NEurope
Wesley

Netflix

On 26/09/2023 at 11:56 AM, Sheikah said:

I enjoyed it quite a lot. I'm someone who normally really hates anime live adaptations because the focus is usually on visual appearance and consistency with the anime - so the characters are usually pretending to be "anime" with awkward grunts and gestures.

Perhaps because this isn't made in Japan it actually works. The characters are kind of believable in their own way and not just clones of how they are in the anime. Luffy is a good example - not as goofy and stupid as in the anime, but with different eccentricities. The only slightly weak character I thought was Zoro, with the rest being very well realised. It's also 10 episodes long so it doesn't drag on anywhere near as much as the anime, so that's another definite plus.

So i did watch it, and though it was pretty good. Had no idea going in that it was piratey, and i really enjoy piratey things, so that was good. It was like a cartoony version of Pirates of the Caribbean. 

I take issue with your statement that it is 10 episodes long though. I was really confused when episode 8 ended and wondered what they would even have in the final 2 episodes...

One thing i don't really get is that everyone is after this map to take them to The Grand Line, but then they explain that the Grand Line is a band that cuts the entire ocean into the north and south seas. So why can't they just sail south if they want to get there?

• Like 1

So i did watch it, and though it was pretty good. Had no idea going in that it was piratey, and i really enjoy piratey things, so that was good. It was like a cartoony version of Pirates of the Caribbean. 
I take issue with your statement that it is 10 episodes long though. I was really confused when episode 8 ended and wondered what they would even have in the final 2 episodes...
One thing i don't really get is that everyone is after this map to take them to The Grand Line, but then they explain that the Grand Line is a band that cuts the entire ocean into the north and south seas. So why can't they just sail south if they want to get there?

Haha, I misremembered the episode count...

Still, not too many episodes is a good thing. Doesn't overstay its welcome.

And the reason they need a map (think this was explained) is because entering the Grand Line is really treacherous and needs to be entered via a certain point and navigated in such a way. Loads of ships/crew that try to cross it don't make it.

1 minute ago, Sheikah said:

Haha, I misremembered the episode count...

Still, not too many episodes is a good thing. Doesn't overstay its welcome.

And the reason they need a map (think this was explained) is because entering the Grand Line is really treacherous and needs to be entered via a certain point and navigated in such a way. Loads of ships/crew that try to cross it don't make it.

Oh i guess that makes sense. I thought they just meant it was really dangerous because all the worst pirates went there.

Just finished watching Dark... that was a crazy watch... but in a good way. I couldn't tell which was it was going, it kept telling you one thing and then everyone lies and does something different. It's like when they tell someone to stay in the car/house and they don't, but it's a whole town doing it.

Now onto Dear Child, only one episode but is intriguing.

• Like 2

The Fire Stick app (and presumably elsewhere) has recently updated so that every screen transition involves a 'swooping' kind of zoom in animation like their logo does and its really annoying me in how gratuitous it is.

16 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Man, the first Chicken Run is one of those films I watched a lot and loved when I was little, but had something about it which creeped me out...was it the image of a chicken emerging from a pie? Probably :laughing: think it's time for a re-watch! 

Probably not as bad as the nightmare the photo of Darla gave me after watching Finding Nemo for the first time, though :p

• Haha 1

Watched Scott Pilgrim Takes Off yesterday and really enjoyed it. However, I do think that you need to watch the original film or read the comics in order to really get what's so great about the new show.

A part in the middle was a bit off, though.

Spoiler

When we first heard about the movie and saw some scenes from it, it was awesome, but then moving into that documentary style felt wrong, and then suddenly cancelling the movie made those episodes feel rather pointless. 

I also found some scenes with Scott to lack in the voice acting department - not enough excitement or similar. It got better again, though, so it was just a few missteps, I think.

The animation was good but they added some blurring to the front and back which was especially clear in the beginning and I think it was hard to look at on a big screen.

But this is nitpicking, it really felt like a good extension to the Scott Pilgrim universe.

