NEurope
bob

Tipping in USA?

Right, I had no idea that "tipping" was this extreme in America. What a joke.

What shocks me is that these members of staff are getting paid below minimum wage. So, these American customers feel that they have to tip in order to make up the difference. What is really shocking is that rather than anybody changing this culture and forcing these Restaurant owners to pay their staff more, people are just "buying into" and accepting this tipping culture instead. In fact, it seems to have become perfectly normal.

It's stupid. I know that every country can have their own traditions and so forth, but this is completely wrong. If I go out with a friend for a meal, no matter where it is, I should be able to sit down, enjoy the meal, pay the price and leave. Being chased out of an establishment for not tipping/tipping well is horrible. :hmm:

I know that every country can have their own traditions and so forth

Nothing wrong with criticising traditions you don't agree with.

Damn, if you guys think $1/drink is too much then there's a huge difference between tipping here in NA and where you're all at.

Found a link that actually agrees with me :laughing: :

http://www.wikihow.com/Tip-a-Bartender-Properly

Item 3

And another link that a friend who worked as a server for almost 10 years posted:

http://beingbostonian.com/2012/03/02/youre-an-adult-learn-how-to-tip/

Edited by FalcoLombardi

That article has so much bullshit it hurts.

"There is never a good excuse for not tipping a server. Rude service may deserve a lower tip"

THE FUCK?!

I think Grazza's point is the best made, and changed my mind. It's very rude to go to another culture and force your own on them. If it is part of how they pay their employees then you're probably a dick for not tipping. Especially when the prices are lower due to tips.

That article has so much bullshit it hurts.

"There is never a good excuse for not tipping a server. Rude service may deserve a lower tip"

THE FUCK?!

These are my two favourite parts.

If you tip poorly, servers will remember. And we’ll talk about you.

Unfortunately, we aren’t able to refuse your cheap ass service if you come back, but your service is going to suck and we’re going to make sure everyone knows.

We have to give you the same exact service no matter what it costs to you, otherwise we get fired.

And another link that a friend who worked as a server for almost 10 years posted:

http://beingbostonian.com/2012/03/02/youre-an-adult-learn-how-to-tip/

I'd just like to point out a few things.

"If you were to leave a 10% tip, that’s only $2-3."

"but you took an hour of the servers time, holding up a table"

"In that hour, the server made $2.63 (in Massachusetts), doing a shit ton of other things besides taking care of you"

"Remember, ”your” server is also taking care of a number of other tables"

So let's get this straight, you give a server $3, for an hour of their time, on top of their existing $2.63 wage, and let's not forget that fact that they're (as the article mentions) serving other tables (at least 4 during a reasonably busy time). So all in, they've made around $17-18 during that hour. And I'm expected to believe that a 10% tip is being cheap? That's fucking bullshit. Most college graduates don't earn anywhere near $18 an hour, certainly not for a few years. And according to your friends advice we should be giving them around $30 an hour, for doing their job.

Excuse me for not buying into your complete and utter bullshit.

Oh and, "this is the way things are done here" is not an excuse for idiocy.

I think Grazza's point is the best made, and changed my mind. It's very rude to go to another culture and force your own on them.

We're not forcing our own on them, we're just resisting theirs on us. Kinda.

If it is part of how they pay their employees then you're probably a dick for not tipping.

Yes, it's my fault the employers can't be bothered to pay them legal wage.

Today I made £27 in tips from 6 hours work but the best thing was the comments I got from customers. I was covering 3 sections as well as running food to others while the rest of the staff were slightly slacking tbh; a customer on one of my tables actually asked if I was the only one working lol. When I left, I let them know someone else would be looking after them for the rest of their meal and they stopped me to give me a tip.

I treat customers the same even if I know they're not going to tip. There's a lot of pressure on us to always deliver the best service possible, we have brand standards to keep up with and mystery shoppers who know the service steps we need to cover (though we know they come every 3 weeks so we know when to be extra good :p).

