NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Direct 23rd Jan - Wii U only - Worldwide

Impressive...Wind Waker looked lovely too...although a little 'less' cartoony?

Wonderful 101 has personality too...shaping up nicely. And 'X' the Monolith Studios title should be brilliant considering it looks to maintain a similar art style and combat system as Xenoblade.

Content for a January event.

Could we be seeing Mario, Yoshi, Mario Kart and Zelda HD for Christmas 2013? Those are Big Guns! :-0

Edited by tapedeck

Missed the video as I was in a meeting however I've just read a summary of what was shown.

Jizzed. Everywhere.

To all the negative b*stards, that was better than either of MS or Sony's E3 last year!

That was better than any E3 since the N64 days! Nintendo really out did themselves this time. Why didn't they show this stuff during last years E3? The Wii U would be flying off the shelves.

To all the negative b*stards, that was better than either of MS or Sony's E3 last year!

Dude thats what Nintendo's E3 should of been last year.

I just feel like it's further evidence that Nintendo are REALLY struggling to make HD, while Ubisoft can crank out 3 Assassin's Creeds in a few years... I know they're all about quality but if they can't even show screenshots of Mario or Zelda or a logo, it just gets a bit worrying.

EDIT: I think my definition of "megaton" is very different to other people's definitions.. confirmation that they're making games everybody in the world knows they are making...

Edited by Hamishmash

Yoshi Yarn looked simply gorgeous, Monolith's game gobsmackingly good, Wind Waker U deftly beautiful.

Fire Emblem x Shin Megami Tensei was the total surprise I was looking for.

Wish we'd had more than words about EAD Tokyo's Mario and MK, but still!

How about the new Zelda being less linear and more modern? Plus the cryptic message that you won't play through the game on your own. Co-op or... squad mates? Both those things make me think of the first Mass Effect

I'm a solid believer in the put up or shut up philosophy of reveals. Cryptic messages and hints mean nothing to me. When it's fully revealed rather than some words spoken to give hopes to people who may have adopted a Wii U a little bit early, I could understand it to be a megaton.

Heck, despite the fact they've released details of it already, the full reveal is going to be a megaton. But I just can't comprehend the idea of a megaton being something that lacked what the medium is all about, visuals and audio.

I just feel like it's further evidence that Nintendo are REALLY struggling to make HD, while Ubisoft can crank out 3 Assassin's Creeds in a few years... I know they're all about quality but if they can't even show screenshots of Mario or Zelda or a logo, it just gets a bit worrying.

Iwata even said when the Fire Emblem crossover/collaboration was announced they are struggling with the development schedules. I guess the scale of HD has really pushed them further than they were prepared.

They actually showed screenshots of the WW remake and of Yoshi's Epic Yarn.

And a video of the Xenoblade sequel.

Really great Nintendo Direct! So much content and good news.

When he started talking of 2 returning franchises though, I was hoping he'd say F-Zero or Star Fox!

Oh come on, they're not spilling all the beans just yet! They've just set the internet on fire. They will show them when they're ready. What's the point of revealing all too soon? They could easily rule E3 by just showing off stuff they revealed today in greater detail!

The fact they're making an all new Zelda game that's going to drop the linear structure and go open world with the potential for multiplayer, that's the biggest switch-up Nintendo could have done with that series.

Here comes mr negative. Apart from WWHD, Monolith Soft's game, Fire Emblem cross over and the new Yoshi game. What really was the point in that?

That's a bit like going to a lapdancing club and then saying "Apart from the sexy, naked ladies, what's the point?" ;):heh:

Iwata even said when the Fire Emblem crossover/collaboration was announced they are struggling with the development schedules. I guess the scale of HD has really pushed them further than they were prepared.

Despite my negativity with Nintendo's slow progression, this is most certainly understandable. They have dived straight into the deep end of the HD pool because they missed all the practise back during the PS3/360 days.

As long as they keep the focus on simply making good games while they tune up the graphics over time, they shouldn't lose their way.

