N-Europe

Thoughts on Suicide

Paj!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, I thought I knew kingston relatively well and I'm sure I've been outside the ol' bentalls walking up to the clubs and whatnot, never actually been inside the shopping centre though, it looks pretty cool! I might have to actually do a day there sometime.

The story is still quite junior, seems there's a lot of hearsay atm, I'll wait until some more solid information comes to light probably.

I have an uncle who commited suicide, I consider him very selfish. He did it by jumping infront of a train, an act that pretty much ruined my Nans life and the train drivers apparently.

I know a story of a man who did the same. He was a nurse for nigh on all of his life who looked after people who had the same sort of problems(depression, schizophrenia, bipolar, etc to name a general sort). I'd say probably at least 30 years of his life, in fact. I don't know the ins and outs, the whys or whatfors and I never knew him personally, but a lot of people I work with did, including half my family. He spent 30 years of his life working for the NHS caring for people with problems, then one day he had one himself and threw himself in front of a train, was he very selfish, too?

I've sometimes sort of scraped hitting that place, more so in the last year or so too and realistically with no good reason. The thought has come up in my mind and so sometimes I can understand in part why/how people end up where they're at. To say it's the easy, or easier, way out, I'm not so sure. Surely it takes a lot to do? To know how much it's going to hurt everyone you love, and still do it?

I think I've got a lot more to say on the matter, but it's confusing sometimes, and quite complex. I'll leave this here til I have a bit more of a think.

After reading this I've come to shape my own opinion that unless you've been terribly depressed and/or suicidal I don't think we can comment. I often think of death etc. but not much else.

"Hold them cheap / May who ne'er hung there."

If you had nothing to lose (i.e. everything in your life was shit), would you consider suicide or would you do something else? Continue to trudge through life or do something drastic?

(I'm aware that if you are in the mind of someone suicidal then what you say now won't apply. But let's be hypothetical anyway.)

Yes. He wanted to end his own life, why ruin the train driver's as well?

Ok, I guess I see it that way. It was weirder for me being related by degrees to the man in question, I always used to think how selfish a thing it was etcetc to jump into a train and whatnot. Nobody knows how impulsive or planned it was, but there's also other aspects, if you have thought about it long enough, you start to think about what ways you'd do it, surely? What would you suggest as a less selfish way? Overdose or hanging in the home for your loved ones to have to discover, god knows which one? Hanging in a park for a stranger to discover, god knows who? What options are there, really, and how does one choose? When you're planning to be on your way out, who's life would you rather affect, a family member/friend who has to discover you, or random strangers you don't know? Not like you'll regret your decision much after, you gotta do all of that beforehand.

Ok, I guess I see it that way. It was weirder for me being related by degrees to the man in question, I always used to think how selfish a thing it was etcetc to jump into a train and whatnot. Nobody knows how impulsive or planned it was, but there's also other aspects, if you have thought about it long enough, you start to think about what ways you'd do it, surely? What would you suggest as a less selfish way? Overdose or hanging in the home for your loved ones to have to discover, god knows which one? Hanging in a park for a stranger to discover, god knows who? What options are there, really, and how does one choose? When you're planning to be on your way out, who's life would you rather affect, a family member/friend who has to discover you, or random strangers you don't know? Not like you'll regret your decision much after, you gotta do all of that beforehand.

Well I don't know many of the ways to commit suicide. But if you overdosed. A relative discovering you would be no different to a relative discovering you had you died.

Surely a relative doesn't discover you on the tracks? They hear the news, maybe ID a body. It's still pretty messed up, but imagine you finding a family member of yours dead in your home, committed suicide, maybe even left a note. You gonna feel good in that house as time goes on? You gonna get that memory out of your head when you walk into rooms? Not that you forget about any suicide, just...it's a bit more removed somewhere not close to home or life, surely?

Surely a relative doesn't discover you on the tracks? They hear the news, maybe ID a body. It's still pretty messed up, but imagine you finding a family member of yours dead in your home, committed suicide, maybe even left a note. You gonna feel good in that house as time goes on? You gonna get that memory out of your head when you walk into rooms? Not that you forget about any suicide, just...it's a bit more removed somewhere not close to home or life, surely?

I'm sure a train driver would feel the same each time he walked into the "cockpit" of each train he commanded. Would this time be different? Would someone else jump in front of me? Why don't I?

I meant it wouldn't be different than discovering them if they had died some other way.