NEurope
Fierce_LiNk

Weight Loss and Fitness 2013

You'll make more better progress once you eat a bit more and start gaining weight. Weight gain in itself will make you stronger, while the extra calories and protein will help with recovery between workouts.

I'm not sure you need a specific eating plan. I would have thought eating a bigger than usual breakfast, and adding a post workout shake/meal would be sufficient to create a calorie surplus and start making decent gains.

As you say progress will be slow, not just with your exercises but gaining weight itself actually takes more time than most people think. Some overweight people I know act like they got fat over night, they didn't.

This is why keeping a log is critical, if you can just show yourself that you managed one extra rep than last time, or have gained just a single pound a lean body mass since the last time you examined youself, then you can take heart that you are on the right track. You'll have a visual record of your progress.

I'm not sure why you might be feeling sleepy and dizzy though, I think it might be helpful for people to see your rountine.

Ok I do about 30 minutes of constant exercises per day over a period of an hour. I'll post up the details later. I create a new notepad document every day and take a break 2 a week.

ya the breakfast i'm trying to work on. I never used to have it at all in the past. i think I'm starting to show improvement. i have 2 eggs in the morning and 2 yoghurts. i would struggle to eat anymore. Do you think that's enough?

I was never in terrible shape per say. I'm just small is all.

thanks for the help though.

suppose I should point out that I'm China as well so i'm limited at times with what i can buy.

Ok I do about 30 minutes of constant exercises per day over a period of an hour. I'll post up the details later. I create a new notepad document every day and take a break 2 a week.

ya the breakfast i'm trying to work on. I never used to have it at all in the past. i think I'm starting to show improvement. i have 2 eggs in the morning and 2 yoghurts. i would struggle to eat anymore. Do you think that's enough?

I was never in terrible shape per say. I'm just small is all.

thanks for the help though.

suppose I should point out that I'm China as well so i'm limited at times with what i can buy.

Try using MyFitnessPal to log what you are eating. It gives you a calorie goal depending on what you want to achieve. It has loads of brands built into it so you can type in exactly what you eat and it will track the calories.

I wouldn't recommend eating loads of your favourite foods to increase your weight unless they are healthy foods. Eat a healthy diet above maintenance and you will put on weight. If you're lifting weights it will come as muscle.

I personally don't eat breakfast during the week and get all my calories from about 12:30 onwards.

Went to the nearest Fitness First earlier and it was okay. Bit smaller than I'd like, but apparently at 7am (when I'd be going) it's quiet. 12 month contract though and I suck at commitments.

Although part of me wants to join a gym closer to work so that I could go during lunch... But I change jobs (or working schedule) so bloody often.

What exactly did you in the gym for 4-5 hours?

Sorry, totally forgot to come back the next day but anyway, here is my shit...

• Warm up
  • Elliptical trainer- 60 minutes (Highest Level which, on my machine, is 25)
  • Free Rowing- 60 minutes
  • The Hunger Games Challenge (something I've named it, look in the spoiler...)
  • Treadmill- 30 minutes (just walking and then a light jog in the last minute)
  • Diverging Lat Pulldown- 100lb (4 sets of 10)
  • Back Extension- 200lb (4 sets of 10)
  • Abdominal Crunch- 80lb (5 sets of 10)
  • Triceps Extension- 100lb (5 sets of 10)
  • Arm Curls- 80lb (4 sets of 10)
  • Converging shoulder press- 90lb (4 sets of 10)
  • Converging chest press- 90lb (4 sets of 10)
  • Leg press- 115lb (5 sets of 10)
  • Warm down

