NEurope
Retro_Link

PlayStation 4 Console Discussion

The next generation isn't going to blow my mind

Wouldn't call your face straight teeebs.

Got to say I'm looking forward to seeing what Sony announce today. Not had a Sony console since PlayStation 2 they could win me back.

Same here. Hope Sony use this opportunity to get us truly excited about the next gen.

Alot of hype so far....

Grid 2 you mean?... or you think they'll be developing Grid 3 for the PS4?

I may be getting confused between the number of GRiD and DiRT games. Whatever the one they're currently working on is.

I may be getting confused between the number of GRiD and DiRT games. Whatever the one they're currently working on is.
Grid 2 comes out in May I think, so yeah there could be a PS4 version of that, but I'm not sure it'll sell all that well given the 6 month gap to the console or whatever. Wonder if Codemasters could have something else in the works.

I just want it to launch with Wipeout with 12 new tracks and music consisting largely of 90s Chemical Brothers. Day one purchase. Bliss.

I just want it to launch with Wipeout with 12 new tracks and music consisting largely of 90s Chemical Brothers. Day one purchase. Bliss.

Is that likely after they closed the studio?

It may sound strange, but I think Sony have developed a lot more heart through the PS3 and with their PS3 franchises/approach, and I think that's what's drawn me too them after all these years.

Watching that PS1/2/3 comparison video I still get that sense of what I didn't like about Sony in the past, even though I find it difficult to explain exactly what that was.

With the PS3 however they've completely won me over, the event tonight has me really excited and it'll be the first E3 I go into watching their press conference as a real fan wanting to see what they have to offer, instead of to just see what the others are doing, or hoping they have somewhat of a bad one.

They still own the franchise, and it's pretty popular as well as being a critical darling. Franchises are traded between studios all the time anyway, there's no real reason why they couldn't do it, plus it's always been a system showcase. If they want show off how pretty something can look on their new system, there's no better avenue for that than a new Wipeout.

Reminds me how much more rad the old PS1 boot-up screens were..

Hell yeh :bouncy: I may have grown up a huge Nintendo fan, but the startup of the original PlayStation remains one of my favourite things in gaming because the sound and the imagery takes me back to an AMAZING time in my life :yay:

It may sound strange, but I think Sony have developed a lot more heart through the PS3 and with their PS3 franchises/approach, and I think that's what's drawn me too them after all these years.

Watching that PS1/2/3 comparison video I still get that sense of what I didn't like about Sony in the past, even though I find it difficult to explain exactly what that was.

With the PS3 however they've completely won me over, the event tonight has me really excited and it'll be the first E3 I go into watching their press conference as a real fan wanting to see what they have to offer, instead of to just see what the others are doing, or hoping they have somewhat of a bad one.

I have actually found myself going the other way :heh: The PS1 provides some special memories, particularly games such as Metal Gear Solid and ISS Pro Evolution 2, whilst the Pro Evolution Soccer series on PS2 was an absolute blast with friends from school as everyone knew how to play it and the tournaments we had were great fun :hehe:

The PS3, however, hasn't offered me any happy feelings whenever I've played it. This is partly down to the games themselves and also probably the stage I'm at in my life where time spent with friends is greatly reduced and everyone's interests have changed.

I'm hoping the PS4 can somehow help capture me and make me feel some of that excitement I felt throughout the 90s.. but it's probably unlikely..

The next generation isn't going to blow my mind

Only if the companies go the same way as the Wii U and keep the majority of the gaming world locked down to 720p again.

It's going to be a win/win for console gamers next gen with these consoles, well, should be win/win. If they continue the trend and focus it all on graphics, there's a big bump to be had. If they go against the trend and have moderate improvement for the sake of performance, there's going to be a whole world of difference.

Only if the companies go the same way as the Wii U and keep the majority of the gaming world locked down to 720p again.

It's going to be a win/win for console gamers next gen with these consoles, well, should be win/win. If they continue the trend and focus it all on graphics, there's a big bump to be had. If they go against the trend and have moderate improvement for the sake of performance, there's going to be a whole world of difference.

Performance should be enhanced, that's for damned sure. However, an improvement in graphics...I really don't see it happening.

Performance should be enhanced, that's for damned sure. However, an improvement in graphics...I really don't see it happening.

Major respect for your views of performance. It's something that's pissed me off a lot with this generation.

As for the graphics, maybe it wont be much of a leap at first glimpse, but there is a shit load of new technology that allows for games to be rendered a lot better at the rumoured specification. Brown and bloom should technically be a thing of the past, texture quality trickery by having ridiculously detailed guns and having the area textures looking like shit should be improved etc

This generation has been full of effects to mask the imperfections of the graphical quality. This is why I believe it may not look like a leap at first, but you'll notice the difference once you're used to it and experienced it with your own eyes.

Though I'm open to being wrong, with developers loving to cut corners and such. That and as you've said regarding the Wii U, it's only going to get impressive a year or two down the line.

I feel like the PS3 is the spiritual successor to the N64. I'm not really sure why, maybe because it's the console that both companies pushed really progressive games.

I hope that with the PS4 things like pixelated flickering shadows, pop-in, criss-cross cardboard leaves, flat water, smeary stretched textures and dead eyes are a thing of the past (even Uncharted is guilty of the latter). Other things that need to be improved are more a matter of talent and artistry (and budget? :hmm:), like good lip sync, fluid transitions between animation cycles and varied lighting and design (though games are already ahead of the movie industry's retarded orange and teal-isms!).

1080p as standard will be a nice boon too, but I honestly think these are things only the likes of us notice.

I hope that with the PS4 things like pixelated flickering shadows, pop-in, criss-cross cardboard leaves, flat water, smeary stretched textures and dead eyes are a thing of the past (even Uncharted is guilty of the latter). Other things that need to be improved are more a matter of talent and artistry (and budget? :hmm:), like good lip sync, fluid transitions between animation cycles and varied lighting and design (though games are already ahead of the movie industry's retarded orange and teal-isms!).

1080p as standard will be a nice boon too, but I honestly think these are things only the likes of us notice.

Precisely, which is why it'll be a hardsell to the general consumer

meh, never really noticed in the games I've got for the console. Probably because I'm having too much fun.

Be nice to see shorter load times mind. Sonic Generation I'm looking at you.

Definitely would be the hard sell so I would be surprised if that's how they focus their marketing. I don't think they'll be focusing on specs at all. It'll be about features and franchises.