N-Europe

3D TV and Blu Ray Players

Mokong

Just wondering,

If I was looking at getting a 3D TV, would I need to get a specific "3D Blu-ray player"?

I already have a Blu-Ray player, it doesn't say anything about 3D though, but I would have assumed a Blu-Ray player is a Blu-Ray player, 2D or 3D.

But just flipping through the new Argos book and looking at the 3D TV section it then has "3D Blu-Ray Players"

So like if I got a 3D TV, would I need to buy a new 3D Blu-Ray player too?

Well that seems silly to me, I would have thought all Blu-Ray players could play 3D Blu-Ray discs?

So if I were to be getting a 3D TV, I'd actually have to go buy a new BluRay player too, even though I already have one?

I mean my BluRay Player is newer than the PS3 and that can play 3D BluRay films?

And there I was thinking I was future proofing myself when I got my BluRay player 2 years ago :heh:

So is a 3D BluRay Disc a (slightly) different disc format from a regular BluRay?

Note: I'm actually not planning on buyig a 3D TV in th enear future just asking as I thought it odd when I saw some players advertised as "3D BluRay Players" but thought maybe that was because they were shown alongside 3D TV's. Plus I know some people looking for new TV's and I'm usually the one asked about these things so thought I better look it up before I'm asked, haha.

Yeah im moving at the end of august and want to get a new monster tv. Really tempted by 3D... I'll post what bargains I find here if you do :)

Let me know if you see any good priced 3D LED TVs :wink:

Though right now I have a 50 inch Plasma, and I couldn't downgrade the size, to even match the size a 3D LED can be pretty pricey.... hoping they come down in a few years when I am in the market for one myself.

Edited by Mokong
Automerged Doublepost

No 3D blu-ray standard existed when blu-rays became available. The 3D hype started after that. It’s possible some players can get an firmware update to support it, you’ll have to check the support site of yours, but you’re likely better off with a new one yes.

No 3D blu-ray standard existed when blu-rays became available. The 3D hype started after that. It’s possible some players can get an firmware update to support it, you’ll have to check the support site of yours, but you’re likely better off with a new one yes.

Yes.

The discs are exactly the same. It's just depends on if your Blu-Ray has updated firmware to support it.

What model do you have?

Has anybody seen a 3d tv in action?

I haven't yet but am really intrigued to see what it can add to a viewing experience - particularly sports.

I was in town a few weeks ago and they always have a SKY stand with 3d tv showing and you can just walk up and view it.

I have been tempted, but can't be bothered with the sales jargon afterwards trying to get me to sign up!

I watch tennis virtually all year round and if sky has 3d packages for sports (which im sure they do), then it'd be interesting to see how it looked.

I’ve only seen it twice recently in a cinema, I don’t know if TV's are a very different expereince, being on a smaller screen and perhaps using different technologies. I like 3D when done right, but you really should experience it yourself somehow.. Some people can’t handle 3D viewing, and you don’t want to realise you’re one of them after making an expensive purchase.

Has anybody seen a 3d tv in action?

I haven't yet but am really intrigued to see what it can add to a viewing experience - particularly sports.

I was in town a few weeks ago and they always have a SKY stand with 3d tv showing and you can just walk up and view it.

I have been tempted, but can't be bothered with the sales jargon afterwards trying to get me to sign up!

I watch tennis virtually all year round and if sky has 3d packages for sports (which im sure they do), then it'd be interesting to see how it looked.

Sport is probably the best thing I've seen in 3D. They're good, more pronounced than the cinema. I'm a tennis addict too, but not seen anything yet. My mate edits for Wimbledon and he had a big experience day, said it looked shit... He talks a lot of shit though!

Ha Dazzy.

Well I still marvel at Eurosport's quality of HD to be honest. My current TV is fairly decent - not amazing not shit, and Eurosport's tennis coverage in HD is brilliant.

Very impressive.

So I do wonder how much more 3d can add. And yeah Sméagol you are correct - it is one of those things one should test for ones self! :grin:

What model do you have?

Sorry for the late reply, kept forgetting to check the model number, it's a Samsung BD-P1580.

I just tried checking myself, only info I can find is that it originally doesn't support 3D discs, can't find anything about if that changes with firmware updates but I do have the most current one anyway.