NEurope
ReZourceman

Spider-Man Edge of Time

Hmmmm.

4d94793018b70.jpg

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-03-31-spider-man-edge-of-time-announced

Shattered Dimensions developer Beenox has announced Spider-Man: Edge of Time, its second swing at the Marvel superhero franchise.

Due out in the Autumn for unconfirmed platforms, Edge of Time sees you taking control of both the classic Amazing Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2099. In a story by Marvel veteran Peter David, it seems that in one version of the future Peter Parker has got himself killed, so you'll need straddle time and space to put things rights.

A new "cause-and-effect" mechanic will let you see how your immediate actions as one version of Spider-Man impacts the timeline of the other.

"At Beenox, we are constantly listening to the fans and looking for new and creative ways to innovate the gameplay experience for them," said studio boss Dee Brown.

"We want to create a totally distinct experience in Spider-Man: Edge of Time by working with Peter David on the story and creating this urgent, high-stakes experience where time is working against you and the fate of Spider-Man hangs in the balance."

Beenox's first franchise run-out, Shattered Dimensions, launched back in 2010, winning a respectable 7/10 from Eurogamer.

"Shattered Dimensions isn't going to be cropping up on any Game of the Year lists, I'm guessing, but it's nice to see Spidey's caretakers finally showing a bit of ambition," wrote Christian Donlan.

"Any true believers left out there can file this one under 'pleasant surprise'."

What was the problem with Shattered Dimensions in people's view again?

Since they're still focusing on multiple universes I wonder if this will be better. It seems maybe they wanted to keep with the idea of multiple universes, but focus on interaction between them and put a greater focus on good storytelling.

Will that be enough though or was Shattered Dimensions weak gameplay wise?

Noir was shit, and Ultimate was a bit too similar to Amazing, so its cool that they've cut them out actually.

Shattered Dimensions was boring. That's what its problem was.

Myeah, it was pretty decent. It needs more fun swinging. It practically needs the fun free roaming and trick capabilities of Tony Hawks, mixed with cool and OTT combat and SHIT loads of villains. Like four bosses per level (but so many are crap, so its fine).

Basically hire me, and I'd be project manager of the best Spider-man game ever. :)

Basically hire me, and I'd be project manager of the best Spider-man game ever. :)

The current project managers probably have a similar approach to you. It's producers, studios, board members etc that probably ruin it.

"Yeah thats cool, but couldn't we have Wolverine in it? Maybe making you take a quiz about Marvel Comics which makes no sense, hampering your attempt to save the world for no reason?"

In fairness I think producers would just be saying "can we make it for less money", not trying to shoehorn in other characters :p

I've got shattered dimensions on my Rental list is it worth renting? People seem to be on a downer about it! I always thought it was meant to be alright.

Do they just not do the web swinging now?

Edited by Retro_Link

I've got shattered dimensions on my Rental list is it worth renting? People seem to be on a downer about it! I always thought it was meant to be alright.

I found it very boring and regretted buying it.

Overall i liked, however they were a lot of frustrating moments.

Could have been so much better! Worth a rental.

I didn't like Shattered Dimensions, felt like a bunch of tacked together second rate levels, the story was almost nonexistent. Best Spiderman games were the 2 on the PSOne, really liked them, felt like the old Spiderman cartoon from the 90s.

The best Spider-man games were... the Symbiote one on the snes. The GBC game. Spider-Man 2 The Game (GC/PS2/Xbox etc) and Ultimate Spider-man.

Other than that they've been a bit pants for a while.

The franchise needs to handed over to someone who will treat it completely differently. See: Batman Arkham Asylum.