Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Cuba

Ellmeister

I was wondering if anyone had ventured over to the well known Cuba for perhaps travelling or a holiday or even just to piss of the Americans?

I'm looking to go on holiday there next May to meet up with some friends travelling around the world and really would like some advice on Cuba in general and any hotels they may recommend.

Anything else Cuba related is welcome here as well. I was told the population are so poor over there that people take pencils as gifts to give to children or tips to workers during their travels. Not sure how true this really is though :p

A crappy hotel doesn't really matter. Especially if you're just using it to sleep and shower. You can just hang out on beaches and then go out on the town at night, restaurants, etc. So as long as the bed doesn't smell you're in the clear.

Anywhere is fun with some good mates anyway.

Ah, Cuba. Never been there, nor do I intend to. A friend of a friend of a relative lived there. The stories I've heard about life there would leave me unable to enjoy any of the good things that Cuba offers its tourists.

Still, Maestro, if you need help with your communication skills, I'd be happy to help.

One thing you should keep in mind is that the healthcare is terrible there. I've read about people who went there, gotten minor injuries and ended up having to have their limbs amputated because the hospitals were inadequate.

Okay... say what you want about Cuba, but it has one of the most competent NHS's in the world, considering it's economy... so that's most likely propaganda that you read.

I'm not a communist, nor do I endorse communism (not imposed communism, at least), but that's one of the things Cuba's famous for... it's NHS and it's education... (namely medicine, which is one of the top rated courses worldwide when it comes to quality)

But everything else is probably true... People are "poor" in that they have no possessions whatsoever, but other than that they're all very well educated and are all well fed and have a roof over their heads, sanitary conditions are met, and all other essentials are provided. Non-essentials are, for the most part... confiscated, forbidden, persecuted, etc. It's a shame, but at least their needs are met.

I remember in Michael Moore's Sicko, he takes some 9/11 rescue workers with medical problems (for which they don't get treatment and medication in the US) to Havana. They get treated for free and receive medication and all that.

Of course that's just his documentary so I don't know how true it all is, but yeah.

Never been to Cuba and not sure it's a place that's very high on my places-to-go-to list. But just put some research into things you could do there. Like Diageo said, hotels aren't too important as long as you have a clean bed to sleep in and a shower. Good luck! =)

Okay... say what you want about Cuba, but it has one of the most competent NHS's in the world, considering it's economy... so that's most likely propaganda that you read.

I'm not a communist, nor do I endorse communism (not imposed communism, at least), but that's one of the things Cuba's famous for... it's NHS and it's education... (namely medicine, which is one of the top rated courses worldwide when it comes to quality)

But everything else is probably true... People are "poor" in that they have no possessions whatsoever, but other than that they're all very well educated and are all well fed and have a roof over their heads, sanitary conditions are met, and all other essentials are provided. Non-essentials are, for the most part... confiscated, forbidden, persecuted, etc. It's a shame, but at least their needs are met.

This is mostly accurate with everything I've heard about the country, except...

I was under the impression that Cuba's health care system cares more about tourists/foreigners than their actual citizens. I recall seeing photos of a hospital for citizens, not being able to meet even essential aspects such as basic sanitation (though that was a long time ago, I have little reason to believe that has changed much, considering Cuba was already famous for their healthcare system back then)

Everything else is accurate, yes. Even going to the beach is forbidden, being exclusive to tourists.

The case I'm talking about wasn't fabricated. It actually happened. The coverage I saw of it wasn't American either, so I doubt it was exaggerated that much. Just be cautious and do your research is all I'm saying, you don't want to get into a situation where you don't have access to proper medical care.