NEurope
Beast

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2

I cannot describe how much I cracked up at this statement.

I have a degree in English Literature.

:D

I gotta admit, I cringed myself when I read that again. Such a moronic comparison!

:woops:

But you know what I meant. It's overrated, within it's genre.

Oh, by the way, what exactly can you do with an English Literature degree? Not having a go at you, it's just I'd love to get one, as the english language produced 60% of my fav writers but only if it actually serves a purpose, as I've already got a degree.

I think you're expecting too much of HP though, they're primarily children's books written with children in mind as the main audience.

I suppose it's understandable to want more from them though because the world she created is so much better than the story she told.

That's basically it!

The fact that I grew up with it kind of helps to understand why I was so let down by it, as does the fact that halfway through I actually started reading seriously good material... still, it's such a disappointing finale.

I saw this on Thursday!

It was a highly amusing film. :D

Firstly Hermione in Bellatrix's outfit. :heart:

Isla, the greatest scene in the history of cinema. Hermione as Bellatrix Lestrange. You have Helena Bonham Carter acting like hermione trying to act like Bellatrix under polyjuice potion complete with emma watsons voice cutest thing ever.

Snapes death was lulz. OM NOM NOM SNAKE. Nagini proper went to town on his neck. :heh:

Voldemort is probably the least scariest/threatening villain of all time. Even when he is walking through thick goblin blood at gringotts. Such a joke character. He is so camp throughout the entire film. I love his laugh at the end when he thinks he has one. So chuffed with himself. Plust the Awkward voldemort hug, too funny.

When he exploded or whatever was cool because you saw bits of his skin flake back down to the ground.

Neville is a huge moron. Go back to bed you idiot.

Ginny is so useless, bellatrix should have ended her life. Poor Bellatrix gets killed. SADDEST MOMENT. :(

HERO OF THE FILM: Draco's mum, could have said he wasn't dead but kept it a secret. Pro woman.

I wanted the battle scenes to be bigger and griphook to be more menacing in his demeanour.

Snapes reconstructed face too make him look younger was well distracting he looked like a puppet.

Oh yeah and when they are in the white room, I see something under that bench. I was like wtf is dumbledore doing under the bench he best not be naked!!? :p

NOPE just a tiny voldemort baby spewing blood dying under the bench no worries. If that was Voldemort throughout the film then he'd be terrifying.

They looked so stupid in the 19 years later.

Yeah probably the best one. Despite the ending sucking but that is because of the book and the film copied out fine. whatever. :grin:

HERO OF THE FILM: Draco's mum, could have said he wasn't dead but kept it a secret. Pro woman.

She only did that because Harry confirmed Draco was alive and safe. If Draco was dead she wouldn't give two shits.

The last two films confirm what pussies the entire Malfoy family are. I had high hopes for Jason Isaacs being one badass, but as soon as Voldemort returns he forgets to shave and looks like he's about to shit himself. Along with all the other Death Eaters.

The pr0'est villian in this movie is Goyle. Taking shit from noone and dying in a literal blaze of glory.

Came across this online which is quite clever/amusing:

hp-anime-full.jpg

I can't quite work out who two people are though - the purple with in the middle right, and the man or woman in glasses on the middle left. And Wormtail seems to be missing, which is a pity. And I'm not sure about the lower house elf - I'd guess Dobby or Winky, but then it'd be wearing clothes.

Top to bottom, and from right to left: Voldemort, Bellatrix Lestrange, Lucius Malfoy, Narcissa Malfoy, Draco Malfoy, Nagini, Regulus Black, Kreacher, Molly Weasley, Arthur Weasley, Charlie Weasley, Bill Weasley, Fleur Weasley, Ginny Weasley, Percy Weasley, Fred Weasley, George Weasley, Professor McGonagall, Unknown (possible Dolores Umbridge, but she's in with the goodies suggesting otherwise), Tonks, Unknown house elf, Hagrid, Unknown, Neville Longbottom, Luna Lovegood, Severus Snape, Remus Lupin, Sirius Black, Lily Potter, James Potter, Hermione Granger, Ron Weasley, Harry Potter, Dumbledore. Showing some geekery here I think! :heh:

Anime Harry Potter aside, I've yet to see the film, but hopefully should some time this week.

Edited by Supergrunch

Just seen the film. My main complaint is the same as other films in the saga: why introduce mysteries and not explain them properly? This has been consistent since the 3rd film, it makes it very hard to judge whether I should recommend a film for non-fans or not.

The other complaint is more specific, and it literally made me facepalm in the theatre:

"Harry, what are you going to do with the ungodly power of that Elderwand, now that you own it?"

*snap*

"Okay, then"

The almighty Elderwand, one of the most powerful artifacts in the world... is easily snapped by an exhausted teenager. So anti-climactic, it hurts.

