NEurope
Wesley

Netflix

So, 3 Body Problem is out. Yay or nay? Can't decide, the trailer didn't really do much to me but when reading about it, it sounds promising.
It's on my list of things to watch. It is supposed to be quite good though.

It will be interesting to see what they kept or cut from the book, because that shit was strange.
  • Like 1

On 22/03/2024 at 7:52 PM, MindFreak said:

So, 3 Body Problem is out. Yay or nay? Can't decide, the trailer didn't really do much to me but when reading about it, it sounds promising.

Anyone else watched it? I was thinking the same, but haven’t watched it yet.

Still reading the books so I'll avoid the show for a while.

Anyone else checked out Baby Reindeer? One of the most fascinating character pieces I've seen in a long time.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ashley said:

Anyone else checked out Baby Reindeer? One of the most fascinating character pieces I've seen in a long time.

I watched it with my girlfriend over the weekend. Quite disturbing, which goes to show how well made it is.

We were definitely asking ourselves how much of it was true to Richard Gadd's personal experience. There was so much to unpack there.

Finished watching Baby Reindeer. Infuriating. All it could've taken was for him to actually take steps to make it stop, but was too much of a pussy and liked the attention, until it was the kind of attention he didn't want, then it was bad. Even then he did fuck all.

Finished watching Baby Reindeer. Infuriating. All it could've taken was for him to actually take steps to make it stop, but was too much of a pussy and liked the attention, until it was the kind of attention he didn't want, then it was bad. Even then he did fuck all.
But because of it he has a super successful Netflix series. He was playing the long game all along.
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, EEVILMURRAY said:

Almost as if trauma and abuse can affect you. 

2 hours ago, Sheikah said:
21 hours ago, EEVILMURRAY said:

But because of it he has a super successful Netflix series. He was playing the long game all along.

Makes sense, because I don't recall him getting any comedy fame out of it (not that I've looked)

1 hour ago, Ashley said:

Almost as if trauma and abuse can affect you. 

I'm sure it can, not sure how far back they're willing to go to justify it.

32 minutes ago, EEVILMURRAY said:

Makes sense, because I don't recall him getting any comedy fame out of it (not that I've looked)

I'm sure it can, not sure how far back they're willing to go to justify it.

He won the best of fringe or whatever that award is called one year. 

Spoiler

As to your other point I'm not sure what exactly you're referring to but I'm assuming the first instance of being abused by that producer. 

He was groomed by that person because he was led to believe it could help him with his career. The emotional and mental manipulation was on clear display but to apply your logic to someone else's is not beneficial. 

Yeah you and I could go "get the hell out of there!" but being the victim of grooming means you can't think "right". That's what the abuser does to you. If they can't do that, they won't be 'effective' in the first place. He prayed on his insecurity, his need for professional advancement and - seemingly - some repressed uncertainty about his own sexuality. Then after abusing him was nice to him to further fuck with his mind. It's classic abuse. And that's without even talking about the effect the drugs would have had on his mindset. 

That fundamental changed his ability to relate to others, to know what is and is not a trustworthy person. The final episode showed how you can be fundamental broken, and yet those that broke you can still help you. Again from the outside you may think "this is not a good idea", but the reveal that he has a folder of complementary voice recordings of Martha shows he is someone that can't understand and process relationships the same way most would. She treated him awfully, but she also treated him well. The former nearly broke him, the latter may be something that saves him. 

He is making objectively bad decisions but I think as a show they really did a good job of explaining where he's coming from. You don't have to agree with his choices (probably best if you don't!) but his actions had a rationality from his experience. They're not rational by pretty much anyone else's logic, but he was deeply damaged by several people and he's finding his way through it. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Ashley said:

Spoilers for the show (Hide contents)

As to your other point I'm not sure what exactly you're referring to but I'm assuming the first instance of being abused by that producer. 

He was groomed by that person because he was led to believe it could help him with his career. The emotional and mental manipulation was on clear display but to apply your logic to someone else's is not beneficial. 

Yeah that bit. Maybe the real story has more to it.

Edited by EEVILMURRAY

Holy, Shoresy's on Netflix!

Go give it a watch.

Spoiler As to your other point I'm not sure what exactly you're referring to but I'm assuming the first instance of being abused by that producer. 
Yeah you and I could go "get the hell out of there!" but being the victim of grooming means you can't think "right". That's what the abuser does to you. If they can't do that, they won't be 'effective' in the first place. He prayed on his insecurity, his need for professional advancement and - seemingly - some repressed uncertainty about his own sexuality. Then after abusing him was nice to him to further fuck with his mind. It's classic abuse. And that's without even talking about the effect the drugs would have had on his mindset. 
That fundamental changed his ability to relate to others, to know what is and is not a trustworthy person. The final episode showed how you can be fundamental broken, and yet those that broke you can still help you. Again from the outside you may think "this is not a good idea", but the reveal that he has a folder of complementary voice recordings of Martha shows he is someone that can't understand and process relationships the same way most would. She treated him awfully, but she also treated him well. The former nearly broke him, the latter may be something that saves him. 
He is making objectively bad decisions but I think as a show they really did a good job of explaining where he's coming from. You don't have to agree with his choices (probably best if you don't!) but his actions had a rationality from his experience. They're not rational by pretty much anyone else's logic, but he was deeply damaged by several people and he's finding his way through it. 

Agree 100%. Sorry as my first post was facetious.

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, drahkon said:

Holy, Shoresy's on Netflix!

Go give it a watch.

Binged the first season last night, gonna do the same with the second tonight or tomorrow.

It's soooo good!

Second time I've watched the show now, will watch it again when I visit my friends in Milan next month :D

Edited by drahkon