NEurope
flameboy

Football Season 2011/2012

Strongly linked with Fenerbahçe's left back Andre Santos, also talk of interest in Dortmund's Mario Götze, which seems very unlikely.

I was expecting the Park Chu-Young deal to be finished by now, so maybe they've got some other striker in mind.

Yeah, just seen the Santos rumour a minute ago. Don't think the Gotze one will happen, personally.

Chu-Young will end up going. The deals take time to finalise, but you probably will hear something tomorrow. Unless Wenger calls that one off, as he's received a bit of stick for it.

I posted the Cascarino holocaust comment on YouTube just after it happened

Has had 28000 views in one day - it was a stupid comment to make and it really didn't make any sense as there were so many better words he could have used. Yes I know holocaust is a word in the English language and the PC brigade are overreacting. The vid I posted has been linked to by a load of newspaper websites like the Guardian and the Mirror.

Am wondering if I should just delete the video :/

Haha I saw this on whoateallthepies last night, cool it was you uploaded it.

They are don't appear to like him much.

I know they’ll be a few of you who will use the ‘literal dictionary definition’ defense, but can we all just agree on one thing – Cascarino is a semi-literate turd, and he’s never been an Irishman

Gotze is brilliant, would be an immense signing, but I also don't see it happening at all. Benayoun is quality, he's so underrated.

According to L'Equipe we're close to finalising a deal for Mertesacker. Link.

I think we've got a hectic two days ahead of us.

Gotze is brilliant, would be an immense signing, but I also don't see it happening at all. Benayoun is quality, he's so underrated.

I don't mind him but I was neverly particulalry fond of him either :hmm: I actually don't really want him back at Liverpool, particularly not in a swap deal with Raul Meireles :sad:

According to L'Equipe we're close to finalising a deal for Mertesacker. Link.

I think we've got a hectic two days ahead of us.

Would be a handy deal, rumors are that up to eight players may join before the deadline. Realistically don't see eight joining but may get a few in, Gotze is brilliant but it won't happen. Mertesaker I could see joining but I don't know is he is quite the player to partner Vermarlen (sp?), he will protect against an aerial bombardments but his lack of pace would have made Sunday's debacle even worse.I would think Wenger would only go for him over someone with PL experience if he was available below £10M, then again a experienced defender is an experienced defender and 75 caps for his country is quite impressive for a 26 year old.

The most likely (aside from Park but he's been mentioned before) looks to be the finalization of the Andre Santos deal. It would worry me that the Brazilian first choice left back is only worth an apparent £7M, then again they also have Kleber and Gilberto in the Brazilian team so that tells you everything about their team selection. Still Arsenal need bodies and a left back certainly would help.

Anyway back to United, I can't talk about Arsenal for too long without invoking horrific vomiting, and this really is just for @Fierce_LiNk it seems that Macheda might be off to Newcastle on a loan deal. Would be much happier seeing him playing than on the bench and he does need PL experience to push him to the next level. We can see how invaluable that is with the examples of Evans/Welbeck/Cleverley. Howevere I don't think Newcastle is the place for him, we know what happens when we send Italians there. Then again that was a different time, Santon is arriving (another Italian) and Obertan and Simpson are there so he might get more playtime there than at Sunderland where he has Gyan, Wickham, that Korean fella and Campbell all competing for those forward positions. He defiantly needs a loan though.

Edit: Since reading further I have found that I was correct in my assumption that Park Chu-young will have to do military service. The quite from his agent is;

"Could you imagine how a player from Monaco could refuse such a club?

"As he should come back to his native Korea later in 2013 for military duties, this could be his last contract in Europe.

"When Arsene Wenger directly calls a player and asks him to join Arsenal, it is difficult to refuse."

So you will get two years from him.

Edited by Fresh

So... in South Korea all males have to serve in the military for a spell?

I don't think Ji Sung Park has.

EDIT - He was exempt after the 2002 world cup.... is that based to the fact the squad finished 4th?

Never knew about the military thing.

Although we may be a club in a bit of a crisis at the moment, I am enjoying these last couple of days of the transfer window more than usual. Mertesacker will be a quality signing and Santos looks pretty good too. Lots of rumours about Gotze, also read one saying we are gonna buy Kaka from Madrid. Any of the several Chelsea players linked to us would also strengthen us.

Also, wtf are Man City doing signing Owen Hargreaves??!?!?

Chu-Young Park / Park Chu-Young, whichever way he prefers has been announced on Arsenal.com, deal done just waiting for paper work to be finalised.

Source:Arsenal.com

That takes care of one deal today, would love to see us wrap up Santos and Mertesacker today. Then we can concentrate on a big deal tomorrow. (That last part is me being hopeful of making a marquee signing)

Hargeaves is one lucky bastard. He will be on massive wages and lets face it, It's a matter of time before he gets injured and gets paid for being sat on his arse. If Citeh were slightly smart they'd offer him a pay-as-you-play contract.

Absolutely delighted with Mertreacker, he's a genuine World Class player in a position we desperately need someone of that status in. You don't win 75 caps for Germany at his age without having something. Can't say I know too much about Santos but I echo similar feelings, you don't win 20+ caps for Brazil without a little talent, it's also good to see the squad getting older. I know even less about Part but i've heard only good things.

I have to say as an Arsenal fan, we've all been frustrated at the lack of signings but it's going a little mental at the moment. Not that i'm complaining of course, every time I refreshed the BBC website today there was another story about us signing someone.

I just about shat myself when I read about Goetze, very much doubt it would happen but what a signing that would be.

