Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

General Gaming Sales/Charts Discussion

Apparently the PS3 did 165k in the UK on its launch and that wasn't the best of launches. It will be interesting to see how the PS4 does in the UK on Friday.

The PS3 had a good launch week in the UK. It was afterwards where sales dried up. 165k first weekend was very very good considering the PSP holds the record crown with 185k.

Week 47, 2013 - Individual Formats (Units)

01 (NE) XBO FIFA 14 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)

02 (NE) XBO FORZA MOTORSPORT 5 (MICROSOFT)

03 (01) 360 CALL OF DUTY: GHOSTS (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)

04 (NE) XBO BATTLEFIELD 4 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)

05 (10) XBO CALL OF DUTY: GHOSTS (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)

06 (NE) XBO DEAD RISING 3 (MICROSOFT)

07 (02) PS3 CALL OF DUTY: GHOSTS (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)

08 (NE) 3DS THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: LINK BETWEEN WORLDS (NINTENDO)

09 (04) 360 FIFA 14 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)

10 (NE) XBO RYSE: SON OF ROME (MICROSOFT)

11 (03) 360 LEGO MARVEL SUPER HEROES (WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE)

12 (08) 360 MINECRAFT: XBOX 360 EDITION (MICROSOFT)

13 (NE) PS4 FIFA 14 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)

14 (NE) XBO ASSASSIN'S CREED IV: BLACK FLAG (UBISOFT)

15 (06) 360 ASSASSIN'S CREED IV: BLACK FLAG (UBISOFT)

16 (09) 360 GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE 2)

17 (NE) PS4 ASSASSIN'S CREED IV: BLACK FLAG (UBISOFT)

18 (07) 360 BATTLEFIELD 4 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)

19 (11) PS3 FIFA 14 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)

20 (05) PS3 LEGO MARVEL SUPER HEROES (WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE)

21 (13) PS3 GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE 2)

22 (12) PS3 ASSASSIN'S CREED IV: BLACK FLAG (UBISOFT)

23 (16) WII JUST DANCE 2014 (UBISOFT)

24 (14) 3DS PROFESSOR LAYTON AND THE AZRAN LEGACY (NINTENDO)

25 (15) PS3 BATTLEFIELD 4 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)

26 (19) 3DS POKÉMON X (NINTENDO)

27 (18) 3DS POKÉMON Y (NINTENDO)

28 (25) WII SKYLANDERS SWAP FORCE (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)

29 (22) 360 SKYLANDERS SWAP FORCE (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)

30 (17) PC FOOTBALL MANAGER 2014 (SEGA)

31 (24) 3DS ANIMAL CROSSING: NEW LEAF (NINTENDO)

32 (26) 360 TOMB RAIDER (SQUARE ENIX EUROPE)

33 (29) 360 HALO 4 (MICROSOFT)

34 (23) 360 BATMAN: ARKHAM ORIGINS (WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE)

35 (20) 360 WWE 2K14 (TAKE 2)

36 (34) PS4 CALL OF DUTY: GHOSTS (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)

37 (NE) XBO NEED FOR SPEED: RIVALS (ELECTRONIC ARTS)

38 (NE) PSV TEARAWAY (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)

39 (30) 360 DISNEY INFINITY (DISNEY INTERACTIVE STUDIOS)

40 (NE) 360 NEED FOR SPEED: RIVALS (ELECTRONIC ARTS)

As feared Tearaway was really sent out to die. A really bad time to relase that game sandwiched in between two next gen hardware releases as well as Zelda 3DS.

Five Xbone titles made the top 10. For reference the Wii U had xero titles crack the top 10 on release week.

Xbone NFS speed bombed but not so much a surprise when people already have there racing fix with Forza.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/xbox-one-sells-150k-units-in-first-week-in-uk/0124857

Microsoft’s Xbox One sold around 150k units in its first 48 hours in the UK, MCV understands.

Chart-Track this morning confirmed that Xbox One doubled the week one UK sales of its predecessor Xbox 360, which was launched worldwide in 2005.

Numbers released the week after Xbox 360’s launch showed that the console sold 70k in the UK in the same period, although MCV has since been informed that the Xbox One number is in fact slightly over double this.

