N-Europe

Insidious (Movie)

insidious-8699-poster-large.jpeg

So I know a fair few of us have seen this movie now and I feel there is a lot to discuss.

SPOILERS

First off, there were a few creative choices that I really liked. The violent violins and score in general was very old school and blood chillingly terrifying. Second off was the panning across the outside of the (houses), really nice shots, dynamic and distinctive. Third was how incredibly well the film did at building suspense. Really...really good.

It really was very scary in places (well in the first...half/three quarters), I liked the movement of the plot, it was reasonably fast placed and didn't seem to dwell all to much on non-happening-stuff.

So for the first three quarters or so of the movie it was really good, showing just glimpses of things and letting the imagination run wild. Particularly the first scene with the demon dude was super chilling.

insidious-trailer.jpg

I think thats a really good character design.

(Side note lol @ Jigsaw on the chalk board)

Anyway, and so that was good.

I didn't have too much of a problem with the ending.....I think because I was bracing myself for the worst. It is obviously a huge departure from the rest of the film which was all about subtly (for the most part) building tension and fear and fucking with your head (hard) but then to veer into this super-spiritual section just was a bit "......" considering it was pretty scary up until then and then it had the....like the family sitting in the house and then smiling, it really wasn't that scary at all.

The very ending I did like a lot though, although it looks like they'll line up for a sequel/franchise (ugh) but still a pretty good final scene/moment.

-------------

The other thing that felt more out of place than anything in the whole movie -- I found myself frowning intensely, my eyebrows so concentrated in a downward fashion at what was happening....I was just like "What...are you....fucking serious?" was the inclusion of the comedy duo ghost hunters.

What the fuck was that about. Most films...most films benefit from a little humour being injected into them. This is not one of those films and I was absolutely staggered that the film had (maybe "worked so hard") to achieve this heart pounding atmosphere, for that to be cut through so harshly with these two bafoons. It was an utter face palm moment.

--------------

So in closing, I feel that if they had have continued with the slowly building tension, and the (showing little) stuff (but show more of the demon gradually) then it could have gone down as a modern horror classic. Unfortunately the ending it had detracted a lot, and although the first half was close to fantastic....it lost it.

I still think it was a fairly great movie though, just with some odd decisions.

I'd probably say 6.5/10 if I had to stick a number on it.

I loved it but really disliked the ending. I don't hate it, I just dislike. The whole film was brilliant because it's rare Hollywood ever make a genuinely creepy movie that uses no blood, gore or flying body parts and Insidious is actually creepy. I also liked the story because it's quite different to what you usually get. It just deserved a much better ending than that 'twist'. It felt so different to the movie, like it didn't belong in the movie or like they were rushing it because they just wanted to end it as soon as possible. Overall though, I loved it and was genuinely creeped out and I loved how there was no blood or guts used to scare the audience so I give it a 7/10

I loved it but really disliked the ending. I don't hate it, I just dislike. The whole film was brilliant because it's rare Hollywood ever make a genuinely creepy movie that uses no blood, gore or flying body parts and Insidious is actually creepy. I also liked the story because it's quite different to what you usually get. It just deserved a much better ending than that 'twist'. It felt so different to the movie, like it didn't belong in the movie or like they were rushing it because they just wanted to end it as soon as possible. Overall though, I loved it and was genuinely creeped out and I loved how there was no blood or guts used to scare the audience so I give it a 7/10

I thought the red door could have been a bit more dirty/red because of blood rather than pristine paint.

I thought the red door could have been a bit more dirty/red because of blood rather than pristine paint.

I don't know why but I loved that touch. I loved how they didn't make it look used or old or anything. Also, that red-faced monster was creepy but that smiling family are the stuff nightmares are made of!

Yeah, so I skimmed enough to know I shouldn't read the posts ;). I was interested in it at the Imagine film festival but I completely missed it (the whole festival that is). I'll probably give it a go when it releases normally here.

• 3 weeks later...

Just saw this at the cinema... fuck me it was scary!

This is the first film I've ever seen that has properly shit me up, so it's definitely done something right.

I wasn't too keen on how they overplayed the demon at the end, all through the film it was very subtle, quick glimpses here and there. I feel it wouldn't have been more scary had they stuck to this. The twist at the end I saw coming, I never really believed the dad had returned to his body, still thought it was a good ending though.

Considering this is the first "scary" movie to actually scare me it gets a massive thumbs up!