Terraria

drahkon

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...

Boomp.

So some of you will recall how much I loved this on PC - caved today and decided to grab the PS4 version as it's only £4 on PSN atm and I thought why not at that - not had a chance to actually play much but was just wondering for those who've played both are there any major differences between this and the PC version(which I played rather a while back now)?

I havent played enough of the PS4 version to say how far behind (if at all) they are with the updates but I definitely think it controls better on PC. I wasnt a fan of using a controller with it.

Played a bit of a chunk this morning - forgot about some of the updates they'd put in compared to my original play through on PC. Whilst I'd definitely say the cursor/mouse and some of the inventory controls felt better/easier with PC, there's something about the pad that I find a bit more comfortable for character controls. Having said that I haven't done tons beyond mining/collecting/exploring, so it may come to a fight where I fail miserably, and I'm already missing some hotkeys as it is.

Still...loving Terraria. Don't know if I'd say it's as good for me as the PC version despite the above - but having it on my PS4 makes it quite handy and I can foresee me getting a decent playthrough out of it again. Maybe I'll actually take on hardmode properly for once this time...

Another bump, as I'm totally smacked out on this again(played from about 7pm til like 4am last night, this damn game!) - but I was wondering for anyone who played the console versions;

Other than pumps, are there any good/easy ways to duplicate liquids? I've been looking on tinternets, but they seem more PC specific. The J/U drain thing doesn't work particularly well as 'clicking' isn't rapid, and filling the bucket actually seems to create a new item that you then pick up; slowing everything down and just making it generally quite pathetic. I tried a couple other things/methods I found but they didn't seem terribly effective, so I'm not sure if they're old version things that were fixed or if I'm just doing them wrong...

My world also seems to have crimson but isn't spawning any vicious mushrooms yet(in place of vile mushrooms for corruption) not sure if it's a glitch or a condition thing, but it's a bit annoying as I want to eventually fight the brain a lot!

• 2 months later...

Fired this up the other day for I can't recall why(think I just didn't feel up to playing anything else) and it seems that the console version got an update last week! Not sure all the changes, apparently equivalent to one of the PC versions, but they now have palm trees on the beach and the Angler NPC+fishing. Makes me happy knowing they're still supporting the game and there's still a wealth of content to come(PC's major update work coming is around wiring and mechanics, and the consoles I presume will continually be updated to bring to par of PC versions, albeit on significant delay).

EDIT: Apparently equivalent to this 1.2.4 PC update http://terraria.gamepedia.com/1.2.4 -(not sure it's 100% like for like though)

Edited by Rummy

I keep thinking I should get back to Terraria. Maybe I'll try again over Christmas.

It's one of those games where I just don't understand why I like playing it so much. I don't even play hard mode because I get so damn attached to my worlds(keep contemplating but never take the plunge, may well do so on my PS4 world as it's old of sorts now with the update). Would you be playing on PC or console? If I had a decent/regular PC+wireless setup I'd probs play that rather than the PS4 - but the PS4 has the ease of just being there, though it is about 18+ months behind any of the PC content, and even then some PC content is there that isn't on console from what I understand.

I've played the PC version to death in the game's early months.

After I bought the PS4 version I stopped playing it because I found the view to be zoomed out too much.

Only now have I realized that you can zoom in with the touch pad...

Think I'll become hooked to this again..especially with the recently released update...

Downloaded it again on my Vita, too : peace: It does have cross-save, doesn't it?

I've played the PC version to death in the game's early months.

After I bought the PS4 version I stopped playing it because I found the view to be zoomed out too much.

Only now have I realized that you can zoom in with the touch pad...

Think I'll become hooked to this again..especially with the recently released update...

Downloaded it again on my Vita, too : peace: It does have cross-save, doesn't it?

Pretty sure you can upload the characters/worlds to the cloud to get them again on other devices. I've only got the PS4 version though so may be mistaken.

Pretty sure you can upload the characters/worlds to the cloud to get them again on other devices.