Hargeaves is one lucky bastard. He will be on massive wages and lets face it, It's a matter of time before he gets injured and gets paid for being sat on his arse. If Citeh were slightly smart they'd offer him a pay-as-you-play contract.

I can't imagine it being anything other than a pay-as-you-play deal. Otherwise it's pure madness.

I've just seen on BBC that QPR are ready to make an £11m offer for Crouch. I wouldn't give them £1.1m for him. If i was Spurs i'd bite their hand off.

Haha, QPR. Richest club in the world but none of the brains behind the cash. But 11m is like pocket money to them.

This Wikipedia article details the clubs owners, found it pretty interesting. People bang on about Citeh's wealth, yet look at those who own 33% of QPR. Worth over £30b, nearly £10b more than Citeh. :p

QPR need to be careful panic buying with their money (if you can call it that). All they need to do is buy enough to stay up this year then totally rebuild (if they want) for next year using the monies. Prob see the manager out the door too, not a fan of him myself and think he could have the Mark Hughes syndrome of lots of money and not knowing what to do with it.

Sunderland put in a cheeky bid for Crouch at 10m. Interesting that the other day Harry was saying how they need a new striker then today saying we are overloaded in that area, he can go if he wants. Bye Crouch.

Edited by Platty

Would be a handy deal, rumors are that up to eight players may join before the deadline. Realistically don't see eight joining but may get a few in, Gotze is brilliant but it won't happen. Mertesaker I could see joining but I don't know is he is quite the player to partner Vermarlen (sp?), he will protect against an aerial bombardments but his lack of pace would have made Sunday's debacle even worse.I would think Wenger would only go for him over someone with PL experience if he was available below £10M, then again a experienced defender is an experienced defender and 75 caps for his country is quite impressive for a 26 year old.

The most likely (aside from Park but he's been mentioned before) looks to be the finalization of the Andre Santos deal. It would worry me that the Brazilian first choice left back is only worth an apparent £7M, then again they also have Kleber and Gilberto in the Brazilian team so that tells you everything about their team selection. Still Arsenal need bodies and a left back certainly would help.

Anyway back to United, I can't talk about Arsenal for too long without invoking horrific vomiting, and this really is just for @Fierce_LiNk it seems that Macheda might be off to Newcastle on a loan deal. Would be much happier seeing him playing than on the bench and he does need PL experience to push him to the next level. We can see how invaluable that is with the examples of Evans/Welbeck/Cleverley. Howevere I don't think Newcastle is the place for him, we know what happens when we send Italians there. Then again that was a different time, Santon is arriving (another Italian) and Obertan and Simpson are there so he might get more playtime there than at Sunderland where he has Gyan, Wickham, that Korean fella and Campbell all competing for those forward positions. He defiantly needs a loan though.

Edit: Since reading further I have found that I was correct in my assumption that Park Chu-young will have to do military service. The quite from his agent is;

So you will get two years from him.

Macheda going on loan in the league would be great. I'd like for him to go somewhere like Everton, as they need a striker. Would rather he spends time on loan within this league rather than abroad.

About Hargreaves: He is a great player, seems like a nice lad and just wants to play football. Unfortunately for him, he has some of the worst knees in the business and has been so unlucky with injuries. Him and Ledley King should both be international regulars, and Hargreaves has shown that he is a great defensive midfielder, who can also perform well on the right wing, or even at right-back as he has done for United.

If he goes to City, I wouldn't begrudge him that. He's trying to re-start his career, and if City are giving him an opportunity, then he should take it. However, at the same time, I don't think he'll get many games there, with their current squad. So, the rumoured move to somewhere like West Brom would maybe be more beneficial. I think part of him thinks if he can play at City, he can play in Europe, meaning he can have more of a shout of playing for England again. He's much less likely to get an England call-up playing for West Brom, unfortunately.

Sebastian Coates is now confirmed as a Liverpool player with Joe Cole and Christian Poulsen on the way out. Ngog could be on his way to Bolton too.

We've done some great business in this transfer window :hehe:

Good signing. You needed a centre-back, so it makes sense to sign one. Carragher is getting on.

Also, I can't help but laugh at Arsenal's sudden transfer activity. So now there are players available. Mertersacker is a good player and will probably do well at Arsenal. I was talking to an Arsenal fan at work and he was tearing his hair out. He pointed out that all/most of the other teams have signed their players early and had a pre-season together and they're leaving it late, why?

Coz Arsenal are copying Liverpool's model of last year, and everyone knows how successful that was.

Coz Arsenal are copying Liverpool's model of last year, and everyone knows how successful that was.

Hodgson's Liverpool or Kenny's? :heh:

Hodgson's Liverpool or Kenny's? :heh:

I think a Man Utd fan even knows the answer to that :p

EDIT: Completely missed your sarcasm...

I think a Man Utd fan even knows the answer to that :p

EDIT: Completely missed your sarcasm...

:laughing:

Just seen your edit now. :heh:

Arsenal just seem to have been forced into action by how poor their start has been. I reckon the board has seen that a top 4 finish and the Champion's League revenue is no longer a guarantee so have had to act..

I still think they may struggle to get up there this season!

Arsenal just seem to have been forced into action by how poor their start has been. I reckon the board has seen that a top 4 finish and the Champion's League revenue is no longer a guarantee so have had to act..

I still think they may struggle to get up there this season!

How could they not have seen it coming? Fabregas has been wanting to leave for a long time, Nasri stated well in advance that he wanted to leave and the club finished 4th last year. Surely they would have realised it would be hard to get 4th place having less players.

Just seems like bad planning. It's good that they're finally getting some players in, but it could have been done much sooner.