N-Europe

General Gaming Sales/Charts Discussion

Cheers for the schooling, Ashley. Yeah, I'm getting Wii Play and Wii Party mixed up. Too many Wii ( insert mini game collection ) games out there. :)

So Wii Party did 8 million yet Wii Play Motion bombed. Were they both released in the same year and if so which one came first?

Mario & Sonic, while developed by Sega, is funded and published by Nintendo. Sonic Lost World is also being published by Nintendo, but doesn't really count

Sega published the Mario & Sonic games outside of Japan and are publishing Lost World in Japan and America.

Also, @Hero\-of\-Time, Wii Party worked with standard Wii Remotes.

Cheers for the schooling, Ashley. Yeah, I'm getting Wii Play and Wii Party mixed up. Too many Wii ( insert mini game collection ) games out there. :)

I almost made the same mistake myself :p

Tbh of all the people I know, I don't think I know anyone with Wii Party ::shrug:

Ah, of course. I remember now. It came as a separate game and also as a bundle with the wiimote. Wii Play Motion just came as a bundle due to it need motion+ to play it.

I almost made the same mistake myself :p

Tbh of all the people I know, I don't think I know anyone with Wii Party ::shrug:

Yeah, I bought both Play games but I never bothered with Party at all, nor did any of my mates. Of course they gave up on the Wii during the twilight years so it was no surprise they didn't buy it.

Sega published the Mario & Sonic games outside of Japan and are publishing Lost World in Japan and America.

Well Nintendo lists it in their first party games so I count it

BMlY7r5CUAEUTM6.jpg:large

Looking at that list there are a couple I would buy when they went cheap (or I guess if they went cheap considering how annoying Nintendo are with keeping their games full price) but nothing I would buy straight away. Certainly nothing that excites me.

I can see why people are disappointed as a lot of the offerings are just tried and tested formulas. I know most my mates have now moved on from gaming on Nintendo machines ( i'm probably the last man standing ) and nothing on the list excites them at all. Although one of them is looking forward to the new Smash Bros. but that's not till next year.

I can see why people are disappointed as a lot of the offerings are just tried and tested formulas. I know most my mates have now moved on from gaming on Nintendo machines ( i'm probably the last man standing ) and nothing on the list excites them at all. Although one of them is looking forward to the new Smash Bros. but that's not till next year.

It would be nice if Smash Bros could get back the enjoyment I had when playing Melee, I would consider getting the 3DS version then but for some reason Brawl just didnt click with me which has left me a bit "meh" on any future games.

Edited by Happenstance

I would be nice if Smash Bros could get back the enjoyment I had when playing Melee, I would consider getting the 3DS version then but for some reason Brawl just didnt click with me which has left me a bit "meh" on any future games.

Yeah, it was the same for me and my mates. We played the hell out of Melee and always had tournaments every Friday night. I also unlocked every trophy in the game, which took an age.

When Brawl came out it just wasn't the same but I attribute this to us being slightly older and not being able to get to together as much. It didn't help matters that the online was a mess, so we couldn't hook up that way either.

It wasn't just the multiplayer mode either. I never did finish the single player story mode, even though I though the cutscenes were fantastic.

Despite all of this I cannot wait to get my hands on the Wii U version. MEGAMAN FTW!

I think it's about balancing franchises that historically sell well and creating fresh ones. Sony this year, is the perfect example; The Last of Us, Beyond, Puppeteer (which the kind of perfect little idea I once expected from Nintendo) and Knack as well as dependable franchises like Killzone, God of War Ascension, Infamous, GT6 and Ratchet & Clank. Even Microsoft have done this, though to a lesser (and my opinion less successful) effect.

When it comes down to it, that gulf in quantity is pretty staggering. Especially when you consider that Sony can happily depend on third parties and Nintendo quite clearly cannot. More than anyone, it should be Nintendo that is churning out these games.

I think Nintendo can easily be criticised in terms of how unvaried and risk averse their release list is. I also think they can be easily criticised for not investing their war chest properly and growing as a company. If this was the late 90s, this release list would be acceptable. It feels like Nintendo are living in another time. They have barely globalised, and that is ABSURD. As far as I'm aware, they don't have a global submission process for games. (I don't only have criticisms for Nintendo, Microsoft's US-centric approach to the industry is...utterly nauseating, but sadly they can get away with it...for now.)

Edited by Daft

I'm not sure the release list from nintendo can be criticised too much. They need to get the Wii U sales up and that means releasing those franchises that have a history of selling well.

I'm with Daft on this. They're being too reliant on what sells well, without enough new innovation. They need both, cater to everyone.

Here's a crazy though I had yesterday - what if they didn't try to sell Pikmin 3. i.e. not relying on it to bring in money(which I believe they are, thinking 'it'll sell, we'll make money) - why not instead of Nintendoland bundles and stuff, they put Pikmin 3 in there. You buy the Wii U, you get Pikmin 3 with it. I'm sure I know at least one or two people who would get roped in by a bundle like that.