Besides that, brilliant adaptation. The climactic scenes were so much better than what J.K. Rowling tried to do in the books. I am not disappointed. (except for really minor shit that I pictured/interpreted differently, but I'm not that pedantic)

@Supergrunch: Brilliant picture. I am in awe.

Also, I'm assuming the lady in purple is the Herbology teacher (forgot her name) and the man in glasses is either Flitwick or Ollivander.

The almighty Elderwand, one of the most powerful artifacts in the world... is easily snapped by an exhausted teenager. So anti-climactic, it hurts.

That actually made sense... he's it's master and commander, it will bend to his will and no one else's.

That actually made sense... he's it's master and commander, it will bend to his will and no one else's.

Still, for such an important and hyped artifact, giving it such a quick and mundane ending just feels wrong. Opinions and all that, I know...

I think the same. It makes it all seem less magical, like when yet another person says they should have just shot Voldemort. Perfectly fine suggestion, but you'd like to think he has some defence against something so simple.

Still, for such an important and hyped artifact, giving it such a quick and mundane ending just feels wrong. Opinions and all that, I know...

Yeah. Seemed a bit of a pointless scene, like tacked on to tie up to a loose end rather than serving much to the ending.

Anyway, I watched it yesterday, I'm sure I have little to add that hasn't been said by now, but it was okay, didn't really get into it, might have enjoyed it more if I'd rewatched all the others in the runup but I didn't. Too much battles, bit too lord of the rings, wasn't enough time with any of the characters on their own for any emotional catharsis.

Apart from McGonnagel, however you spell it - her duel with Snape was a genuine stunner. Maggie Smith acting her heart out, even with so little screentime.

Too many cringe moments too. Oh well.

Overall, pretty good, looked like a complete treat, especially on a HD cinema screen (I can never go back now), but I prefered part 1. Slower, more measured and interesting.

Also: I just read through the debate on the prior page.

Oxygen, I'd argue that you're missing the point of the series of books. Surely where Rowling truely succeeds, and succeeds as perhaps no other author has done, is in making such an incredibly detailed and imaginative world (albeit one that borrows elements from other sources and fictions - but hey, this is a series written for children - borrowing from mythologies and fictions can hardly be faulted). The plot, in many ways, is secondary to the scope and detail of the wizarding world, and particularly of Hogwarts itself. The 'addictive' nature of the books doesn't lie in the plot, I always much preferred the stunning day to day goings on of Hogwarts, which taps into the experiences of every teenager at secondary school, and thus of coming of age.

What makes the books great is for me the way that she's succeeded in making a world that is so huge, universally engrossing, and crucially, appealing. Every 11 year old who read the books were all secretly gutted to not have received an invitation to Hogwarts, after all.

Also:

Isla, the greatest scene in the history of cinema. Hermione as Bellatrix Lestrange. You have Helena Bonham Carter acting like hermione trying to act like Bellatrix under polyjuice potion complete with emma watsons voice cutest thing ever.

Yess.

The best post.

The pr0'est villian in this movie is Goyle. Taking shit from noone and dying in a literal blaze of glory.

Yess. Big love.

Everyone I would have gone to see this with has already gone so I won't see this. And no one I know buys these films on DVD so I may never see it. OH WELL

And no one I know buys these films on DVD so I may never see it. OH WELL

Buy it youself you cheap git.

Came across this online which is quite clever/amusing:

hp-anime-full.jpg

I can't quite work out who two people are though - the purple with in the middle right, and the man or woman in glasses on the middle left. And Wormtail seems to be missing, which is a pity. And I'm not sure about the lower house elf - I'd guess Dobby or Winky, but then it'd be wearing clothes.

Top to bottom, and from right to left: Voldemort, Bellatrix Lestrange, Lucius Malfoy, Narcissa Malfoy, Draco Malfoy, Nagini, Regulus Black, Kreacher, Molly Weasley, Arthur Weasley, Charlie Weasley, Bill Weasley, Fleur Weasley, Ginny Weasley, Percy Weasley, Fred Weasley, George Weasley, Professor McGonagall, Unknown (possible Dolores Umbridge, but she's in with the goodies suggesting otherwise), Tonks, Unknown house elf, Hagrid, Unknown, Neville Longbottom, Luna Lovegood, Severus Snape, Remus Lupin, Sirius Black, Lily Potter, James Potter, Hermione Granger, Ron Weasley, Harry Potter, Dumbledore. Showing some geekery here I think! :heh:

Anime Harry Potter aside, I've yet to see the film, but hopefully should some time this week.

Professor Sprout by Professor McGonagall

Mr. Ollivander by Neville Longbottom

Dobby is the unknown house elf (judging that the picture would be made from the movies since Dobby wore the same pillowcase and just wore socks and trainers)

That is such an awesome picture, I love it!

Edited by Animal