artists that want to do a personal project as they are playing within their confines. If Kickstarter is used to pay towards Iron Man 4, then that's a cause for alarm but these essentially are indie projects (the apparent ethos of kickstarter), but with 'big' names attached.

I can kind of see that Ken blokes point though. It's bit like when a someone who's got it made walks into Dragon's Den asking for investment, when they've already made it / got enough funding already. Taking the opportunity off someone who has less of a chance.

But ultimately, there is no stopping anyone doing a kickstarter and if that's what fans want to put money into then that's their choice.

Braff can take his Kickstarter and forcibly insert it up his existential anus.

I don't get why he'd even use Kickstarter. He has enough fame to circumvent the (what is it?) 30% that Kickstarter take from each project buy using a personal website. He's just a fucking idiot.

Good luck to him.

Braff can take his Kickstarter and forcibly insert it up his existential anus.

I don't get why he'd even use Kickstarter. He has enough fame to circumvent the (what is it?) 30% that Kickstarter take from each project buy using a personal website. He's just a fucking idiot.

Good luck to him.

A fucking idiot who has currently raised $2.5m on Kickstarter for a follow-up to an extremely successful film and has complete creative control, something he wouldn't have got using traditional methods. Using Kickstarter gets it far more coverage than it would using his own website.

I never said he should revert to traditional methods, I said he has enough clout as an 'extremely successful' film maker to avoid having almost a third of his funding lost to Kickstarter.

As if he couldn't have got that kind of funding for somewhere else, too. That's a pitiful budget for a movie in any case. I suspect Levine is right; he couldn't be bothered to do the hard work of knocking on people's doors for 10 months and went straight to Kickstarter instead.

Kickstarter only take 5% from the total amount funded and then Amazon Payments takes between 3-5%.

It's also worth noting that any other website would also have the same payment processing fee. I think Braff did the right option for crowdsourcing and used Kickstarter. Everyone knows about it, it has the legal side to it (money has to be spent on the project, if it doesn't reach the target the money isn't paid etc).

I don't want people like him using Kickstarter. I think it should be a platform for those who have none, not those who've made it.

Interesting stat about big name projects acting as rainmakers (apparently a term):

In a blog post about the current kerfuffle, "Who is Kickstarter for?", the site's founders say that 63% of the "Veronica Mars" campaign's donors had never pledged funds to a Kickstarter project before, and "thousands" of the film's more than 100,000 backers went on to contribute a total of $400,000 to 2,200 other projects.

Sign in to follow this