• Kettlebell swings- 16kg- (100 reps)
  • 10 sprints (probably about 20 steps in front of you and back again)
  • 100 step ups (just stepping up and down on a block)
  • 10 press-ups
  • Kettlebell swings- 16kg- (90 reps)
  • 9 sprints
  • 90 step ups
  • 9 press-ups
  • Kettlebell swings- 16kg- (80 reps)
  • 8 sprints
  • 80 step ups
  • 8 press-ups
  • Kettlebell swings- 16kg- (70 reps)
  • 7 sprints
  • 70 step ups
  • 7 press-ups
  • Kettlebell swings- 16kg- (60 reps)
  • 6 sprints
  • 60 step ups
  • 6 press-ups
  • Kettlebell swings- 16kg- (50 reps)
  • 5 sprints
  • 50 step ups
  • 5 press-ups
  • Kettlebell swings- 16kg- (40 reps)
  • 4 sprints
  • 40 step ups
  • 4 press-ups
  • Kettlebell swings- 16kg- (30 reps)
  • 3 sprints
  • 30 step ups
  • 3 press-ups
  • Kettlebell swings- 16kg- (20 reps)
  • 2 sprints
  • 20 step ups
  • 2 press-ups
  • Kettlebell swings- 16kg- (10 reps)
  • 1 sprint
  • 10 step ups
  • 1 press-up

On top of my gym shit, I normally also go on the Wii and play the Just Dance games, which I would seriously recommend if you are trying to lose weight but you want some fun doing it! It's truly an amazing fat burner!

Strained my left quad last night at the gym whilst squatting. Felt it get sore towards the end of my second working set and powered through to the end of the set as I thought it was just a 'normal' pain. Tested it before starting the 3rd set and coudl barely get into the position without a barbell on my back.

Don't think its too bad a strain fortunately so hopefully won't be out for too long. Can carry on doing everything other than leg work too pretty much.

Went to the nearest Fitness First earlier and it was okay. Bit smaller than I'd like, but apparently at 7am (when I'd be going) it's quiet. 12 month contract though and I suck at commitments.

Although part of me wants to join a gym closer to work so that I could go during lunch... But I change jobs (or working schedule) so bloody often.

Was considering this until I looked at the gym at work and now they're charging £16! That's tempting, even if less practical. I hate making decisions.

So after basically eating and drinking excessively for the past three weeks due to a certain slag ending it with me im gunna start again to look after myself.

Alarm set for tomorrow to go for a run. Im looking forward to it.

Sorry, totally forgot to come back the next day but anyway, here is my shit...

• Warm up
  • Elliptical trainer- 60 minutes (Highest Level which, on my machine, is 25)
  • Free Rowing- 60 minutes
  • The Hunger Games Challenge (something I've named it, look in the spoiler...)
  • Treadmill- 30 minutes (just walking and then a light jog in the last minute)
  • Diverging Lat Pulldown- 100lb (4 sets of 10)
  • Back Extension- 200lb (4 sets of 10)
  • Abdominal Crunch- 80lb (5 sets of 10)
  • Triceps Extension- 100lb (5 sets of 10)
  • Arm Curls- 80lb (4 sets of 10)
  • Converging shoulder press- 90lb (4 sets of 10)
  • Converging chest press- 90lb (4 sets of 10)
  • Leg press- 115lb (5 sets of 10)
  • Warm down

• Kettlebell swings- 16kg- (100 reps)
  • 10 sprints (probably about 20 steps in front of you and back again)
  • 100 step ups (just stepping up and down on a block)
  • 10 press-ups
  • Kettlebell swings- 16kg- (90 reps)
  • 9 sprints
  • 90 step ups
  • 9 press-ups
  • Kettlebell swings- 16kg- (80 reps)
  • 8 sprints
  • 80 step ups
  • 8 press-ups
  • Kettlebell swings- 16kg- (70 reps)
  • 7 sprints
  • 70 step ups
  • 7 press-ups
  • Kettlebell swings- 16kg- (60 reps)
  • 6 sprints
  • 60 step ups
  • 6 press-ups
  • Kettlebell swings- 16kg- (50 reps)
  • 5 sprints
  • 50 step ups
  • 5 press-ups
  • Kettlebell swings- 16kg- (40 reps)
  • 4 sprints
  • 40 step ups
  • 4 press-ups
  • Kettlebell swings- 16kg- (30 reps)
  • 3 sprints
  • 30 step ups
  • 3 press-ups
  • Kettlebell swings- 16kg- (20 reps)
  • 2 sprints
  • 20 step ups
  • 2 press-ups
  • Kettlebell swings- 16kg- (10 reps)
  • 1 sprint
  • 10 step ups
  • 1 press-up