Yup, this works : peace:

Played this a fair bit. Got a golden chest piece, a silver helmet and silver greaves. Found Starfury on a sky island :yay: Also got a Cloud in a Bottle - double jump ftw.

Acquiring a grappling hook isn't as difficult as it was years ago...no need to actually get a hook to drop from certain enemies. I was able to craft a saphire grappling hook with 15 saphires which were easier to come by than a hook...:D

Cave exploring just got a lot less dangerous.

Not sure if I'm ready to summon the first boss, yet...

Yeah I don't know when they did the upgrade that made hooks easier, but obviously a massive gamechanger. There's also a sub-biome/area somewhere that exists that has its own unique chest which often contains a very handy hook - excellent if you manage to find it early as a noob! Think that's how I got by when I started on ps4 - very quivkly moved towards getting the ivy whip when I could though. Also super shit but I never got a lucky horseshoe until like 4 worlds exploration(went specifically for it with the 3rd and 4th).

Think that's how I got by when I started on ps4 - very quivkly moved towards getting the ivy whip when I could though.

Oh, I remember the Ivy Whip. I need to find a jungle soon.

Think I'll create a small world for game progression, i.e. killing bosses, entering hard mode, etc.

Spotify + Terraria. Good times : peace:

Where you been getting your gold if you ain't been hitting jungle already? I usually just wait til I can make it there to mine lots! Seems to be so little underground etc. - though one thing I've always been bad for is making and using potions like spelunker etc to find stuff - probs should get myself decent setup with a farm and what not at some point, but I'm just too disorganised to bother.

Where you been getting your gold if you ain't been hitting jungle already?

Didn't need gold. Killed the Eater of Worlds first and got myself Shadow gear.

Need obsidian now to craft molten armor and I think after that I'll begin preparations for fighting Wall of Flesh. : peace:

Didn't need gold. Killed the Eater of Worlds first and got myself Shadow gear.

Need obsidian now to craft molten armor and I think after that I'll begin preparations for fighting Wall of Flesh. : peace:

Ahhh, I thought you said you had a gold chest piece! I also thought one of the silver bits was gold too - hence I'd presumed you was in the jungle where you can get quite a bit!

You seem to be progressing rather fast though! I wanna get back into it and properly get myself used to hardmoding worlds, I just end up getting so damn attached to them I don't bring myself to it. As for the obsidian that's also another annoying thing on PS4 - it seems liquid duplication/creation is much trickier - if you happen to find any decent methods of it somewhat en bulk then let me know! I can half manage it with water sometimes but it's much harder work for lava so far with me.

You seem to be progressing rather fast though! I wanna get back into it and properly get myself used to hardmoding worlds

Yeah, I've been focusing on getting good gear. Molten armor, molten pickaxe and molten hamaxe are mine now : peace:

Will create a new world to set up a "home-base" with NPCs, crafting stations, etc before entering hardmode on a different world.

I don't know anything about liquid duplication...To gather obsidian I basically just used a lava pool I found in a cave and let water (found somewhere above) flow into it.

Edited by drahkon

Yeah that's fair enough, a lot of what I ended up doing too whilst making my hellevators down to the thing. Maybe a sensible home world is what I need, as the explored worlds would make best sense for hardmoding. One of my problems is that my already explored worlds we made pre-update, so not sure if I might miss some content there. Do you ever bother trying to do much protection of the spawn/base for a hardmode world? I don't actually know how fast everything spreads, plus I think I saw that it slows down once you kill Plantera(which gives you the ability to do some more things, like go temple and unlock dungeon chests, but that's old content anyhow).

Do you ever bother trying to do much protection of the spawn/base for a hardmode world?

When I stopped playing the PC version, hardmode hasn't been out for long, so I never really got into it and learned its mechanics, so no...

I doubt I'll build a huge base for my hardmode world(s). I think I'll just use the world with my home base for everything.

With the recently released patch there are a lot of things I never even knew existed in the PC version :laughing: So no idea what that Plantera thingy is (except now I know it's a boss :D)