NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
8-bit soul

Controller Worries

I'm sorry if this has been raised before but i am new (to Revolution-Europe)

I feel the hype has died down enough for this……

Don't get me wrong i love the 'Idea' of the Revo controller and i really want it to work and be very popular.

I try to look at these things objectively but the controller reminds of the Eye Toy which is also a great idea and a innovative way to play games, but its not the PS2 controller, its an accessory which boosts sales for the PS2 by attracting the so called non gamers to gaming or gamers feed up with the constant EA cash-ins.

So Sony has its bases covered by appealing to the gaming masses as well as appealing the novelty gamers with out sacrificing its current user base.

One problem with the Eye Toy though is how many of the Eye Toys games are basically the same game wrapped up in different graphics?

How many different variations of a flying or racing game can the revolution have before the novelty wears off and the similarities start to wear in?

I know Nintendo are the leaders in innovation and have invented a lot of what the gaming industry now take for granted and so I have not given up on them I’m just worried that Nintendo won’t be seducing any PS3 / XBOX 360 owners to part with their cash.

I’m a die-hard fan of Nintendo and have for longer than most but I can’t help but worry that the big N is in for a rough couple of years.

Yeah....but the difference is...the Eyetoy is crap, and can't be use for already existing games at all really, whereas the Revo controller can. It can be used for so many things aswell. And there is the shell ;)

You have to remember that there is another surprise of the Revo

This isnt eye toy. The controller is just a simpler interaction device, for all the "normal" games, and the revo games. Nothing is fun if its repeated over and over again. The interaction between you and your game is the key here. And with the revo controller, it will be all much simpler.

But, you also gets ways of interacting with the games, that has never been done before. I dont think you can compare the eye-toy to the revo controller, because it has so many more options. It isnt just made for making you move within a 3d space, its made for making the interaction with games be and look simpler.

if games using the revo controller will start to all feel similar, how are conventional controllers not in this scenario as well?

Apply your fears to a "standard" controller like the dual shock or GC pad or the 360 pad and then maybe you'll understand where nintendo is coming from.

Eyetoys main problem is its lack of support, thats same for any non standard peripheral. If it doenst come with the system then developers arent going to risk develoing for it.

Just look what happened when Microsoft announced the core package all the developers that were planning on utilizing the hard drive suddenly had to scrap their plans.

The problem with that is the developers still made the games for the xbox but will they take the same risk with nintendo or will they scrap their ideas completely and just stick mainstream, leaving nintendos novelty for nintendo only software like the microphone or dancemat or drums etc.

comparing the free hand to the gimmicy eyetoy tut tut tut free hand offers 6axis 3d movment far more than any anolog or mouse as its free natual movment not a mechanical nob or mouse its acual movment in 3d then add to that the nun chuck its clear the freehand offers pick up and play to non gamers yet enhancing the hardcore gamers experiance at the same time its 2 birds with one stone imagine better depth and acorasy than any k-board and mouse and easier pick up and play than any gaming pad then combine the 2 that is wot freehand offers eye toy is a gimmic ooooohhhh look im on the telly waving my hands ermmm no ta ill take what nintendo is offering free hands inpact on gaming will be bigger than anolog d-pad and rumble combined i carnt wait for it bring on the revolution

Remember, if the controller fails to deliver, they still got the shell.

But it would be a blow to Nintendo.

If the novelty wears of the quicker the better.

Because once it has worn off it has become the new accepted standard in video games which Nintendo invented in the 80s.

My real concern for the controller is that it will turn out cheap and plasticy as a result of Nintendo's attempts to lower cost.

How many different variations of a flying or racing game can the revolution have before the novelty wears off and the similarities start to wear in?

That can be applied to the standard controller, yet they keep coming.

Besides, being able to play games with one hand is too good to pass up. I remember playing the slot machines for several hours on Dragon Quest 8 the other day, which requires the constant pressing of one button and thinking, dammit im tired of holding this control pad, and how id rather be using the one-hand remote (which could easily control any RPG)

Sorry guys, but this topic is over a month old. Cubeboy, you need to STOP doing this, otherwise you're on the way to a ban.

Sign in to follow this