On top of my gym shit, I normally also go on the Wii and play the Just Dance games, which I would seriously recommend if you are trying to lose weight but you want some fun doing it! It's truly an amazing fat burner!

:o You have too much time! How often do you do this?

---

Did a 70 kg bench press Thursday. Feeling it badly today! But oy, new PB!

:o You have too much time! How often do you do this?

---

Did a 70 kg bench press Thursday. Feeling it badly today! But oy, new PB!

On my days off so 3 times a week.

Went for another run this morning. Felt good afterwards.

Ive just started to use My Fitness Pal again. Hopefully I will see some progress

Strained my left quad last night at the gym whilst squatting. Felt it get sore towards the end of my second working set and powered through to the end of the set as I thought it was just a 'normal' pain. Tested it before starting the 3rd set and coudl barely get into the position without a barbell on my back.

Don't think its too bad a strain fortunately so hopefully won't be out for too long. Can carry on doing everything other than leg work too pretty much.

I think its better, was a strange one. Really sore for a while now fine now. Will test it out today with some light weights.

Running a half marathon on Sunday, but I've woken up with a sore throat today which is a sure sign of impending man flu. Hope it doesn't ruin my plans. :(

Been doing a lot of plyometrics lately and explosive lifts, personal favourites being box jumps and power cleans. Really noticing an improvement in my speed, especially initial acceleration. Also started to incorporate a little bit of Kettlebell work, only doing some swings at the moment but I quite like it, although the heaviest kettlebell my gym has is only 20kg.

I've been going to this class that one of my closest friends has set up and it SLAYS me (in a good way, obviously!). I've been doing it for nearly three weeks now and, on top of the workouts I already do, I can see quite a bit of difference. The scales go up and down but I can tell just from looking in the mirror that I've lost some weight and gained muscle. I'm feeling good at the moment! :)

Trying to look around for advice about bulking as a vegetarian and random internet dudes are mostly saying "just give up" (not to me as I'm not directly asking). Talk about useful! I know it won't be as successful as a meat diet but... Shut up.

I think I was making inroads earlier in the year when I was exercising more (as when I took two months off, I lost half a stone), but hopping around jobs/houses so much has disrupted that. Signing up for a gym next week though and going to be more serious about it!

Actually, I keep seeing you should eat before the gym but does it really matter? I like going first thing (around 6:30), and don't fancy getting up earlier just to eat. The intent is to gym, breakfast and grab a shake to take to the office.

Edited by Ashley

Actually, I keep seeing you should eat before the gym but does it really matter? I like going first thing (around 6:30), and don't fancy getting up earlier just to eat. The intent is to gym, breakfast and grab a shake to take to the office.

I find that I have much more energy if I've eaten before the gym. Caffeine can help but for me it's not a replacement.

Trying to look around for advice about bulking as a vegetarian and random internet dudes are mostly saying "just give up" (not to me as I'm not directly asking). Talk about useful! I know it won't be as successful as a meat diet but... Shut up.

Isn't the answer just eat more?

What to eat depends what kind of vegetarian you are? Do still consume dairy? Milk and whey protein will help with your protein and calorie needs. Some Vegetarians are cool with eating free-range eggs too, which will also help a lot.