I agree. That's why we got what we did for launch and why games are thin on the horizon. This is what happens when you're 6 or 7 years late to the HD party, they're playing catch up big time and struggling. It was left to Monolith Soft to show how it's done and what a beauty it is!

NeoGaf is hilarious, practically everyone is going mental at all the announcements.

And hopefully Mario, Smash and Mario Kart will rock E3 too, and ofc Retro's game :)

To me that whole Direct felt like Nintendo had to apologise for lack of games and further delays to titles such as Pikmin and as a way of trying to justify everyone's investment in the Wii U they had to release some new information. A lot of which was pointless and had nothing to show.

Totally agree.

"We've nothing to offer in the immediate couple of months that you haven't seen so here are som videos of games you may or not be playing sometime this December at best.

And since Zelda is going to take a while, we thought it would cheaper and easier to redo Wind Waker since we already made a start when trying to figure out this new fancy tech everyone else has been using for 7 years.

And Serebii, you can take this as officially revoking of our policy on showing games that won't be out in the next 6 months as we know you like to annoy people with it."

At least, that's how I saw it.

Let's just say I daren't go on NeoGAF this afternoon :p

I'm glad they didn't show anything, I don't care after they showed everything after that. If they had nothing else to show after that then yeah, go ahead and complain.

They'll just be complaining that another Mario and Mario Kart game are coming out anyway.

He said they would be at E3 anyway, don't get what the big deal is.

You need to stop letting these people get to you. :P

Windfall Island in HD? They have correctly identified Wind Waker as the best game with the best graphical style, and Windfall Island as the best town! Wind Waker completely remade in HD? This is better than any upscaled Virtual Console version (which I wasn't expecting anyway)! And a brand new Zelda, presumably in that style?

Been wanting to replay this, but it looks pretty bad on an HDTV. Plus this version might have new dungeons/features.

Guess the Tingle Tuner will be controllable on the gamepad.

Need to check screenshots again but the new graphics seem to have lost some of the style.

The fact half of a 'new game announcement' video was taken up by Miiverse and talking of system updates kind of shows that.

No, this is important. It's nice to know they are going to be addressing load times and new features are coming. Miiverse stuff? Yeah, almost pointless, I was only vaguely aware of certain features though. Reconfirmed it will be accessible on a phone/internet soon.

That's a bit like going to a lapdancing club and then saying "Apart from the sexy, naked ladies, what's the point?" ;):heh:

I get it, you love Wind Waker, so do I. But what we really got was an announcement of two new games Yoshi and Fire Emblem crossover.

Wind Waker HD - Remake

New Zelda, Mario, MK - Expected, nothing shown.

Smash Bros - Knew about, still nothing to show

Bayonetta 2 - Knew about, a short clip of non gameplay footage

Monolith Soft Game - Knew about, finally got some footage

Wonderful 101 - Why isn't this out yet?

Pikmin 3 - Not even given a release date it's that delayed..

Correct me if I'm wrong, missed a game or two.

No, this is important. It's nice to know they are going to be addressing load times and new features are coming. Miiverse stuff? Yeah, almost pointless, I was only vaguely aware of certain features though. Reconfirmed it will be accessible on a phone/internet soon.

You're right it's important. But a press release would suffice. Why put it at the front of a 'New First Party Software Announcement' Direct?

Oh come on, they're not spilling all the beans just yet! They've just set the internet on fire. They will show them when they're ready. What's the point of revealing all too soon? They could easily rule E3 by just showing off stuff they revealed today in greater detail!

The fact they're making an all new Zelda game that's going to drop the linear structure and go open world with the potential for multiplayer, that's the biggest switch-up Nintendo could have done with that series.

Imagine a skyrim scale Zelda game....a four swords zelda game allowing co-op play done in a windwaker art style

You're right it's important. But a press release would suffice. Why put it at the front of a 'New First Party Software Announcement' Direct?

Press releases are boring. :P

Press releases are boring. :P

So was the first few minutes of that Direct..