N-Europe

Name That Game: 2012 Edition

Dog-amoto

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a more conventional hint for number 31:

31. PC-exclusive game that has spawned three sequels, with a fourth one on the way.

If no one gets it now, I don't know what to think. :p

34. King's Quest?

No, as I said, the screenshot isn't very representative of the game. It's not quite as pretty during actual gameplay.

Is it Doom?

EDIT: Wait, that game isn't 2D... And I also just realized that sequel clue was for 31, not 34.

Is 31. Doom? Probably not, but whatever

NEW POST: Wait, I had eliminated Castle Wolfenstein based on the sequel clue, but now that I was mistaken...

34. Castle Wolfenstein

Edited by Jonnas

:sad:

31. Hitting the man in this screenshot is one of the ways you can finish this level.

34. This screenshot is not very representative of this groundbreaking game.

31. You don't just hit the man in the screenshot - you hit people all over the place (but mostly men).

34. When I called this game "groundbreaking," I meant that it practically invented a new genre.

31. PC-exclusive game that has spawned three sequels, with a fourth one on the way.

31. When I say "hit", I mean to death. In fact, you can kill pretty much anyone you want in this game, though that's not how you're supposed to play it.

34. Originally released on the PC, had a remake before the turn of the millennium and had one sequel. Has annoying beasts that live underground.

Edited by Magnus

31. Don't think it's right but - Civilization? Am just looking at upcoming PC games and the fifth one comes out soon, so...

The only other game I can think of with a fifth game on the way is GTA, and I know that can't be right...

Edited by Dog-amoto

Argh, I got nothing, sorry! Will have to leave this to the others. I never really played PC games.

Have got a round ready for when these have been guessed.

EDIT. Gonna try X-COM for 34??

Edited by Dog-amoto

No, but you're on the right track. You've probably heard of this game, even if you haven't played it. It's pretty well-known, though not as well-known as the games the developers went on to make after this one. ;)

Have got a round ready for when these have been guessed.

I figured you did, since you seemed eager for this round to be over. :heh:

*Never really played PC games, guesses System Shock immediately*

31. Every game in this series save for the first one has been released on consoles.

I think I'm looking at the wrong genre for 34...

Yeah, it's not quite right, though there are some similarities.

While you can't finish 31 without killing people, it's only as violent as Postal if you choose to play it that way or if you're really bad at the game.

No, but you're on the right track. You've probably heard of this game, even if you haven't played it. It's pretty well-known, though not as well-known as the games the developers went on to make after this one. ;)

Hmm, am thinking Bungie for some reason...

Maybe the Myth games?

So, to sum up: game 34 was released on the PC in the early nineties and was highly influential - it's usually given at least partial credit for creating a new genre of games. It was made by a developer that is now defunct, and which was primarily known for the games it went on to make after this one. The game had a remake (of sorts, it wasn't a straight remake) before the turn of the millennium and one sequel after that. You'll mostly find this genre on the PC.

The game has a 2 in the title, despite not being a sequel. ;)