On 19/11/2023 at 7:14 AM, MindFreak said:

Watched Scott Pilgrim Takes Off yesterday and really enjoyed it. However, I do think that you need to watch the original film or read the comics in order to really get what's so great about the new show.

Watched the first two episodes over the weekend. Expected to enjoy it, didn't expect to be intrigued about where it's going.

Finished watching Bodies the other day. We watched the first 4 episodes, and then dropped off to watch some other things, but I'm glad we persevered and finished it off - it was actually quite good! It was kind of like a much simpler Dark - nowhere near as good, but a similar sort of time loop scenario. As with all time travel shows, it helps not to try and think about it too hard, as it often falls apart, but on the surface the plot all lined up, and I enjoyed the different time periods. I would happily have watched a few extended episodes on the Victorian and WW2 timelines.

• Like 1

Looks like Netflix are planning on getting rid of their £10.99 tier so people will have to either go down and deal with ads or pay £17.99 for premium. I'll just be cancelling again, its not worth it.

6 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Looks like Netflix are planning on getting rid of their £10.99 tier so people will have to either go down and deal with ads or pay £17.99 for premium. I'll just be cancelling again, its not worth it.

Yeah, was reading about it this morning. It's getting beyond a joke now. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a price increase before the end of the year to help pay for the WWE deal.

2 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Yeah, was reading about it this morning. It's getting beyond a joke now. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a price increase before the end of the year to help pay for the WWE deal.

Yeah that definitely seems to be the main theory.

They claim its to pay for the new features like games but I don't think many people give a shit about those and would rather just pay less to not have them.

2 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Yeah that definitely seems to be the main theory.

They claim its to pay for the new features like games but I don't think many people give a shit about those and would rather just pay less to not have them.

It's going to be harsh if there is a price increase to pay for the wrestling. Like the games stuff, I imagine a lot of people aren't really fussed about the WWE and would prefer to pay less to just not have it. 

I wonder if they start introducing different tiers?

I've not had Netflix since the password sharing thing got announced. Can't say I've missed it in the slightest. I will subscribe for a month when both Cobra Kai and Stranger Things eventually hit but other than that I'm not really bothered.

3 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

It's going to be harsh if there is a price increase to pay for the wrestling. Like the games stuff, I imagine a lot of people aren't really fussed about the WWE and would prefer to pay less to just not have it. 

I wonder if they start introducing different tiers?

I've not had Netflix since the password sharing thing got announced. Can't say I've missed it in the slightest. I will subscribe for a month when both Cobra Kai and Stranger Things eventually hit but other than that I'm not really bothered.

Same thing for me, I only resubbed this time because enough shows built up that I wanted to watch. I'll give it one more month as someone else in the house is still finishing off a show then I'll be cancelling again.

Coming off The Traitors and needing a similar fix, I decided to check out Netflix for first time in awhile. I came across The Trust. Which the missus and I have watched first 3 episodes. It's an interesting concept, but at the moment just seems to focus on a group of neurotic women, which can make for some most painful watching.

@Beast @WackerJr @darksnowman get on it!

• Thanks 1

Thanks for bringing that to my attention. May indeed check it out. Just watched the trailer and the part with the secrets reminded me of Danganronpa. 

• Like 1

Spoiler

I was worried you’d spend most of the time watching them sit around talking, but the challenges during the day add some interesting twists.

Most of them seem so fickle though!  One person is deliberately asked to rank the others, or put themselves in the hypothetical order, with no rewards, and some of them are getting upset with them.  It doesn’t matter people!

The ‘all it needs is one vote’ is a clever way to put everyone on edge mind.  I wonder how long it’ll take the millionaire to tell everyone. He’s just dying to broadcast it, at which point someone’s going to get annoyed and vote him out I expect.

Thanks. I’m three episodes into The Trust and it’s an interesting concept.

• Like 1

Watched Spaceman last night.

Got a resounding "meh" from me.

The premise looks intriguing, but I can't be the only one who finds Andrew Scott boring to watch.

So, 3 Body Problem is out. Yay or nay? Can't decide, the trailer didn't really do much to me but when reading about it, it sounds promising.