N-Europe

Speed Runs Taken to a New Level

Debug Mode

So, one of the most popular aspects of late is to do crazy speed runs of old games (usually). With that in mind, many people miss out on seeing the majority of the craziest, so lets share our recent discoveries and favourites!

Just to get the ball rolling, I present to you:

Dude beats Super Mario Bros, Super Mario Bros 2, Super Mario Bros 3 and Super Mario Bros. The Lost Levels simultaneously.

Wait ... you're saying he's playing all four games at once? I'm sorry, utterly obliterating all four games at once? How is that possible?

Having all the emulators accepting the same input.. My brain hurts just watching it but it's all legit. How on earth he managed it is beyond me.

Overactive hippocampus? Obessive compulsive disorder? Tis a feat of incredible memory. Each level is the same every time you play in terms of the locations of the goombas etc, changing only to react to your inputs and responses. He must have a clear path worked out for every game, and then calculated what kind of input overlap there is in terms of the number of seconds and amount of times each button is pressed. Takes way more patience that an ordinary human being can muster. Of course, he may have slowed it down in order to play, and then sped it up to make it seem more fantastic.

Edited by The Bard

Overactive hippocampus? Obessive compulsive disorder? Tis a feat of incredible memory. Each level is the same every time you play in terms of the locations of the goombas etc, changing only to react to your inputs and responses. He must have a clear path worked out for every game, and then calculated what kind of input overlap there is in terms of the number of seconds and amount of seconds each button is pressed. Takes way more patience that an ordinary human being can muster. Of course, he may have slowed it down in order to play, and then sped it up to make it seem more fantastic.

It truly is amazing either way.

Overactive hippocampus? Obessive compulsive disorder? Tis a feat of incredible memory. Each level is the same every time you play in terms of the locations of the goombas etc, changing only to react to your inputs and responses. He must have a clear path worked out for every game, and then calculated what kind of input overlap there is in terms of the number of seconds and amount of seconds each button is pressed. Takes way more patience that an ordinary human being can muster. Of course, he may have slowed it down in order to play, and then sped it up to make it seem more fantastic.

Don't forget memory state tools (or whatever they're called) that enable him to go backwards if he makes a mistake.

Yeah this is tool-assisted, meaning he used an emulator to slow it down frame by frame in order to physically achieve the best possible time. He's not actually playing all those games in real time, although he is using the same imput for all four games simultaneously.

Still very impressive and great to watch. Here's an awesome TAS of Link's Awakening being completed in 4 minutes.

Regardless of it being tool assisted, it's still incredible. It's worth watching other TAS speed runs. There's some good ones for the Sonic games, OOT and Mario 64!

I knew I was missing a vital piece of information in the opening post..

Yeah, it is tool assisted. Also the reasons why some of the jumps aren't synchronised is dependant on situations such as his location, some characters already in the air, the different speeds each game does it etc.

But I have noticed that he must have a certain button that disables movements on every game but one. There are times when his directions don't match up with the other games, but it's still an incredible play through.

Haha that's insane, I love how TAS runs make most games seem absolutely broken.

The only run I've done like these is Pokemon Green in less than 10 minutes. It was only existent on the Japanese versions, but the main part of the speed run was abusing the fact the developers had not wrapped their codes up properly, enabling you to swap your starter Pokemon with the passage you get in the PokeMart for Professor Oak, leading to all kinds of crazy shit.

"The trick is that this is a tool-assisted speedrun — using emulators, save states, and running the games at a very slow pace, he was able to individually tweak and nudge each movement of the four Marios so that they would stay a hair’s breadth from danger. It’s still a remarkably impressive achievement when you consider the painstaking care that such a meticulous feat would require."