N-Europe

Ghetto Engineering

Goafer

So I created a bit of ghetto camera equipment today. I got 2 windscreen removal handles, some plumbing pipe and a handfull of bolts and made myself this:

268126_10150706641385341_687920340_19725204_4992917_n.jpg

It's a camera rig for sticking to cars. The handles are what can only be described as "retard strong", so the camera is going nowhere. Total price: About £30.

I've added a bit of rubber between the tripod head and the pipe to stop any unwanted turning. It's still not great, but it will do for low car speed, long shutter speed movement shots. Once I can afford a proper camera rig (£200ish for the one they use to film car shots in Top Gear) I'll be upgrading, but this will do for now.

Anyone else got any ghetto projects? I made a ghetto panorama tripod head not too long back, but I posted that elsewhere.

Great! I’d like to see (test) footage! ;)

Slightly similar, but a low budget solution to filming out of the carwindow is to use a bag of rice to steady your camera. Or so I’ve heard.

But again, I’d love to see how your rig performs.

I'd say you need some kind of covering for the camera as well, if it's set on a moving car.

It's not going to be used when the car is moving fast since I'm fairly sure the law will frown on it! It's mainly going to be used in car parks or similar locations where I can move the car slowly and don't have to concentrate on avoiding traffic as much.

Although the camera would probably be quite safe. It's not like car bonnets get regularly covered in stones or anything. If they did, they'd have a lot more stone chips. One a year or so would be my guess so odds are good. If I was going to use it to mount the camera down near the wheels I'd take more precautions though.