N-Europe

CV help please!

Eenuh

You should convince Flinky to write children's books so you could illustrate them.

I'm still not sure about images. I might add a separate file with some of my greeting cards as examples, sort of like a tiny portfolio as an attachment (so in the cover letter I'll point to the CV and examples as being attached, or whatever heh).

Yes, a separate attachment for examples would be best. Make sure you put a watermark on it.

Bullet point-like response because I'm lazy:

- Personal Statement is too long. Two or three lines is fine.

- Don't describe level of computer software knowledge (i.e. just put 'Adobe Photoshop, InDesign' etc)

- Also include able to work with Macs, PC (if true) and tablets (and scan then colour I suppose)

- Make it fit on two sides

- I'd say for your education just put course name and type. I'm unsure about grade because unless its directly comparable to the British classification system it could lead to confusion.

- I'd say merge publications, logos and illustrations into 'Published Work' (also why isn't my CV on there? :heh:)

Are you submitting this online (I assume so)? It would be super nifty (yes, super nifty!) if you linked any mentions to certain pieces, publications etc to the actual piece/publication. May have to play with the design aspect (i.e. make it clear its a link but you're not drowning in blue text or whatever) but could help incorporate your creative work within the CV.

You could also create a portfolio section of your site (inespee.com/portfolio) and link that with the application rather than sending a load of attachments that will clog up their email server.

Did get your facebook btw, on it soon

Edited by Ashley

Another quick point, "logo's" doesn't require the apostrophe - should be "logos" :)

I would also put education/work experience above awards/achievements, however I can see why you placed it there if the awards etc. are relevant to the position you are applying to.

Should be able to save space by changing the format - you're essentially only using half of the width on your achievements part. Feel free to expand on the printing margins - to the max of your printer's actual ability - and you'll get closer to two pages :P Reducing the amount of width that's currently dedicated to merely the years of your education would mean you could play about with the formatting of your education;

'09 - '11 - Institution - Course title - grade. I'm sure you can squeeze it into two lines each, using italics/bolding/font size to make sure you're differentiating the important parts from the useless.

I don't think you need to say "summer and weekend job" - just stick to talking about the duties and responsibilities. A CV is used to get your foot in the door, to get the interview where you'll (ideally) be probed further on anything the employer finds interesting on the CV.

I do personally think that your CV is already a lot more engaging, and sells your abilities quicker than your previous CV did. You may be able to be more succinct with your personal profile.

As your working life extends, you'll basically have to pick and choose which jobs you want to mention on your CV - I'd say the same can be done for your education. You could put your general education in with 'other' and just have a line or two saying "primary and secondary degrees in Visual Art, at [place]. The "general education latin - maths" confuses me. How would it correlate with something the employer would be able to relate to?

Edited by jayseven
Autodoubled singlepost