Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Lady Gaga

Beast

Yup.

Most popstar/singer who dressed or acted similarly to GaGa throughout the years were never aiming for the mainstream, and this was evident in their music. GaGa has both ends covered - EXTREMELY accessible music that will perform well both commercially AND critically (a rarity in pop/most of the time), whilst also doing her "performance art" and strange fashion. Weirdness in image was not conducive to popularity or commercial viability only a few years ago.

GaGa is a kinda....figurehead for what everyone else is doing now.

Will.I.Am (of the Black Eyed Peas) only a few years ago:

will_i_am.jpg

110985-nicki_minaj_will_i_am_red_carpet_vmas_2010_617_409.jpg

The Black-Eyed Peas music has also changed dramatically in style to fit what is now currently popular (electronic, dance, pop). Fittingly, his public image has too. I mean, he's painted black, with plastic hair in the above pic. Are you calling him "crazy"? :laughing:

As Chair said, Lady GaGa is calculated down to the last detail. Please...she's no rock star. She's not crashing parties, or causing scenes. Everything is planned and executed according to a plan. And it works. And for that she is to be commended.

Look at her when she launched. She was no weirder than ANYONE else nowadays.

lady-gaga-z100s-jingle-ball-2008-room-8HEWhk.jpg

I think the Madonna comparisons she's received throughout her (short) career (not counting this current one) are more to do with the fact both women recognised the power of being in control of your own image (relatively), and using said image to greatest effect. After all, what other female popstars are as known for their visuals than Madonna and Lady GaGa?

She's not crazy. She's not stupid. She's incredibly astute.

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never compared her to Madonna or anybody else for that matter but Born This Way is the only time I have. I've listened to it quite a bit and I'm still reminded of Madonna but in a good way. I do like the song a lot.

I don't think she's crazy either. I like how she dresses (not the meat though, that was just crazy to me) but I quite like to see what her next look would be and I don't say that about anybody else.

:hmm:

People wear leather, she wore meat. It's still torn off lumps of animal.

I got the message and I know what she's saying but I just wouldn't do it. I thought she did take it a little too far then and I did think it was crazy to do it. Other than that, I don't think she's crazy or what she wears is crazy but the meat thing was a little far. She must have stunk something bad after a couple of hours.

Are you defining "crazy" by things you "wouldn't do"?

Surely you "wouldn't do" 90% of what she does in public?

Whatevs...I know what you mean ( :) ), but it's a bit like "...". People should just take unusual things in, accept them, and move on, rather then have such a adverse reaction to them because they're out of the ordinary.

Are you defining "crazy" by things you "wouldn't do"?

Surely you "wouldn't do" 90% of what she does in public?

Whatevs...I know what you mean ( :) ), but it's a bit like "...". People should just take unusual things in, accept them, and move on, rather then have such a adverse reaction to them because they're out of the ordinary.

I agree with what you say but it's like me wearing slabs of meat over my body for a dinner or something. It's unusual and a step over the crazy line and I'd stink to high heavens, lol. If people said I was crazy for doing it then I would agree, haha.

But I do honestly say good on her for standing out. I mean, people talk about it and in result talk about her and she gets messages across so it's good she does things like that. I don't care what she wears, she's a talented artist.

• 2 weeks later...
Wait everyone is agreeing she isn't mental? She might make good tv but she is a nutjob. For example her new perfume. She wants some of her blood and some semen to be in each bottle.

I'm seriously beginning to doubt the intelligence/whatever of people who think she is genuinely "crazy"/"insane"/"a nutjob", based on the character she creates to sell her records to the general public. It's a bit like calling an actor crazy based on their portrayal of a crazy character.

Genuine mental instability and money-making machines do not go together well. If her record company had a mental patient on their hands, they would do everything to cover it over, or completely disown her. She's a smart woman who's created an incredibly successful character (Lady Gaga) to sell her records and keep her name in the press, without REALLY jeopardising her own true identity. This would work better in a world without internet/extreme gossip mags etc, but yeah. Her actions suggest the complete opposite of mental instabilty.

Good lord. :hmm:

Anyone else get a sense of David Blaine from that video. About from the bollocks about magic, there's that odd look in her eyes.

And Paj when I said she was crazy previously in this topic, I didn't mean she was a nutcase and should be locked up. She's just a bit mad/eccentric. If any one of us pulled half her stunts, we'd be asked if we were feeling alright. If I turned up to my works award ceremony in a fucking egg I wouldn't be able to show my face at work again.

So everything she does is extremely calculated and there's no way that she is even able to think up these crazy stunts because she is a little off in the head?

Sometimes I wish you weren't so awful.

I don't see how chatting shit about blood and semen in perfume bottles is "off in the head".

Artists have been doing this shyt forever. Lady GaGa is just using the mild controversy from when people like Mark Quinn produced his blood head thing(among others, but first that came to mind), and transferring it to her character. It gets her press. It makes her more interesting. Can we all just deal with it? She's not putting semen and blood in YOUR perfume bottles, fucks sake! :laughing:

Of course, though, the reactions you're all having is the intention. I think she's incredibly worthwhile having around for this exact reason. I believe her a little bit when she speaks crap - which is brilliant! She's making the music she wants, on her terms, is having fun with it, going about her career exactly how she wants to (as far as I can see). She doesn't wear prosthetic spikes because she's insane. No one accuses metal/whatever bands who dress up in characters as being mentally ill.

I hate defending things vehemently that I don't care vehementally about.

And Paj when I said she was crazy previously in this topic, I didn't mean she was a nutcase and should be locked up. She's just a bit mad/eccentric. If any one of us pulled half her stunts, we'd be asked if we were feeling alright. If I turned up to my works award ceremony in a fucking egg I wouldn't be able to show my face at work again.

I know, but then the same logic can be applied to almost every pop/rock star/entertainer. Katy Perry is fairly straight-laced in comparison, but if someone turned up to work in a blue wig with cream spraying from their tits, they'd be looked upon strangely too, lol. Again, think of any pop or rock singer to EVER dress up or act unusually as part of their act...people usually don't emulate them directly, nor are they expected to. :)

"Showbusiness" is not reality, it never has been. It's all about putting on a show...dressing up, larger than life etc. I think nowadays the public wants their celebrities to be completely human and full of flaws and for us to know every intricate detail of their private lives. Thank god Lady GaGa is a complete construct.

Clearly we have different definitions of a little off in the head. She's not mentally ill. She is a little strange, a little off in the head, she has vastly deviant ideas and that's what makes her weird, she is different. It's being that little off from everyone else that gives her such eccentric ideas.

I don't think anyone is talking about it in clinical sense.

Clearly we have different definitions of a little off in the head. She's not mentally ill. She is a little strange, a little off in the head, she has vastly deviant ideas and that's what makes her weird, she is different. It's being that little off from everyone else that gives her such eccentric ideas.

I don't think anyone is talking about it in clinical sense.

Exactly. 10chars yo

I quite liked how (relatively) pared back that video is. Some lovely visuals from Nick "I directed Pagan Poetry for Bjork and so am a King of Life" Knight. She looked like she didn't really know what she was meant to be doing whilst she was dancing though. I like these prosthetic things she wears.

I love/find it amusing how her visuals are so much more compelling than her music.

"You're Lebanese, you're orient...life's disabilities..." :laughing:

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!