NEurope
drahkon

Terraria

Inspired by Minecraft. Not copying. Notch said this game looks awesome. So please no "boooooohhhhh, developers steal from Minecraft".

terraria.org

Here's a trailer:

And an official Let's Play played by the developers:

Doesn't look too bad. Has me intrigued.

boooooohhhhh, developers steal from Minecraft ;)

but seriously though, I'm really not bothered... this'll be another PC game that I'll likely never play, though if it brings enjoyment to many in the same way Minecraft does then that's great, really... I suspect that it's just not for me however. :)

Terraria, releasing Monday [May, 16th] for the PC, has regularly been compared to Minecraft for its similar approach to building and customizing the environment, its emphasis on gathering raw materials, item crafting and nighttime invaders. But Terraria takes a 16-bit-style sprite-based approach and keeps things purely in two-dimensions, with graphics that would look at home on the Super Nintendo.

There also appears to be a much larger priority placed on more frantic action compared to Minecraft, with crazy weapons and accessories like jetpacks and grappling hooks mixing up the 2D multiplayer gameplay.

[...]

Terraria is slated to hit Steam on Monday [May, 16th] (for $9.99 USD), with ports to iOS devices and the Xbox 360 currently under consideration.

kotaku.com

So, no one interested? :p

I watched my brother play this for a while today. His verdict (and mine, based on watching him): really dull, has none of the charm of Minecraft. Its one saving grace may be co-op, but the singleplayer really didn't seem fun at all.

Played 13 hours so far. Single player only. I enjoy it. More than Minecraft. ;)

I guess it's just not your type of game. For me Terraria with its focus on exploration is more fun than Minecraft with its focus on building.

The exploration in Terraria was really dull too. :heh:

Oh well. Different strokes.

Put 17 hours into the game so far and I won't stop. For 10 bucks. Nice.

Well, I guess there's still nobody playing this game here?

This game is just ridiculously awesome. Love it. The multiplayer is the dog's nads :D

Got myself full Molten today! Still get pwnd by the bosses in Single Player though.

Having recently entered into the steamy world of...uh...Steam, I keep seeing this as like an advert/front page thing, but know nothing about it. I know we've got the vids up top, but how would you guys describe/recommend it? Also I know like...nothing about minecraft.

This game is just ridiculously awesome. Love it.

Finally someone. :yay:

Got myself full Molten today! Still get pwnd by the bosses in Single Player though.

Molten armor is awesome. :) For the bosses you just have to have enough potions. Then it's a peace of cake. You might also try to get the Phoenix Blaster with Meteor Shots. Incredible gun which helps a lot with Eye of Cthulhu and Skeletron.

The update today is great, mainly because:

Right clicking and holding on a crafting recipe will craft multiple of the same item to a max of the stack and/or until you run out of materials.

I know we've got the vids up top, but how would you guys describe/recommend it? Also I know like...nothing about minecraft.

It shouldn't be compared to Minecraft. Yes, they do have similarities but they both have their emphasis on different aspects.

Terraria is more about exploration and less about building and with Minecraft it's the other way round.

Terraria is a 2D sidescroller. You mine stuff, you craft stuff, you explore stuff, you fight stuff and you build stuff.

If that's your cup of tea then you might give it a go.

Edited by drahkon

What are the implications? You need to mine stuff/craft stuff to explore stuff and so forth? Need to explore to craft/mine more and explore more? Whats the multiplayer all about?

Exploring is the main hook. You get a huge map (most of which is below the surface) to go adventuring in. Mining nets you the resources to craft the equipment to let you do more without getting your arse handed to you. Thankfully, it's not a grind. Mining happens as part of exploring, as you dig tunnels below the surface. Some times you're looking for specific materials, but even then it's all part of the adventure/exploration.

Basically, the game goes like this;

1. Wake up in a strange world.

2. Cut down trees, build shelter.

3. Craft basic equipment out of wood.

4. Start exploring/mining near your shelter.

5. Craft some better equipment from the resources you've gathered.

6. Explore further. Get more resources, different resources. Meet new enemies.

7. Craft better equipment.

And so on it goes until you've done all there is to do. The single player is good enough to hold the attention for a few days. The multiplayer is wicked though. Same as the single player, but you ain't alone. Adventuring together -> adventuring alone.