Perhaps more tellingly this means that Xbox One is, according to the same source, now just a few thousand units short of beating the Wii U’s total UK sales accrued since its release a year ago this week.

Stock permitting Xbox One should shoot ahead of Nintendo’s machine this week. And a strong launch for PS4 this Friday could see Nintendo relegated to third place in the UK next-gen battle.

In the space of two weeks the PS4/Xbone would of outsold the Wii U in the UK. That is crazy considering the Wii U was launched 1 year ago. Shows just how much of a bomba the Wii U has been here. There is no way back.

Edited by liger05

The PS3 had a good launch week in the UK. It was afterwards where sales dried up. 165k first weekend was very very good considering the PSP holds the record crown with 185k.

As feared Tearaway was really sent out to die. A really bad time to relase that game sandwiched in between two next gen hardware releases as well as Zelda 3DS.

Five Xbone titles made the top 10. For reference the Wii U had xero titles crack the top 10 on release week.

Xbone NFS speed bombed but not so much a surprise when people already have there racing fix with Forza.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/xbox-one-sells-150k-units-in-first-week-in-uk/0124857

In the space of two weeks the PS4/Xbone would of outsold the Wii U in the UK. That is crazy considering the Wii U was launched 1 year ago. Shows just how much of a bomba the Wii U has been here. There is no way back.

That is absolutely appalling and shocking. How can Nintendo turn that around? I don't think they can, it's too late now. Developer and public opinion is cemented.

That's insane! The Wii U seriously doesn't have a hope in hell, does it?

I can't wait to see the PS4 numbers next week. It will be interesting to see if the demand still remains for both consoles in the run up and after Christmas.There were rumours of Gaf last week the Gamespot still had 2 million preorders that needed fulfilling!

That is absolutely appalling and shocking. How can Nintendo turn that around? I don't think they can, it's too late now. Developer and public opinion is cemented.

Its dead here. Mario, MK, or SSB wont change that.

There were rumours of Gaf last week the Gamespot still had 2 million preorders that needed fulfilling!

Not so accurate as it wasnt taking into account that people may of pre-ordered but then picked up the console elsewhere.

Its dead here. Mario, MK, or SSB wont change that.

Not so accurate as it wasnt taking into account that people may of pre-ordered but then picked up the console elsewhere.

Ah, I see. Still, 2 million peeps aren't gonna preorder and buy elsewhere so there still must be a substantial number of preorders left to fulfill.

Ah, I see. Still, 2 million peeps aren't gonna preorder and buy elsewhere so there still must be a substantial number of preorders left to fulfill.

No doubt. It will be interesting to see just how quick Sony can get consoles on the shelves.

Back to this weeks charts.

I forget ACIV was released on Wii U. Didnt even chart in the top 40

Edited by liger05

I thought the new consoles were gonna do similar numbers to Wii U launch.

Thought consumers wouldn't pay the £350+ etc etc.

This is what some people in here were saying after Wii U bombed.

Wii U is dead in the UK! No point living in denial.

There were also such classics as " It's the Economy", " It's the wrong time of year", "The UK market is dead" and so on.

I thought the new consoles were gonna do similar numbers to Wii U launch.

Thought consumers wouldn't pay the £350+ etc etc.

This is what some people in here were saying after Wii U bombed.

Wii U is dead in the UK! No point living in denial.

I don't think the Wii U is dead yet, I want to see what Mario 3D world does first along with the marketing push before I would fully declare it over. And then there's Mario Kart too.

But yeah, i never subscribed to the idea that consumers would not buy the PS4 or Xbox One, and that those consoles would get sale numbers like the Wii U.

Edited by Helmsly

The Wii U in the UK is pretty much screwed, yeah. The UK has rarely embraced Nintendo consoles.

That's true. The wii was a blip however this time it's not just the UK. The US, Japan, France, Germany, Australia have all been lukewarm on the Wii U at best. The UK may be it's worst market but it's not as if other regions find the console appealing.

MS really took advantage of its year head start on the ps3 with the 360 but Nintendo completely blew it's 12 month headstart by releasing the wrong product.

That's true. The wii was a blip however this time it's not just the UK. The US, Japan, France, Germany, Australia have all been lukewarm on the Wii U at best. The UK may be it's worst market but it's not as if other regions find the console appealing.

