NEurope
Cube

Red Dwarf

Also I'm really enjoying the much closer relationship of the characters this Series. They're having much more of a laugh together (it's been in all the episodes but an example from Episode 3 was the way Lister reacted to Rimmer suggesting they put him in the 'shower', and when Lister and Rimmer were joking around getting Kryton to clean the cockpit). You got the sense of Rimmer and Lister becoming closer in the later series, like when Lister had the chat with Rimmer about becoming Ace etc... but I'm liking the continued warmness of Series X, like I've all been through so much together, they're much more like a family unit now.

Good point. I could never relate to the animosity between Lister and Rimmer. Although I could see the humour and pathos of Lister being stuck with the one person he didn't get on with, I preferred it when there was a spirit of camaraderie. Actually, in that episode from Series V I watched the other day, Lister is the first one to decide they're going in to rescue Rimmer immediately. I thought that was honourable!

Another decent episode!

Is it just me, or sometimes do the episodes feel a bit cut together... almost like you've just missed a scene?

There were two instances of this for me yesterday...

- When Lister coms back in from space and says he's lost Rimmer in the poker game, only for then the next scene to have Rimmer in it... I'd presummed Rimmer had gone with him.

- When the alien dudes choke on whatever (was that even explained?), and then Listers says to Kryton and Cat 'so you two are connected somehow?'... 'so you killed them?'... I didn't really understand why he's come to that conclusion.

Just seems a bit edited a times.

It felt a little "edited", but i suppose the unedited versions could be on the Bluray/DVD copies out in November. As for Lister losing Rimmer, it was explained with the groinel device that they intended to claim Rimmer (my guessing he never went as he didn't know he was gambled).

The alien dude scene certainly was edited, but Lister should have cut the losses. I mean on a whole spaceship, there is only 1 Starbug and 1 Blue Midget. Series 8 had many craft, Series 3 used 2 Starbugs in 1 episode.

So, so many gaps and holes in the series.

Another decent episode!

Is it just me, or sometimes do the episodes feel a bit cut together... almost like you've just missed a scene?

There were two instances of this for me yesterday...

- When Lister coms back in from space and says he's lost Rimmer in the poker game, only for then the next scene to have Rimmer in it... I'd presummed Rimmer had gone with him.

- When the alien dudes choke on whatever (was that even explained?), and then Listers says to Kryton and Cat 'so you two are connected somehow?'... 'so you killed them?'... I didn't really understand why he's come to that conclusion.

Just seems a bit edited a times.

I thought the same about the Rimmer issue but then it was made sense of when Lister was apologising to him with Rimmer thinking he was talking about the air lock. All it would have taken was for Lister to have a throw away line like "Suppose I should him the news, he's gonna kill me.....smeg" in amongst his initial conversation with Kryten after he returned.

The second one sure was a leap of logic I'd have to rewatch it to see how it actually played out.

Glad it's not just me.

As for Lister losing Rimmer, it was explained with the groinel device that they intended to claim Rimmer (my guessing he never went as he didn't know he was gambled).
Oh yeah no I understood what had actually happened when in the next scene I saw Rimmer was still on Red Dwarf, but it's just in Listers initial scene with Kryton it had sounded like Rimmer had gone along too and that he wouldn't be back for 24hrs (not helped by the two of them having been together in the previous scene in the cockpit). Was just a bit poorly constructed.
All it would have taken was for Lister to have a throw away line like "Suppose I should him the news, he's gonna kill me.....smeg" in amongst his initial conversation with Kryten after he returned.

The second one sure was a leap of logic I'd have to rewatch it to see how it actually played out.

Yep would have just have stopped the confusion.

But yeah, be interesting to hear what you make of that second example upon a rewatch. Just didn't make much sense to me.

but it's just in Listers initial scene with Kryton it had sounded like Rimmer had gone along too and that he wouldn't be back for 24hrs

Lister said something along the lines of, "they're gonna pick him up on Sunday."

Edited by MoogleViper

Finally got a chance to catch up with last week's episode (Entangled). Great stuff! much better than Lemons (which felt rather forced all round to me and featured a plot that ran its course less than halfway through).

I love how this episode brings back more of the sci-fi wacky concepts from some of the later episodes, as I felt that this series was a bit lacking in those thus far.