--------------

Obsidian is damn unfair stuff :p We had some annoying little shit in multiplayer earlier, he was destroying all the buildings, mines, etc. We walled him in with Obsidian. He lacked the gear to cut his way out. He quit after a few minutes of griefing/message spam.

Not to play the obvious card but..

1. Wake up in a strange world.

2. Cut down trees, build shelter.

3. Craft basic equipment out of wood.

4. Start exploring/mining near your shelter.

5. Craft some better equipment from the resources you've gathered.

6. Explore further. Get more resources, different resources. Meet new enemies.

7. Craft better equipment.

That sounds 100% identical to Minecraft :heh:

I am interested in this game - how does it differ to Minecraft? I get the impression it's more action based?

I am interested in this game - how does it differ to Minecraft? I get the impression it's more action based?

Lots more items/resources, lots more monsters, bosses.

Items include accessoires (e.g. Cloud in a Bottle - let's you double jump; Rocket Boots - let's you fly at the cost of mana...oh yeah, there's mana), weapons (swords, magic, guns), the usual set of tools, and more.

Different areas in the game, like dungeons (strong monsters, rarer items), floating islands (not much content there, yet, will change), and more.

Yes, it's more action based and fast paced.

Still, it's an early release. Many changes and new features to come (hopefully).

Edit: If you don't mind spoiling the experience go to the Terraria Wiki. Incomplete and not very precise so far, but it'll work.

Edited by drahkon

Hmm, might see how Magicka lasts me and consider picking this up for a giggle, only £6 can't be too bad(exactly why steam is dangerous, lol). Sort of but not related, does anyone know when they tend to have their summer sales?

hmmm think this looks awesome...but doubt it will run on my netbook so will old out for the ios version

hmmm think this looks awesome...but doubt it will run on my netbook so will old out for the ios version

It runs fine on my netbook (well, it's an Acer Aspire 1800tz, so a bit better than the usual netbooks).

Hmm, might see how Magicka lasts me and consider picking this up for a giggle, only £6 can't be too bad(exactly why steam is dangerous, lol). Sort of but not related, does anyone know when they tend to have their summer sales?

It's crazy. I see games in the shop for a fiver and think "That's expensive, gotta be careful". The moment it's on steam for £3.50 I'm all over it without thinking.

I've bought Mass Effect 1 and 2 in the sale recently despite owning them both on the 360. Seriously, why? What's wrong with me?

It runs fine on my netbook (well, it's an Acer Aspire 1800tz, so a bit better than the usual netbooks).

well mines pretty dated a samsung nc10 so I dunno. Damn there being no demo to try out.

Yeah, I think the one thing lacking is a demo, would really like to try it before I buy. NC10s aren't all that old now, are they? I'd imagine it could run it, though honestly I have nothing at all to base that on.

Lifted from Steam's page;

System Requirements

Processor: 1.6 Ghz

Memory: 512MB

Hard Disk Space: 200MB

Video Card: 128mb Video Memory, capable of Shader Model 1.1

DirectX®: 9.0c or Greater

Yeah, I think the one thing lacking is a demo, would really like to try it before I buy. NC10s aren't all that old now, are they? I'd imagine it could run it, though honestly I have nothing at all to base that on.

Lifted from Steam's page;

System Requirements

Processor: 1.6 Ghz

Memory: 512MB

Hard Disk Space: 200MB

Video Card: 128mb Video Memory, capable of Shader Model 1.1

DirectX®: 9.0c or Greater

See its the graphics card I don't have a clue about cos its some Intel integrated thingy.

Actually quick check proves it won't run;

Intel 945GSE Express integrated graphics chip with 64MB of shared memory.

Damn moving out of home and having no proper computer anymore!

If it doesn't run on the NC10 id be amazed. There's SNES games that make Terraria look pretty. A quick Google for 'Terraria NC10' suggests it can too (though I did t actually click a y of the results to check).

When you say the game will last for a few days, how many hours worth are we talking about? How easy is it to jump in/out of as well? This constantly being on Steam's front page is really making me want to buy it, but I'm looking for something a bit casual for my evenings when I'm home from work etc. Nothing too laborious like.

£3 for the next like...6 hours or something in today's bargains in the Steam sale, or £9 for a 4 pack. Just bought myself a copy, but I won't be able to play til later anyhow.