N-Europe

Upgrade time

nightwolf

As the title suggests, it's time to upgrade my phone.

Now with the Blackberry being changed in the near future, I'm scrapping getting a new Blackberry as I planned, but now this leaves me in the wilds of touch screens, iPhones, HTC...argh!

As you can tell, I'm not massively good with phones, so what I want is this:

1. Something that can be on a cheapish plan, my plan is about 30quid but I know a lot of iPhones tend to want you on higher plans (I'm considering the iPhone, but we'll see.)

2. I don't care about the internet as I don't really use it except for emails, so anything that's good with emails, texting and little games/apps.

3. Touch screen I'm not a huge fan of, so if you know a really awesome touch screen, great, but it'd be ideal of it wouldn't fuck me off after 3 months.

Basically, I want a good, quick phone, I can use one handed for texting and emails and some apps.

Ideas? Help a lost soul out! :(

Well, even though most of N-E thinks I'm a huge Apple fanboy I'm really not. I use what I think is the best device available at the time. And my personal opinion is, go for the iPhone.

Not a 3GS, but 4 or 4S, both amazing phones and IMO the best money can buy. If you don't have the money for either and want something a fair bit cheaper I suggest a HTC Desire S.

I would stay away from Blackberrys.

Thanks Caris.

I do genuinely like the iPhone, but from when I've been messing with them, they drive me a bit insane, so I'm seeing how it goes.

I'm looking into the samsung galaxy s2, heard so many good things about them.

Blackberrys are my favourite, I love them, I currently have one, but since I've heard about Blackberry changing their system, it seems stupid to get one when in 6 months or so things might change with them. Shame :(.

I'd say you will need to get used to touchscreen phones eventually, so you might as well start now.

The Galaxy S II is a great phone and I've only heard good things about it too. And you can add more memory if you want, as well as being able to change the battery easily when it runs out. Spare batteries are really cheap. And it's way more durable than an iPhone if you drop it by mistake. The screen is massive and really nice looking.

I'd go for that if I were you.

I too am considering the SII. Was thinking the Nexus (Ice Cream Sandwich :D) but the SII will have an upgrade soon so may go with that instead.

Although part of me thinks wait until we hear more about the SIII as apparently out next month (says gossip and heresy)

The one bit that swings it for me - if I drop it, thanks Diego. I tend to not take much care of them.

Really the latest phone doesn't bother me, I've only very recently caught onto the smartphone bandwagon, as I mentioned, I only really use the net for emails and some apps.

Anyway the s2 is winning, dealt with it a lot at work and it looks like a good phone.

I'm slightly torn haha, it'll be more down to which has the best package with orange, but thanks guys.

Anymore suggestions mind you? I'm sure people use more than just those two phones!

I'm not a fan of the Galaxy or the Galaxy S2 at all. Samsung's Android interface is the worst out there and I don't think the device is that nice either. There's no denying it's a great piece of kit but I honestly think it's too large, even if that does mean a lovely big AMOLED screen.

Personally I prefer HTC, so if you get a chance and you want a top-end Android, I would go to somewhere like Carphone Warehouse and try out the HTC Sensation, Galaxy S2 and Galaxy Nexus (Samsung again, but stock interface and Android 4).

If it doesn't have to be the biggest and the best out there, the HTC Desire S is a brilliant phone. Nikki has had one for a few months; it's a fast, well built little phone and has given her no trouble. The battery life isn't stellar with GPS and 3G running, but no worse than the iPhone's.

You really have to give the iPhone 4S another try too. For me it's still the best smartphone out there. The interface is just so well thought out, the touch-screen is unrivalled and the thing is lightning fast. Although, I really want the jailbreak to arrive, just to give me back some functions which are standard in Android, such as one-press function toggles and SSH access.

Thanks guys, but it has to go through Orange, it's because my Dad is due an upgrade and is giving me the phone, rather than my own contract which ends in June.

:) I've pretty much got my heart set on the s2, a friend at work has one and has let me play with it and I really like it, so we'll see :).