Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

That's So Not Raven

Ashley

I think Smallville is a special case anyway. It always had good enough ratings but it's been known for a few years that it was ending so it was moved to Friday. What happened then though was it's ratings still stayed suprisingly high for a friday show which is why it actually got an extra season when everyone thought 9 was the last. This is also why there's even been rumours of an eleventh season, although that won't happen.

I'd say it's more to do with losing the casual viewers, the proper fans who watched the show will follow it to another day but the people who just watched it because maybe it was on after another show they liked wouldn't bother. Its not gonna be this massive coincidence that pretty much every show that gets moved to Friday nights loses a percentage of their viewer numbers

The reason why every show looses viewers is simple, most people tend to go out on Friday nights. Obviously not everyone, but the majority won't put off a social outing to stay home and watch 45 mins of TV. It hasn't changed for any show on a Friday night for 20 years, I doubt will anytime soon. Yes, shows will loose the casual viewers but I'd be surprised if the third of viewers that Smallville lost were all casual.

I'd agree with both parts (the first part is what I was trying to say, you just said it better) but I still say you can't say "the ratings must be ignored/adjusted just because its on Friday". Yes, Friday is a bad night for TV (less so now then it used to be) but there are no ifs and buts when it comes to this. Likewise Tuesday/Thursday is a good night for comedies but Cougar Town still does reasonably well on Wednesday.

I'm not saying the ratings should be ignored, simply trying to explain why they are how they are. The one hard and fast rule on TV is that Friday nights is a no no. You can't compare it to a Tuesday/Thursday or any other day that carries major network original programming. It's why the networks don't put their best shows on that day, only ones facing the axe or in Smallvilles case on the way out.

Edited by Jon

The reason why every show looses viewers is simple, most people tend to go out on Friday nights. Obviously not everyone, but the majority won't put off a social outing to stay home and watch 45 mins of TV. It hasn't changed for any show on a Friday night for 20 years, I doubt will anytime soon. Yes, shows will loose the casual viewers but I'd be surprised if the third of viewers that Smallville lost were all casual.

I am actually agreeing with you, I completely understand about people going out Friday nights and thats why its known to have lower ratings. I was just saying that a lot of that can be put down to the casual viewers who wouldnt make a point to stay in to watch the show. Yeah of course it'll lose even the proper fans to nights out but its the fact that the other days of the week just have more people in general watching tv, hardcore fans or not.

I am actually agreeing with you, I completely understand about people going out Friday nights and thats why its known to have lower ratings. I was just saying that a lot of that can be put down to the casual viewers who wouldnt make a point to stay in to watch the show. Yeah of course it'll lose even the proper fans to nights out but its the fact that the other days of the week just have more people in general watching tv, hardcore fans or not.

Yeah that's very true. For some reason the change of a timeslot makes it very difficult for a viewer to pick up the remote and change the channel :heh:

All I was trying to say really was that you have too look at show ratings that air on Friday nights subjectively.

Nostalgia!

I only remember her from the Teen Titans cartoon...was she is something else? :hmm: Please don't burn me :p

However I'm a little disappointed this thread isn't about my favorite Disney programme/only one I actually liked....That's so Raven :love:

Nostalgia!

I only remember her from the Teen Titans cartoon...was she is something else? :hmm: Please don't burn me :p

However I'm a little disappointed this thread isn't about my favorite Disney programme/only one I actually liked....That's so Raven :love:

Spelling favourite like that and liking that program. I have lost all respect for you.

Spelling favourite like that and liking that program. I have lost all respect for you.

Oh well ;)

You said the same when we went to McDonalds and possibly other things...maybe it was my musical taste.

I'm used to you losing respect for me :laughing:

@Chairdriver: :hug: