Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Football Season 2011/2012

flameboy

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gah, the bastards, at their ground as well.

That's quite a third round tie. I hope we annihilate them...

Also, Arsenal vs Leeds. That's very interesting. Two great games to look forward to.

Also also, this Tottenham vs Arsenal debate is interesting. I'm waiting for the inevitable "NO YOU/NO U" comment to come. Soon.

The Spurs v Arsenal debate in one sentence.

Arsenal have been better for the entire history of football apart from the beginning of this season. :p

Buttt,

I would argue that the Spurs team has been on at least a par with the Arsenal team for a season or two already.

It's clear that Spurs have a great team and squad already and that Arsenal are trying to rebuild one. Hell, I would say they've been trying to rebuild one since Henry left.

Also, sorry to hear about Lucas.

The Spurs v Arsenal debate in one sentence.

Arsenal have been better for the entire history of football apart from the beginning of this season. :p

True. The fact we were the first team to the double, the first British team to win a European trophy, the fact we had won more fa cups than anyone else before the premier league came along...yeah, throughout history!! :D

What European competition are you struggling to qualify from again?

Struggling? We're out? Bit gutted but to be honest it'll help our league form :) Well finish 2nd and win the fa cup instead!

When a player is wrongly sent off, the game has been swung in favour of the team with the extra man. [Especially when the team with 11 men are already winning] True or false?

True! What's your point? I just don't know how you're trying to use this as a way to knock us!

We deserve to be out seeing as we treated the tournament with such disdain. We could have won it as well, but it's not worth losing form in the league.

Yeah, we were favourites, shame really. Oh well. Fa cup will do!

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/spurs-title-ambitions-are-fit-for-a-king-6271409.html?

Great read this Dazzy.

I don't know if you listen to The Fighting Cock Spurs Podcast (you should if you don't) but they raised an interesting question: who, if any, of our players now would get in an all-time Spurs 11? I would suggest Ledley, and then maybe Bale.

No, but the guy who runs is on the forum I go on. I listen to the spurs show though. Is that a good one then, might give it a try!

No, but the guy who runs is on the forum I go on. I listen to the spurs show though. Is that a good one then, might give it a try!

Definitely give it a try. It's just real Spurs talk. I don't know if you've heard of Dear Mr Levy, Teh Trunk, or Windy's blog, but those bloggers all contribute to the podcast. Really funny stuff as well.

True! What's your point? I just don't know how you're trying to use this as a way to knock us!

Now that you finally agree the ref swung the game your way. We can discuss the decision like adults. The only thing I was knocking was the sweeping statements about how brilliant you were excluding the fact Bolton were wrongly reduced to 10 men.

Now that you finally agree the ref swung the game your way. We can discuss the decision like adults. The only thing I was knocking was the sweeping statements about how brilliant you were excluding the fact Bolton were wrongly reduced to 10 men.

Doesn't change the fact we battered them with and without them being a player down. At one point in the game the stats box popped up with 'last ten minutes possession, 100% Tottenham'. We had a great game regardless.

Edited by spirited away

It didn't swing anythinng, because the game was already one sided. Did it make it even easier? Yeah of course. But actually it took an edge off us, think we would have won more if it was 11v11.

And we were brilliant, before and after the sending off. In fact we've been brilliant most of the season! Bias I may be, but A LOT of neautrals and pundits seem to be in agreement!

Ps please don't bring any of this up if you finish above us or/and our season gets derailed later on :)

Lets put it into real perspective. Bolton are in big trouble. They've played badly all season, had a tough fixture list to start with and they've got a problem with not scoring enough goals. (plus conceding too many) It also looks like their best centre-half will probably be off to another club sooner rather than later.

Its to be expected that Tottenham would beat Bolton at home. Its even more expected now that they would beat them by more than one goal and with a good performance.

In all honesty, I don't think Bolton would have got anything from the game anyway. They were already losing when going a man down, but you never know. I like them, I really do, but they are in real trouble.

Who knows. Maybe next week, a decision will go against Spurs and cost them a game, and we can all discuss then whether Spurs would have won or not. Its hypothetical. The decision has been made, you just have to roll with it. However hard it is.

Definitely give it a try. It's just real Spurs talk. I don't know if you've heard of Dear Mr Levy, Teh Trunk, or Windy's blog, but those bloggers all contribute to the podcast. Really funny stuff as well.

Yeah I know the dear my levy one, spooky we does it posts on glory-glory. Not as funny since we became good, less things to satire :)

Lets put it into real perspective. Bolton are in big trouble. They've played badly all season, had a tough fixture list to start with and they've got a problem with not scoring enough goals. (plus conceding too many) It also looks like their best centre-half will probably be off to another club sooner rather than later.

Its to be expected that Tottenham would beat Bolton at home. Its even more expected now that they would beat them by more than one goal and with a good performance.

In all honesty, I don't think Bolton would have got anything from the game anyway. They were already losing when going a man down, but you never know. I like them, I really do, but they are in real trouble.

Who knows. Maybe next week, a decision will go against Spurs and cost them a game, and we can all discuss then whether Spurs would have won or not. Its hypothetical. The decision has been made, you just have to roll with it. However hard it is.

Literally all I'm saying is we played really well. Regardless of how bad Bolton were, the general passing, movement and work rate was brilliant.

As Tottenham fans, we're not getting carried away. We're playing great football atm, and are on a terrific run, so why not enjoy it while it lasts! :)

Literally all I'm saying is we played really well. Regardless of how bad Bolton were, the general passing, movement and work rate was brilliant.

As Tottenham fans, we're not getting carried away. We're playing great football atm, and are on a terrific run, so why not enjoy it while it lasts! :)

Oh, that's fine. But, you also have to realise that the better you do, the more that will become expected of you. If Spurs get into the top 4 now and the year after, it'll become the expected thing for them to do, every season from then on.

It's a good place to be for you guys right now. But, it's very, very hard to maintain.

The biggest issue for you guys is expanding on the squad and keeping the right players. Bale and Modric. You need those two and then you need to keep bringing in players like Van Der Vaart and Adebayor. And Parker! You did a wonderful thing by keeping Modric, and that's when I knew Spurs meant business.

Oh, that's fine. But, you also have to realise that the better you do, the more that will become expected of you. If Spurs get into the top 4 now and the year after, it'll become the expected thing for them to do, every season from then on.

It's a good place to be for you guys right now. But, it's very, very hard to maintain.

The biggest issue for you guys is expanding on the squad and keeping the right players. Bale and Modric. You need those two and then you need to keep bringing in players like Van Der Vaart and Adebayor. And Parker! You did a wonderful thing by keeping Modric, and that's when I knew Spurs meant business.

This is why this season is so massive for us. I think if we finish in the top 4 this season (it's conceivable we could finish anywhere from 2nd-6th this season), then we'll have a good chance of keeping our best players.

Its going to be very hard for anyone this season. There's too many teams that want to get into the Champions League and not enough places. You have United, City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea + Spurs. I know Newcastle are fairly up there now, but I don't think they have the squad to do it.

It's a shame that Everton are not up there. They have the right manager but no money whatsoever. I feel for them.

Arsenal honours - 13 first division titles, 10 FA Cups, 2 league cups.

Spurs honours - 2 first division titles, 8 FA Cups, 4 league cups.

Results - Arsenal 71 wins, Spurs 53 wins, 47 draws.

Looks pretty clear to me. ;)

----------

Preston and Villa won the double before Spurs did.

Arsenal honours - 13 first division titles, 10 FA Cups, 2 league cups.

Spurs honours - 2 first division titles, 8 FA Cups, 4 league cups.

Results - Arsenal 71 wins, Spurs 53 wins, 47 draws.

Looks pretty clear to me. ;)

----------

Looks pretty clear that they haven't been the better club every year since the inception of the football league. I'm not sure if you were joking when you said that?

Can we leave discussion of the South London swamp-dwellers for a while? :wink:

Looks pretty clear that they haven't been the better club every year since the inception of the football league. I'm not sure if you were joking when you said that?

Can we leave discussion of the South London swamp-dwellers for a while? :wink:

Obviously not every year, but the majority. :)

Okaaaaay. :hug:: peace::laughing:

But that's just it, you are getting carried away. Can't remember who said it earlier in the thread but you certainly were never favourites for the Europa league, no matter how little you cared about it. Arsenal have finished ahead of Spurs every single year, qualified from the group stages of the UCL every year. Unfortunately we haven't won trophies lately but that's consistency that no other club can claim. That's also the reasoning Arsenal fans can reel off when it comes to who's the better/bigger club debate. Tottenham fans seem to be basing theirs of 14 games.

But that's just it, you are getting carried away. Can't remember who said it earlier in the thread but you certainly were never favourites for the Europa league, no matter how little you cared about it. Arsenal have finished ahead of Spurs every single year, qualified from the group stages of the UCL every year. Unfortunately we haven't won trophies lately but that's consistency that no other club can claim. That's also the reasoning Arsenal fans can reel off when it comes to who's the better/bigger club debate. Tottenham fans seem to be basing theirs of 14 games.

The bookies made us favourites after the Paok away game (could be wrong about that one) so what Dazzy said was correct.

All I've said is that we've got the better team at the moment, which is true (the first time in a long while).

We'll always be the 'better' club regardless of club honours, let's make that crystal clear ;).

Yeah, Spurs WERE favourites for the tournament until we lost last week. As spirited said, I meant with the bookies.

As for the double. Pre 20th century doesn't count :P

Let's see shall we, long way to go and all that. Though I'm surprised Liverpool are still being mentioned with regards to 4th, fulham winning tonight should put an end to that, but for me they've never been in with a shout; WAY too average!

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!