Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

The Fighter

Paj!

I saw this film tonight. The trailer didn't grab me particularly, nor did it repel me. I was most interested due to the hype it had been getting RE: the actual acting performances.

the_fighter_poster_01_christian_bale_mark_wahlberg_.jpg

I thought it was very good, and yeah, the performances from all involved REALLY stand-out as "yes.". Arguably Wahlberg was the least "!!!" of the lot, but then it worked fine/he was still good.

Sharp script, good pacing, and great characterisation of all involved. Avoiding the cliches in terms of painting a character as just an archtype.

The mother and the millions of sisters were hilariously vicious. Amy Adams stunned me too - I know she was nominated for best supporting actress for Doubt, but I was pretty clueless as to why, she barely did anything of note in that film. Here she's awesome.

Obviously it's Bale that has been getting most notice from this film and he does stun. Hard to imagine this guy being Batman - which is of course a sign of a good actor. :)

I heartily recommend. Considering I'm ambivalent towards boxing, it's not REALLY the central focus, similarly to how Black Swan isn't really a "ballet" film.

Anyone else seen it? It wasn't the be-all and end-all, but I think it was a very good film, considering the film could have been wallowing in cliches from its inception (Boxing, family loyalty issues blah blah, but it stuns.).

Glad to see Bale coming up well on this. After the last few years it was beginning to feel like the character actor of American Psycho and The Mechanist was increasingly being replaced by That Guy Who Flipped Out On Set For Terminator Salvation.

I will try and see this. Basically because of Bale.

You know, I realise how stupid this is to say but I can't be bothered to see it because it's about boxing. Like, Million Dollar Baby was obviously brilliant but still left me a bit '...'

Hypocritical considering how much I berate people for passing Black Swan for it being about ballet. Dunno, I probably will see it anyway.

You know, I realise how stupid this is to say but I can't be bothered to see it because it's about boxing. Like, Million Dollar Baby was obviously brilliant but still left me a bit '...'

Hypocritical considering how much I berate people for passing Black Swan for it being about ballet. Dunno, I probably will see it anyway.

Yeah, the trailer makes it seem much more "about boxing" than it feels whilst watching. What is 100% more important in the film are the characters and their individual influences of Micky (Wahlberg) and their relationships/lives etc.

Similar to The Wrestler in that sense I suppose.

But yeah, I bet I wouldn't have initiated going to see it. I would have been more likely to have organised a trip to go see Rabbit Hole. :heh: But for once I didn't have to organise stuff and was just invited (which is more...inviting. Plus I'd heard stunning things so I was a great temptation).

This film was awesome,

It's a modern Rocky pretty much, but a true story Rocky.

also yes... Bale is just incredible, He really really plays Dickie very well, He must of spent so much time with the guy to play the role as well as he did.

As you mentioned too, Wahlberg is good in the film too, in fact very good. Shame he didn't get a nod for best actor at the Oscars.

I tell you what though, The best supporting actor this year is defiantly a tough one to call. Geoffrey Rush is brilliant in Kings speech, but Bale was equally if not more brilliant IMO in the fighter.

Just seems unfortunate timing for this film to be released so close to the Kings Speech, as i'm pretty confident that'll take every award it's nominated for.