I think it's about balancing franchises that historically sell well and creating fresh ones. Sony this year, is the perfect example; The Last of Us, Beyond, Puppeteer (which the kind of perfect little idea I once expected from Nintendo) and Knack as well as dependable franchises like Killzone, God of War Ascension, Infamous, GT6 and Ratchet & Clank. Even Microsoft have done this, though to a lesser (and my opinion less successful) effect.

When it comes down to it, that gulf in quantity is pretty staggering. Especially when you consider that Sony can happily depend on third parties and Nintendo quite clearly cannot. More than anyone, it should be Nintendo that is churning out these games.

I think Nintendo can easily be criticised in terms of how unvaried and risk averse their release list is. I also think they can be easily criticised for not investing their war chest properly and growing as a company. If this was the late 90s, this release list would be acceptable. It feels like Nintendo are living in another time. They have barely globalised, and that is ABSURD. As far as I'm aware, they don't have a global submission process for games. (I don't only have criticisms for Nintendo, Microsoft's US-centric approach to the industry is...utterly nauseating, but sadly they can get away with it...for now.)

I dont dispute that and would hope there is other 1st party stuff on the horizon however for now the risk would be too high and in a sense sending games out to die.

They are in a major hole with the Wii U and the only way the install base is going to get up is to get games out that have a chance of selling systems.

Going forward there needs to be a real change from within as this bubble which nintendo operate in is the problem. Ignoring market trends and a refual to produce a more diverse broad range of software cant go on forever.

I look at this generation as one which lasted too long and by the time the Wii U was released the market was ripe for a new console. Its just nintendo produced the wrong console to take advantage of that.

Edited by liger05

But you're implying (I think) that this is them reacting to the situation; their strategy has been terrible for years and they are pretty much reaping what they sowed. Nintendo's problems won't be fixed any time soon, it takes a lot of time between implementation and real world effect - and at the moment we don't even know if they're trying to implement change at all or if they are simply delusional.

UK charts: The Last of Us holds first for 5th week running

The Last of Us has held firm at top of the UK charts for a fifth consecutive week, marking another strong week for Naughty Dog’s tale of post apocalyptic survival.

the_last_of_us.jpg

The game retained its position despite challenges from 3DS entries Animal Crossing: New Leaf and newcomer Mario & Luigi: Dream Team Bros, which debuted at third.

Here’s the chart in full:

1: The Last of Us – Sony

2: Animal Crossing: New Leaf – Nintendo

3. Mario & Luigi: Dream Team Bros – Nintendo

4. FIFA 13 – EA

5. Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition – Microsoft

6. Far Cry 3 – Ubisoft

7. Call of Duty: Black Ops II – Activision

8. Assassin’s Creed III – Ubisoft

9. Tomb Raider – Square Enix

10. Aliens: Colonial Marines – Sega

11. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim – Legendary – Bethesda Softworks

12. LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes – Warner Bros

13. Need for Speed: Most Wanted – EA

14. Luigi’s Mansion 2 – Nintendo

15. The Sims 3: Island Paradise

16. Deadpool – Activision

17. Grand Theft Auto IV – Rockstar

18. God of War: Ascension – Sony

19. Injustice: Gods Among Us – Warner Bros

20: LEGO: The Lord of the Rings – Warner Bros

Going strong! Very impressive. Especially for an exclusive.

Preliminary sales for last week in Japan have come through Tsutaya. We'll see exact figures on Wednesday

Pikmin 3 is sitting at #1 with at least 100,000 sold in just two days. New Super Luigi U retail is at #7 with the same.

No idea about the console, seeing as the White Premium Set was also released that day. The rebound begins though

Edited by Serebii

Preliminary sales for last week in Japan have come through Tsutaya. We'll see exact stuff on Wednesday

Pikmin 3 is sitting at #1 with at least 100,000 sold in just two days. New Super Luigi U is at #7 with the same.

No idea about the console, seeing as the White Premium Set was also released that day. The rebound begins though

Possibly.

We need to see if Nintendo still has any console pulling power when it comes to the west. In terms of the UK they are really going to have to do something special to get people on board.

Possibly.

We need to see if Nintendo still has any console pulling power when it comes to the west. In terms of the UK they are really going to have to do something special to get people on board.

I just hope they actually do stuff with the shifted marketing budget, as that's part of the reason nobody knows about it here

I just hope they actually do stuff with the shifted marketing budget, as that's part of the reason nobody knows about it here

It's going to be an interesting period that's for sure. From now until Christmas we have a pretty big release every month and if that doesn't help the Wii U sales pick up then I don't know what will. I'm still expecting a price cut to happen once the new consoles arrive and to tie in with the new Wii U software. Even a new Mario bundle or something.