NEurope
heroicjanitor

Street Preachers

Although the girl that was with them was really hot so I wouldn't mind letting her inside me.

What? :p How exactly is she going to accomplish that?

Edit: Ohh wait I see, Jesus inside you etc. Ok makes sense, never had Jehovah's witnesses call around here. I do happen to think teaching children things that we know aren't true is child abuse so teaching most religions to kids is bad in my view.

Edit: Ohh wait I see, Jesus inside you etc. Ok makes sense,

It was either that or "let her in my life", but that didn't amuse me as much.

Wish i had non-pushy Jehovahs. The ones i've had knock on my door have not gone away after i've told them i'm not interested nicely, i've shut the door with them still standing there and they've been knocking the door trying to get my attention on occasions. It got bad enough, i called the police on them who told them to stop bothering me.

I don't think you get preachy Jehovah's witnesses here in Dublin at least. I've never seen one.

You're the one making that jump, nobody mentioned or even hinted that it was anything near akin to child abuse. We only said it was wrong, not the degree to which it is wrong. I think watching TOWIE is wrong, but I'm not going to say being a fan is a bad as being a rapist.
I think you're a bit sensitive because my post is after yours -- it was directed at the tone of Jimbob's, though not directly aimed at anyone. Everyone is making a jump everywhere, if it pleases you.

Regarding upbringing: Inevitably you're going to shape your children according to your world view. That's only natural; parents are supposed to teach their children about the world, and they can naturally only teach according to their own experiences. What's problematic in my opinion is if a certain world view is forced upon them with no rational discussion and the child isn't allowed to make his or her own life decisions (when old enough, of course). (Coincidentally I just read an article on this exact topic today.)

The only Jehovah's Witnesses I've been visited by have been impeccably polite. I had small talk with an elderly gentleman, and afterwards we both apologised to each other for taking each other's time. :heh: It was very pleasant, actually. :)

Yeah, that reminds me of them Jehovahs people. I see them walking around with their kids door to door preaching. I mean, that itself is wrong. I don't like to see people push a religeon onto someone forcefully. What if that kid wants to be Buddist or Jewish.

OMG this reminds me, when I was about...13, a lady and man come to our door. My dad made me answer it because he was in his dressing gown :( They started rambling about what I think of the state of the world and what I'll do when it ends (I guess I was supposed to say "prepare to go to heaven"). They left me with a crazy-ass booklet with freaky apocalyptic scenes, Sodom and Gomorrah got a feature too. Their motto was "Keep On The Watch" (for the end of the world?). It was completely bizarre.

I still have that booklet at home somewhere, I should scan it for fun.

Whilst walking through town I have recently noticed an increase in street preachers. They are getting louder and way more in your face about it and I have been thinking it is surely illegal... Does anyone else think that preachers with microphones are disturbing the peace? If I was to stand with a microphone shouting about some shit I like, like programming or something, then I would be asked to stop.

For example:

If I called the police on this guy would he be told to stop / punished for repeatedly offending?

Edit: Also yelling at people that they are going to hell if they don't do what he says is surely a threat? :/

I'm sure if he was preaching the opposite. Like "religion is a load of wank" then he would be "disturbing the piece"... especially under our new RIDICULOUS blasphemy laws.

There's some guy who haunts the centre of Manchester with hate preaching. Unfortunately, it's not illegal. I think you can either ask a nearby business or police officer to ask them to stop and (if they ask the person) they have to comply.

Why should it be illegal? You might not like what he has to say, and if you don't ignore it.

People should stop being pussies. If don't like something it doesn't mean it should be banned. Just deal with it.

No has the right not to be offended.

Oh and for the record, I am not religious in the slightest and think these people who clog up town centres with their paste tables and megaphones are fools no matter what they're screaming about!

Why should it be illegal? You might not like what he has to say, and if you don't ignore it.

People should stop being pussies. If don't like something it doesn't mean it should be banned. Just deal with it.

Oh and for the record, I am not religious in the slightest and think these people who clog up town centres with their paste tables and megaphones are fools no matter what they're screaming about!

I don't think it's so much that they're preaching religious teachings that people have a problem with (though that's different if they're shouting racist/homophobic things or generally telling people they're going to hell). More that they're doing it with a microphone. City centres usually have a nice atmosphere, they ruin it.

However I think without a microphone a preacher could easily contribute to the atmosphere.

It's not about not liking what he says or being a pussy, it's about him having a microphone so you can't ignore it. It disturbs the peace. There is a right to free speech but there is not a right to scream speech at passersby who otherwise don't want to listen.

If they were reading stories from the Bible, fine.

But constantly going about the end of the world, our sins and how we're all going to hell should not be acceptable.

If they were reading stories from the Bible, fine.

But constantly going about the end of the world, our sins and how we're all going to hell should not be acceptable.

If some mad individual wants to spend their Saturday afternoon barking about the end of the world it doesn't mean it's going to happen. I think you need to man-up a bit and just sneer at them with the contempt they deserve.

Also good advice for dealing with Nintendo fanboys.

Edited by Magnus