NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Ellmeister

TV time

I'm looking to upgrade my old TV in my room and someone recommended best buy but I remember seeing a post stating Best Buy won't be selling in the UK anymore, so does anyone have another good recommendation for me?

I'm just looking for a decent 42" for a good deal.

I'm not even sure what the difference between plasma, LCD and LED is so any help would be appreciated!

Having looked, I now know the difference between Plasma, LCD and LED. So probably going to look for a LED or LCD.

I have one of these, and it's now only £400. It's 42", it's Panasonic (which is one of the best makes, save for perhaps Pioneer). It's a brilliant TV, and stuff like built-in BBC iPlayer works really well. It also looks great with games.

To be honest, if you want anything noticeably better than that, you'll have to look at a brand new, top of the range Panasonic 3DTV (the 3D isn't important - it's just that the new models have it).

Was about to point to that S30 too. Richer Sounds have the ST30 for £50 more too. Not sure what the differences are beyond 3D though.

What's the budget out of interest?

Best Buy is still open for another few weeks and have up to 50% off everything. Your nearest one is Enfield, or maybe Hayes (as I don't know exactly where you live).

I went for the one Cube suggested, I'd already looked at it before after being recommended by someone else so yeah, it is now sitting proudly on my wall in my room! Such a difference compared to my old one.

Now I need to upgrade to a brand new xbox with HDMI!

Are there any tips/ advice for settings on the TV you guys could suggest? I don't have the internet set up on it and don't want to fork out £60 for a dongle. I've got my xbox set up just below it, could I use that perhaps?

Thanks for the suggestions anyway!

Check avforums, they have advice for all TVs, settings for the best picture etc.

Am I understanding right, you have an internet TV but it doesn't have wifi built in? Homeplug might be the solution for you, or could you possibly move your router near the TV/xbox and connect directly by ethernet?

Check avforums, they have advice for all TVs, settings for the best picture etc.

Am I understanding right, you have an internet TV but it doesn't have wifi built in? Homeplug might be the solution for you, or could you possibly move your router near the TV/xbox and connect directly by ethernet?

Thanks Shorty, that's also right about the TV, you need to buy a dongle for it extra (sneaky buggers ¬_¬). Moving the router is out of the question unfortunately!.

I'm trying to set it up so that when I turn the TV on it goes straight to AV1 but I cannot get it to work.

It always comes onto TV which I have no signal/ reception for as sky is just on AV1.

What settings do I need? I've tried looking online but the auto-detect suggestion didn't work.

Not all TVs can do that. Some autodetect when an AV device comes on and switch to scart etc, but not all of them. Mine just comes back on the same input it was on last.

It says it can and has settings to do so but they don't seem to work. Shame. Guess I'll just have to get used to it.

Aha, so it only does 720p? Might already have found myself an alternative here anyway, although this is 'HD Ready' too.

Only HD device I really have is my 360, though my laptop has a blu-ray. How significant is the difference and, more importantly, can I get full HD in that kind of price range?

OK, now we're looking at this http://www.richersounds.com/product/lcd-tv/lg/32lk450u/lg-32lk450

That one says 1080p so it should be full HD. Not sure you'd want to look elsewhere to see if you can get a TV that is backlit/3D/smart or if you're on a budget.

A good tv for the price. Though reviews say it's let down by it's blacks (apparently they're a lighter grey than they should be). Other than that it's pretty good. Seems to get far better customer reviews than expert reviews.

Agree.

Experts see all kinds of TVs - maybe compared to a really nice TV the blacks aren't great, but I wager they'd be fine for philistine @Dan Dare.

400458_10151167600335144_799685143_22207328_913181258_n.jpg

got a 32" LG with 1080p, HDMI aplenty and various trimmings. We had to dick around a bit with colour and power settings to get the best image but got there in the end. Rayman Origins just....woah. Yeah.

Achievements only for player one.

Honestly, that pissed me off so much, you could've bought it off me like-new for £10.

Nice telly :)

Yeah that sucks. I've actually had Rayman for a few weeks though. Still a bloody great game :)

I thought Shorty was talking about giving you the TV for £10.

Mates-rates. Shorty's a very generous man.

400458_10151167600335144_799685143_22207328_913181258_n.jpg

got a 32" LG with 1080p, HDMI aplenty and various trimmings. We had to dick around a bit with colour and power settings to get the best image but got there in the end. Rayman Origins just....woah. Yeah.

What sorta price did you get on it?

If he got it from the link he posted above, it was £269.95, or £296.50 with a 5 year warranty. Which I'm sure Dan will have taken. Because he is smart. And that's a great price for the warranty.

Right Dan?

Sign in to follow this