My only real complaint is that the professor's ending was very much contrived - even for the series' standard (just read it to yourself on paper and you'll see how utterly absurd it is). Felt like it would be more at home on Father Ted than Red Dwarf ::shrug:

Other than that, great stuff! : peace:

It was all rather coincidental, wasn't it ;)

Edited by Dcubed

Yeah, it was good stuff, as usual. I loved the concept of a place that employs people who get everything wrong, and yet the concept itself was a bad one. The irony of it amused me greatly in the same manner as the "Chinese Whispers" joke in Episode 2. Also, Craig Charles was trying not to laugh with his kebab!

I think I've sussed Red Dwarf X out. It is heavily focused on presenting everything to a studio audience, with as little shown on screen as possible (a screen in the studio, I mean). There are probably two or three sets side-by-side, and they are used as much as possible. For example, when Lister/the crew went to that moon to gamble with the aliens, all you saw was one CGI shot of Starbug leaving Red Dwarf. In the old days you'd probably get far more location shots, eg. them walking on the planetoid, model spaceships landing...

And think of the Series V episode I watched the other day, "Terrorform", where (as well as the things I've just mentioned) you had a monster. First it was depicted by some claws coming out of a hole, then you saw its shadow on the wall, then it was represented by the claws again. I don't think you'd get anything like that nowadays.

Anyway, it works. I'd already put it as the 7th-best series and I've enjoyed every episode.

Anyway, it works. I'd already put it as the 7th-best series and I've enjoyed every episode.

Out of 9?.

Wow you must really like Red Dwarf if you're enjoying this one so much and yet it only makes it into 7th place...

Wow you must really like Red Dwarf if you're enjoying this one so much and yet it only makes it into 7th place...

You havn't seen "Back to Earth" and Series 8.

I have actually. I presume. My brain shutdown soon after 'Back to Earth' to preserve itself, but i assume they must have been really bad.

I have actually. I presume. My brain shutdown soon after 'Back to Earth' to preserve itself, but i assume they must have been really bad.

Brain shut-down should have commenced BEFORE Back to Earth. I'm not saying it were bad, it wasn't Dwarfy and lacked a fair bit. I guess they made it to see if there was interest in a new series.

You havn't seen "Back to Earth" and Series 8.

You know series 8 had some very good episodes too and had some great side characters.

Captain Holister was great and Mr acherman( sp?) as well as Kill crazy.

Cassandra was the best episode of that series and it had some great moments.

Classic scene right here.

But series 8 had the first proper BAD episodes of red dwarf though. Back to the Red part 3 was WEIRD and stupid!

Series 8 did have some good moments, and the bad episodes. Back in the Red part 3 should NEVER have been made. Felt like a waste of time watching. Kill Crazy, Ackerman and Hollister were excellent side-characters indeed. Much needed refreshement

I didn't really like any of the series/episodes when the whole crew magically returned. Kind of spoiled the whole premise of Lister being the last remaining human etc. On the other hand, there were some good/memorable moments, such as when Lister and Rimmer get a delayed beatdown in front of the captain, and Rimmers ridiculous salutes.

Yeah, didn't like the whole "The nano's recreated the crew". From what i may ask, in Series 1 Lister and Rimmer gave funerals to all the crew members. So there were no remains on-board to recreate life from.

Remember the rats in the airducts, apparantly that was meant to be Lister's cat Frankenstien. But CGI cats didn't work well back then.

I don't know what the mystery is, you sarcastic bugger. Without Rob Grant it couldn't hope to be as good as I-VI, but it's still good.

That was absolutely hilarious ("Dear Dave"). All the story threads came together to make a brilliant ending.

Hmmm I'm not sure about that episode...no Cat untl 12/13 minutes in but when he did come in was hilarious. One thing I don't like about this season is how the characters are paired off as such before coming together, however it kind of feels forced to evoke these "classic conversations" that the earlier seasons had but sometimes the jokes are no where near funny enough. Kryten and Rimmers early convo about the letters going to JMC etc...was just not funny I guess it did have a means to an end that the Cat went without toilet roll (surely he doesn't use it? hell he still licks food out of a bowl)

Ya I would say that was the weakest too. It felt like an episode from series 1 and that's not a good thing...

Wasn't too bad of an episode, it felt more "complete" than earlier episodes. It had it's moments, up and down indeed. Shame the series ends next week, was really enjoying it.

And for those who have the complete series on DVD. They've thought of you (well, us). They've included an alternative cover to the new series to match that of the 1-8 sleeves.

56044_300010546771609_2030173246_o.jpg

Yeah it wasn't as good as some of the others, although i did laugh at the last line.