MS really took advantage of its year head start on the ps3 with the 360 but Nintendo completely blew it's 12 month headstart by releasing the wrong product.

They didn't release the wrong product. They just messed up in portraying it.

The PS4 fully deserves its great sales. They did everything right; the spec, the price, the message. I'm sure I'll get one as soon as there are games that interest me.

Hard to believe just how much Nintendo botched the Wii U's launch! It's frankly quite worrying that they left the thing to die, practically without marketing for months, no liaising with supermarkets, not enough unique gamepad-centric experiences. Playing it so "safe" with titles like NSMBU etc and emphasising continuity with the Wii really backfired. I think Nintendo's conservatism will be their undoing.

Still, I'm hopeful that sales will improve as the software lineup gets going.

They didn't release the wrong product. They just messed up in portraying it.

Unfortunately, the idea that they released the wrong product holds my water than just saying it's the portrayal to the consumers. Nintendo have tried to clarify it's not a Wii, but a new console (not as strongly as they did with the 3DS) and the public still aren't interested.

The question to ask now is, what isn't the market wanting? Nintendo games? Synchronus gameplay with the gamepad? The dated graphical capabilities?

Unfortunately, the idea that they released the wrong product holds my water than just saying it's the portrayal to the consumers. Nintendo have tried to clarify it's not a Wii, but a new console (not as strongly as they did with the 3DS) and the public still aren't interested.

The question to ask now is, what isn't the market wanting? Nintendo games? Synchronus gameplay with the gamepad? The dated graphical capabilities?

I dont see how anyone can say power isnt an issue. When the Wii U was first failing we had people saying it had nothing to do with graphics, and people dont really care about graphics but that's BS.

Why would people be interested in a console which is barely more powerful than one they have been playing for a generation.

People want more powerful phones, tablets, camera's, tv's etc etc and have always wanted more powerful consoles when a generation comes to an end.

The pad doesnt help. People see it as a gimmick and I think people would prefer a standard controller.

Edited by liger05

I think it's a problem with the console's capabilities which ultimately affects its image. It's not considered to be a true 'next gen' console by many, or at least it is viewed as a separate category to the upcoming PS4 and Xbone. If people don't show an interest in the console - if that hype and excitement as seen with something like the PS4 isn't there, then the feeling reverberates. People don't want to develop for a console that isn't exciting, or generally perceived as exciting, or something that people want to buy.

Also many of the big multiformat titles people already have an interest in. It's just generally known that these will come to the Xbone/PS4, where there is already a fanbase, meaning that the console power required to run it will probably outmatch the Wii U.

I think it's a problem with the console's capabilities which ultimately affects its image. It's not considered to be a true 'next gen' console by many, or at least it is viewed as a separate category to the upcoming PS4 and Xbone. If people don't show an interest in the console - if that hype and excitement as seen with something like the PS4 isn't there, then the feeling reverberates. People don't want to develop for a console that isn't exciting, or generally perceived as exciting, or something that people want to buy.

Also many of the big multiformat titles people already have an interest in. It's just generally known that these will come to the Xbone/PS4, where there is already a fanbase, meaning that the console power required to run it will probably outmatch the Wii U.

I haven't seen anything on Wii U that's better looking than what's on PS3/360. Take Rayman Legends as an example, that was designed originally as a Wii U exclusive. When it went multi platform it didn't take any hit to make the port. Maybe they just used the previous Rayman engine and didn't fully push the Wii U.

The PS4 fully deserves its great sales. They did everything right; the spec, the price, the message. I'm sure I'll get one as soon as there are games that interest me.

That comment right there sums up the insanity of it all. "PS4 did everything right, except release any games of interest"

I read a great article recently that quoted "there is no point in purchasing a PS4 at launch, unless you are happy to pay £400 to play COD with shadows.

I was one of the people who thought that PS4 and Xbox1 would not do great numbers, and maybe they won't (you certainly can't make a judgement on a weekend of sales, the Wii U had a great launch afterall)but at this point I am baffled by the entire situation. If the PS4 has done record numbers with a mediocre set of launch games then I don't really understand why people are even buying consoles anymore.

What great games did Wii U launch with? You are criticising the PS4 for something just about all consoles suffer from at launch.

It has a bright future. That's what it's doing right.

I have a Wii U but a year later it still cannot be called a must have purchase.