NEurope
lostmario

Buying an SD Card Thread.

I think it's to do with the properties of the newer cards?

I don't know what exactly this issue is but I have it with a couple of cards I bought off Play.com last year... the memory card slot in my printer wont read them like it did the previous cards.

I can solve it by plugging my camera directly into the PC and getting the photo's/video's off it that way, so I haven't researched it further...

but for the 3DS I'm not sure what else can be done other than buying a newer reader maybe?

Yeah, your reader needs to support sdhc cards. You try plugging it into a camera or a printer or something. A USB reader will probably work, they are pretty cheap.

It is possible that your brother's laptop doesn't support SD cards bigger than 2GB. Get a cheap reader from eBay, they work just fine :D Oh, make sure it's SDHC compatible cause that's what the new types of SD cards are called.

Tried the SD card last night after mario kart, didn't work. Just kept saying it wasn't formatted but I was unable to format it. Kept crashing my PC everytime I tried to.

Took it to work with me to see if the IT Department could get it formatted, same story.

Popped into Jessops on way home from work, again... same story.

Will be sent back tomorrow, full refund. Not bothering with a replacement.

Tried the SD card last night after mario kart, didn't work. Just kept saying it wasn't formatted but I was unable to format it. Kept crashing my PC everytime I tried to.

Took it to work with me to see if the IT Department could get it formatted, same story.

Popped into Jessops on way home from work, again... same story.

Will be sent back tomorrow, full refund. Not bothering with a replacement.

Is that the 32GB Sandisk Ultra card mentioned previously in this topic?

Wow that sucks. You must have been unlucky and got a defective one. Mine is still going strong.

Yeah you just turn off your 3DS, take out the SD card, put it into your computer, copy everything to the computer, put your new SD card into the computer, copy everything from the computer to the new SD card, pop the new SD card into the 3DS and turn it back on and everything will be there.

i did that , but all my save files were missing and letter box letters :*(

Hmmmm is that so? They've gotta be on the old SD card somewhere... If you have a Windows computer then turn on hidden file display. If you open up the SD card folder then press the Alt key on your keyboard, click on Tools > Folder Options... then click on the View tab, click on the circle next to "Show hidden files, folders and drives" then click OK to save the settings and see if anything is on your old SD card.

If you do find anything great, just copy it over to the new one. Once you've done that or if you don't find anything then it might be best if you change the settings back to hide the hidden files.

My 32g £15 hobby from my memory came and trasnferred everything over. Perfect! Loads of space now for all my digital downloads. Physical media IS OVER!!!

Is that the 32GB Sandisk Ultra card mentioned previously in this topic?

Yeah. Jessops had it for £70 by the way.

Damn I hope mine isn't dodgy too. I bought a cheap SD card reader off Amazon, hopefully that will be able to read it.

i did that , but all my save files were missing and letter box letters :*(

You should have 2 folders on your SD card. DCIM and Nintendo 3DS. Copy both of these folders to your computer (I made a folder on my desktop called 3ds and copied both into there). Next copy the 2 folders from the desktop to the root of your new SD card.

That's it, everything should be transferred over, saves, letters, even the videos in Nintendo Video.

The SD card should be formatted to FAT32 as well, someone recommended using this formatter tool instead of Windows built in one.

So,....I need a bigger SD-Card for my 3DS now that I have a downloadcode for Fire Emblem: Awakening.

Any suggestions?

Just get a well known brand (Sandisk, etc), you'll be better off with a high speed card so class 10 would be best. Cheap cards have higehr chance of failing. The SD card I suggested earlier in this thread will work fine, or look for something similar. No reason not to get a 32GB card, the price different is negligible.

So I downloaded MH3 and first off the game just failed to load. Was worried by the tiny amount of space I had left but wiped the file and downloaded it again. The whole thing is very jerky. I think either my SD card is on it's way out or is just of poor quality/speed. Thoughts?

Also what do people think of Kingston for as cards? Any other 32gb suggestions?

Kingston and Sandisk make the best SD cards. I recommend getting a class 10 card so you get the fastest load times in your games especially in something like Monster Hunter where you'll be going through multiple areas. Someone posted a link to this SD card which is the best for its price and speed http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007PYBOZ4/

If you use Flubit you can reduce the price even further :D

Ahh, not filling me with confidence for my cheapo 8gb kingston class 4, Jamba! Might see if my dad has some better camera ones and sneakily swap them round when it arrives...

@f00had - You sir are an absolute genius. That SD card is the BOMB and Monster Hunter loads is about 5 seconds now as opposed to 30. The music is working a treat and I can actually watch the FMV.

I swear it's been bottlenecking a whole bunch of other stuff as well such as the download speed and my interface is much zippier now. Looking forward to having an entirely digital catalogue :-)

Would like to combine my 3DS stuff onto one SD card, instead of sharing it with my Wii downloads. Is there anything to be aware about with compatibility (remember the Wii wasn't compatible with all SD cards to begin with) or can I just go ahead and order the first 32GB Sandisk or Kingston - @f00had approved brands - SD card I come across on Amazon?

Any SD card will be fine, the 3DS supports up to 32gb SD cards. I recommend getting a class 10 card so your games will load and save data at max speed :)