It's good for customers but it's a lot of pressure on us when you serve hundreds of people per day which is why people tip in the first place I guess. If we're serving so many people and manage to make that one table feel like they're getting complete attention, they will tip.

The downside is when something goes wrong we have to smile like a mug and offer them free stuff - although by dealing with problems well we could still get a decent tip even if we end up having to refund their bill or whatever.

Although I'd probably feel quite different if I was being underpaid and tips were more of a source of income for me than they are right now.

How much roughly would you have made if you were getting a 15% tip on every table you served?

Ridiculous amounts of money, like over £100 probably.

We don't keep all of our tips where I work, some of it is distributed to the kitchen staff and the cleaners - but obviously the waiting staff keep most of it.

I'd just like to point out a few things.

"If you were to leave a 10% tip, that’s only $2-3."

"but you took an hour of the servers time, holding up a table"

"In that hour, the server made $2.63 (in Massachusetts), doing a shit ton of other things besides taking care of you"

"Remember, ”your” server is also taking care of a number of other tables"

So let's get this straight, you give a server $3, for an hour of their time, on top of their existing $2.63 wage, and let's not forget that fact that they're (as the article mentions) serving other tables (at least 4 during a reasonably busy time). So all in, they've made around $17-18 during that hour. And I'm expected to believe that a 10% tip is being cheap? That's fucking bullshit. Most college graduates don't earn anywhere near $18 an hour, certainly not for a few years. And according to your friends advice we should be giving them around $30 an hour, for doing their job.

Excuse me for not buying into your complete and utter bullshit.

Look, I know that the tips here are ridiculous. But this topic is about how to tip in the USA. If you don't like it then get the hell out of the thread -- I'm speaking the truth. What I say is a fact and if you don't like it, then you can just leave the thread and shut your ignorant face. When I travel to new places I research what the custom is and do it. I don't write anonymous paragraphs on how that culture should do it. Grow up.

"Oh, vegetarians don't eat beef? Let me shove this steak in their face and tell them how delicious it is."

Oh and, "this is the way things are done here" is not an excuse for idiocy.

Sorry, that's the culture. See above.

"Oh, Afghanistan doesn't allow liquor?! Well I'll just bring in some Jack Daniels."

Yeah, great logic you've got there Moogle.

Edited by FalcoLombardi

So you've never disagreed with another culture? You've never looked at the way women are treated in countries like Pakistan and thought it was wrong? Or do you look at a women being stoned to death after being raped and thought, "well if that's there culture"?

Yes, tipping is your culture, but that doesn't mean I have to agree with it.

And how does the vegetarian comment stand up? Vegetarians aren't impacting on my life. If there was a country that enforced vegetarianism, then I would disagree with it. I'm not saying that I wouldn't abide by it if I visited their, just as if I visited the USA then I would probably abide by tipping, but I still wouldn't agree with it.

And the difference is that this isn't mandatory or law. Can you honestly tell me that all Americans agree with this custom? Do they all abide by these "rules" that you've presented us with?

So you've never disagreed with another culture? You've never looked at the way women are treated in countries like Pakistan and thought it was wrong? Or do you look at a women being stoned to death after being raped and thought, "well if that's there culture"?

You know, it really doesn't help your argument if you go to an extreme example that brings a whole new set of issues altogether... We're talking about everyday customs, here.

I don't agree with the US's tipping culture anymore than you do, but come on...

I think you may be arguing past each other. I don't think anybody here thinks the tipping culture of the US is good - the question here is whether we should abide by it anyway. The argument FOR tipping is that that is how things work over here; if we choose not to tip, we're seen as rude and may be screwing the workers over depending on the particular numbers involved. The argument AGAINST tipping is that we disagree with their tipping culture and want to demonstrate that since dissatisfaction needs to be expressed if change is desired.

I'm off to Florida in 3 days. If I don't return, it's because I kept all the tips to buy the last round.