If all that's a no go, just eat more, especially proteiny foods and snacks like nuts, seeds and hemp protein shakes. Dan John says peanut butter and jelly sandwiches on whole grain bread are a great supplementary bulking food (as many as 5 a day). There's soy too, though the jury still seems to be out on it. :hmm:

I think I was making inroads earlier in the year when I was exercising more (as when I took two months off, I lost half a stone), but hopping around jobs/houses so much has disrupted that. Signing up for a gym next week though and going to be more serious about it!

Quorrrrrrn. It's your friend. Do you eat eggs, milk and fish? If so, hit all of those. Daily. Pretty sure you'll be able to make good progress with all of that.

As for feeding time, it might be a mental thing, but I like to have eaten something beforehand and I find that I have more energy. Saying that, I've also lifted when coming home straight from work and then eating afterwards. Just make sure that you're eating what you should be eating and the right amount of it and it shouldn't matter too much.

Exercise has been going great, the cut has been working and I'm seeing a clear visible difference. However, it is now half-term and I've been places with Ine and been back to Wales. It's almost like the anti-cut...the mother in particular has been forcing food down me, making cakes, etc. It hasn't all gone to pot, but it hasn't helped. Dammit.

Exercise has been going great, the cut has been working and I'm seeing a clear visible difference. However, it is now half-term and I've been places with Ine and been back to Wales. It's almost like the anti-cut...the mother in particular has been forcing food down me, making cakes, etc. It hasn't all gone to pot, but it hasn't helped. Dammit.

Mothers, and especially grandmothers, are on a constant mission to fatten you up.

I find that I have much more energy if I've eaten before the gym. Caffeine can help but for me it's not a replacement.

The only caffeine I really drink is fizzy drinks (#child) and obviously not at that time in the morning. It's not that I lack energy, but rather whether its better for me on a nutritional or whatever level.

Isn't the answer just eat more?

What to eat depends what kind of vegetarian you are? Do still consume dairy? Milk and whey protein will help with your protein and calorie needs. Some Vegetarians are cool with eating free-range eggs too, which will also help a lot.

If all that's a no go, just eat more, especially proteiny foods and snacks like nuts, seeds and hemp protein shakes. Dan John says peanut butter and jelly sandwiches on whole grain bread are a great supplementary bulking food (as many as 5 a day). There's soy too, though the jury still seems to be out on it. :hmm:

Somewhat, but I want to do it sensibly and not just gorge myself.

I do eat dairy. I'm annoyingly fussy at times and the thought of a PB and Jelly sandwich just makes me wince :heh: But thanks for the suggestions!

Quorrrrrrn. It's your friend. Do you eat eggs, milk and fish? If so, hit all of those. Daily. Pretty sure you'll be able to make good progress with all of that.

As for feeding time, it might be a mental thing, but I like to have eaten something beforehand and I find that I have more energy. Saying that, I've also lifted when coming home straight from work and then eating afterwards. Just make sure that you're eating what you should be eating and the right amount of it and it shouldn't matter too much.

I do eat a lot of quorn (well, supermarket versions).

I do not eat fish because I'm a vegetarian :heh:

I have ideas about what to eat that I will type up at some point, but right now I need to go cook!

Mothers, and especially grandmothers, are on a constant mission to fatten you up.

And ply you with alcohol. I swear my maternal lineage wants me to be drunk and chubby.

If you have problems with controlling blood sugars, or are diabetic, you probably *need* to eat some kind of food before a workout, simply because exercise makes your blood sugars drop. Most people shouldn't have a problem. I have slightly erratic hypo tendancies because of drugs i'm on so I do really need something.

What about getting some oat bars or something like that for a preworkout? I eat mine as i'm walking into the door of the gym and it never affects me negatively. Jordans Frusli bars are my favourite :) And you can keep them in the cupboard and just take one on the go. Lots of natural ingredients, oats, raisins etc, and not too much bad stuff. :)

Good idea on the bars, although the main issue is I'd have just brushed my teeth sand eating after is gross :p